Notices

First go at sobriety at 23

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First go at sobriety at 23

Hi, everyone.

I'm 23 and in the portland area.

I started drinking at 13 or 14, it started with sneaking a drink or so from the fridge, then to my mother (who is no longer in my life, she left us in 2010) buying me shooters and us drinking together, then to me drinking a bottle of wine a night, then to me drinking half a box of wine a day.
It needs to stop.

The first thing I think about when I wake up is to get a cup of wine to stop the shakes and the nausea. Then I'll have another, usually head to work with a 1ltr filled with wine and drink on my breaks, then as soon as I get home I'd drink more until I fall asleep.

Before recently, no one has ever mentioned my alcoholism or asked me to stop. I was with my ex wife for 3 years and she never complained, my family never complained even though were aware of how much I drank.

I got divorced in November 2016 and have been with my boyfriend since before that. He is the one who brought it to my attention that it is a real, HUGE problem. I don't like how I feel when I drink anymore, I don't like not remembering things, I don't like fearing a DUI or getting fired all the time, and I know that we want to have a baby in 2 years and I HAVE to be sober for that.
So with this opportunity of time that I have (I am starting a new job in mid April and just quit my old job) I am going to use it to go to rehab.
It will be an out-patient program, as I don't have 90 days to do an inpatient program, nor would I want to, and my evaluation is on Tuesday 3/21. I'm very nervous, but my family has been so supportive and I'm ready to do this.

Anyways, that's my introduction.
Wish me luck!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Mainecoonmamma

I hope the the outpatient programme will help.

Tons of support here too.

D
Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing your story. I hope the out patient program helps you.

SR is also a great support, 24/7 there is always someone to offer support and encouragement.

Glad you found us
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I Know loads of people who got sober in their twenties, and stayed that way. I got sober at 22. It can be done, no question, if you are willing to do whatever it takes.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I also got sober young (though not as young as you) and it is the best thing I ever did for myself! I have a lot of friends who got sober and stayed sober in their early-mid 20s. I am on cape cod and I know a lot of folks who did the sobriety route up your way. Portland has some fantastic meetings and a great recovery community! This is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. It won't always be easy, but if you stick with it, it will be worth it! I believe in you!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I first attempted to get sober in my 20s, but felt I was "missing out" on too much. Thirty years later and I can clearly see that I should have stayed sober. Everything got worse for me and whatever it was that I was looking for became increasingly elusive. On the other hand, a couple of friends who got and stayed sober in their 20s went on to build pretty incredible lives.