Notices

Vegas!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vegas!

Well I got the last ski weekend of the season coming up, then off to Vegas with 18 of our closest friends for my wife's 40th bday, I have tickets for monster truck world finals for next weekend and am so pumped for that, we have been there for it 5 times but the last time was 3 years ago, this will be my first trip to Vegas without drinking, not gonna lie I'm a bit nervous but I know I can do it, I will hit 100 days while we are there and I don't want to have to start at one again, lol.

I guess most of the stuff we do after we stop is a learning experience, all the first times for doing stuff sober.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it would be really interesting to experience Las Vegas sober. It is such an odd place.
Keep those sober muscles strong. Might not be a bad idea to have an escape plan if you find yourself wanting to drink.
Get out, go for some fresh air, have something to eat. Like that.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey sportdeck, I hope you have an awesome time. But in the back of your mind make sure to keep your sobriety first and foremost. Hate to see you slip. Have fun.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just think of all the drunken 'idiots' you'll be able to watch,while sober! There's a song/video on youtube called "The Vegas girl walk", That will show you what you're in for.

Here it is :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyfCNq9Ti4
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sportdeck, you may have already experienced this but there is a certain level of satisfaction waking up fresh and ready to go when the rest of the world (basically) is hungover as hell. For example, the 4th of July and News Years Eve...I've had 2 sober of each and the next day everyone is worthless and I'm up and at it. That's the payoff.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've experienced that a few times already, and it is very nice, couple weeks ago we had a get together and my buddy was a complete write off the next day, guess who took my kids and his kids skiing that day, not him, lol.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to Vegas four times for 10-12 days each - sober.

And that was in the context of an all-expense-paid free-for-all of corporate debauchery with booze flowing pretty much non-stop.

I learned a few things:

1 - Not as many people are drinking as much as I thought before at these events.

2 - You can actually have a fair bit of fun in Vegas without drinking.

3 - Vegas is one of the last places I ever care about going again, now that I'm sober.

Enjoy your time. See some cool shows, ride the roller coaster at the NY NY, jump off the Stratosphere - it's AMAZING!!! (pro tip; do it at night).

All of the Cirque shows are well worth seeing.

But yeh..... though I now know I can easily make it through Vegas sober.... there are literally thousands of places I'd prefer to go than that city of excess and money-wasting.

Stay strong, enjoy, stay sober.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually never drank much when I was in Vegas before, have a few sure but don't think I ever got drunk there, too much to see and do, we go mainly for the monster trucks, and we always drive to lake havasu for a day and rent a boat to get my winter fix, we are Vegas pro's already lol, been there 8 times, 5 times for the monster trucks, a lot of the people going with us are first timers, I can't wait to get out of this depressing weather, it's been very cold here for the last few weeks, just starting to warm up a bit here now.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the great advantages of sober life in Vegas is the poker rooms. On a table of 9, theres always ~3 drunk guys ready to go all in with nothing. You can make over $1000 in about 4 hours with extreme conservative play.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like(d) walking through the major strip hotels around checkout time on a Sunday. Seeing the utter misery and disgust/shame on their faces. I'd laugh and laugh....until one day it was me doing that/those walks of shame.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
One of the great advantages of sober life in Vegas is the poker rooms. On a table of 9, theres always ~3 drunk guys ready to go all in with nothing. You can make over $1000 in about 4 hours with extreme conservative play.
Until a drunk rivers out on a 2/7 off suit to your pockets. Had that happen a few times!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well the big day is here, off to the airport soon with 17 other people, got a ton of activities planned, Friday night there is a pub crawl on a bus which my wife and I and 2 of the other couples that are our closest friends declined, not a good idea for me, lol. And there's better things I'd rather do that sit in a bar in Vegas.

Can't wait for Monster truck world finals on Saturday, always the highlight of the trip for me, not sure what my internet will be like as I won't have data on my phone down there but hopefully I can find some wifi if I feel I need to check in here.

Have a great weekend everyone and see you Monday if not sooner.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a fabulous time!! My husband and I were just there for his 50th. We spent some time with his brother and sister in law, and the rest just us. We gambled some during the day, had fabulous dinners, and saw two incredible concerts. The rest of my group did drink, but I wasn't tempted.

Vegas is definitely an interesting place, and I enjoyed our three nights there, but was ready to come back at the end of the weekend.

Have fun, and check in when you can.

❤Delilah