Notices

Newcomer Introduction

Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer Introduction

My name is Steve M., I am 29 years old and currently reside in Eastern Pennsylvania. I was first introduced to opiates my sophomore year of college at Arizona State University and have had a love/hate affair with them ever since.

Opiates have caused me to drop out of college, spend numerous years of my life in the state prison system, and been the cause of countless trips to rehabilitative services. Enough is enough.

My most current run started around August of 2016 and I have finally decided to seek the help that I need in order to regain control of my life and give the woman I love the man that she deserves.

I began seeing a therapist a couple of weeks ago and came clean to him about my past and on-going usage of opiates. We talked about my different options and I have decided to try something new (suboxone) in combination with something old (NA/AA Fellowship) that had worked for me.

So, starting Monday 03.20.2017, I will begin a suboxone maintenance program. At this time I am not sure what the doctor will recommend in terms of the length of time for my program, but I am thinking wanting to be somewhere in the 9-15 month range. In combination with the suboxone treatment, I will continue to see my therapist weekly and begin going to NA meetings again. I view this website as a support tool as well, a 24-hour a day resource of fellow addicts who can offer their experience, strength, and hope.

Week One of Recovery:
Monday- Meet with Suboxone Doctor, Begin Treatment
Tuesday- Attend an NA Meeting, Get a Basic Text
Wednesday- Off
Thursday- Weekly Therapist Session
Friday- Attend NA Meeting, Seek out a Sponsor
Saturday- Off
Sunday- Dedicate 1 hour to reading Basic Text

So there you have it community; A brief background of who I am, and a brief overview of my plan for my first week of recovery.

I look forward to any feedback you have to give and I look forward to getting to know the people of this community as I grow in my recovery!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Not my DOC Steve, but I send you my best wishes, and suggest that, motivated as you are, dealing with cravings will be your biggest challenge.

Apart from physical dependence, cravings tend to pop up any time you're feeling tense, upset, hungry, thirsty, tired or any combo that causes stress. Your brain is used to turning to opiates in any of these situations.

Search for 'cravings' on SR and you'll find many threads with ideas on how to deal with them, both during withdrawal, and later when you think you're home free.

All the best.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suboxone works great with dealing with cravings. I have never actually been on a doctor's suboxone program but I have experimented with it several times over the years and it works wonders. I just finally got around to ponying up the money ,since my insurance wont cover it, and doing it the right way.

Plus being on state parole dictates that I get my **** together ASAP or I land my ass back in the state pen
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on demonstrating the willingness to implement a plan of action

staying active in the fellowship of aa is why im clean and sober today

Old 03-17-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The fellowship definitely works! I am a 12-step believer... I just think that combining it with the suboxone treatment will be even more effective for me, especially early in my recovery. Not having to go through withdrawals and cravings will be a huge plus, especially with having a full-time job

Thank you everyone for your support!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Steve M, great to have you with us!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, I actually remember you from the last time I registered and participated on these forums several years back
Old 03-17-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Here and now

Hey steve, don't have much in terms of advice because I was a beer guy, but I can offer my support. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, all the best to you!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) SteveM

D
Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Steve.

I'm so sorry for all the painful things you've gone through. My doc is alcohol, but I put myself through hell too. When I came to SR I was completely broken. Having the understanding & friendship of this community has meant the world. I have over 9 yrs. sober - never dreamed it could happen. I know you can reclaim your life too. Welcome.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, 9 years is a hell of an accomplishment. Hopefully I can get there one day at a time.

I took my last dose today, a few hours ago. Now it's time to start the recovery process. I just wanted to minimize the amount of time I was sick before I started my Suboxone treatment.

Clean date will be 03.19.2017
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steve, I'm glad to hear that you've found us here and that you're giving up the opiates. It sounds like you have a good plan in place, and you will always find support here.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going today, Steve? Thinking of you.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I stopped using opiates on Saturday, I made it through the discomfort on Sunday and saw the doctor this morning. He started me on Bunavail which is the same thing as suboxone basically, just absorbed through your cheek instead of under your tongue.

So I plan on being on the suboxone for about 1-2 months and slowly weening myself off, then switching over to Vivatrol which I know works great for me.

I started a new job today and felt great! I know I will eventually need to be off of the suboxone but for now, it's a step in the right direction for me.

I still plan on attending counseling and starting a 12-step program as well to help me get a foundation for when I do get off of the suboxone.

So my goal for this week is continued abstinence from opiates, taking my Bunavail as prescribed, and attending at least 2 NA Meetings.

Hope everyone else is having a good day and feels as blessed as I do to have another shot at recovery. I truly need to consider it a blessing that I even get the opportunity to go through recovery again, so many people die or go back to prison before seeking the help they need.

Date of Sobriety: 3/19/2017