Notices

Day 1 again

Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

St Patrick's day seems like a pretty good day for a sober-versary. Next St Pat's I'll have a year sober but right now I am suffering through another day one
Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to ask but... what happened? I am new here and I apologise if this is insensitive but I am curious what it was that pushed you to drink again, if you know?

Edit; also, good luck with your new Day 1. It's a good anniversary to have.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmm ... i didn't eat breakfast yesterday, have been under stress at work, anxiety has been ratcheting up ... Lots of excuses ... but really it's just that I made a self destructive decision to go drink beer. I know that if I drink even one sip it always ends in a binge and I went and did it anyway ...
Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Hmm ... i didn't eat breakfast yesterday, have been under stress at work, anxiety has been ratcheting up ... Lots of excuses ... but really it's just that I made a self destructive decision to go drink beer. I know that if I drink even one sip it always ends in a binge and I went and did it anyway ...
Well, if you want to make it a year sober by next St. Patrick's Day, work on coping with stress and anxiety...cause those aren't going away. But the drinking has to.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Starting day 1 also. We can do this together! This is actually the perfect day to stop. So many will be hung over tomorrow and we won't.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you came back Spartanman. Have you given any thought to what you might do to make sure you have a year sober by next St Patricks day? You mentioned in another post that you"feel" the reasons not to drink today due to the hangover/shame, etc. However, those symptoms are almost always temporary, and you need to find something to keep your focus on staying sober once they go away. And there is always going to be stress, anxiety and general discomfort in your life...so you have to find a way to deal with them upfront instead of drinking to "cope".
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

heres a chip for ya

Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get a plan together and keep moving forward, you can do this!!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Well, if you want to make it a year sober by next St. Patrick's Day, work on coping with stress and anxiety...cause those aren't going away. But the drinking has to.
and add stop making excuses part of the work.

for every problem there is a solution.
i have choices today- allow stress to control me or decide nothings worth stressing over. let anxiety control me or learn how to control it.

if ya don't remember your last drunk, ya haven't had it yet.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Understood, thanks for the candid reply. I guess that's the decision we all keep having to make. I'm doing something kind of weird, everytime the little devil inside my brain tells me one drink won't hurt, it'll take the edge off and everything will be fine, I just run around for 15 minutes. I actually got out of my car and ran around a residential block today. I was too tired and over it when I was done to think about getting beer so I went home. I look like an ass but then again I look like more of an ass drunk.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad it didn't last long Spartanman!

That's a great tactic rmeatgt350!