Notices

Help

Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Most people on here know my history, but I cannot stop drinking. I came from another city where I was almost a doctor but my drinking got out of hand. I moved from Sheffield (the third biggest city in England) expecting everything would get better but things are as bad as ever. I don't know how to stop drinking. Everyday I say I'm not going to drink today but as the day goes on I think why not a bottle of wine, and then it's why not a half litre of vodka. I cannot sleep without a drink.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Most people on here know my history, but I cannot stop drinking.
Have you gone to in-patient residential treatment for help?

If not - why not?

"I moved from Sheffield (the third biggest city in England) expecting everything would get better but things are as bad as ever" Why would you think that moving across the country would fix anything when your issue is internal?

It looks like you need help separating yourself physically from the ability to get alcohol. That's what residential treatment is for (among other things).
Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could be time for serious stuff. James. Second Micro's suggestion. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi James. I can relate. For the last few years I would wake up determined not to drink and be headed to the bottle shop by 5pm. I've had 4 months of trying to get sober with lots of false starts and today I've made it to 7 days. I was in a pretty dark place of anxiety, shame and despair. If I can make it a week then anything is possible. The first step for me was going to my doctor and admitting my problem. Maybe that could be your first step?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

James, I think you could consider inpatient treatment. It might be what you need. Other than that, get rid of the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. Make a plan to keep yourself busy and a plan for your recovery.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-15-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
I moved from Sheffield (the third biggest city in England) expecting everything would get better but things are as bad as ever.
I remember, and I suggested staying put when you told us about your problems back then. There is only one way out, and that is to actually stop drinking.

Some discomfort is a part of doing that, and you need to remember that you are choosing short term discomfort in order to obtain the benefit of freedom from the addiction.

It may help to stay with people who do not drink at all for a bit, if you are able, but that is not a long term solution. You can't hide from alcohol forever, but consider not having any on hand for a while.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this James, but nothing changes if nothing changes!!

Try something new, change things up and give something new a go, you're worth it!!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seems it's time to pull out all the stops and put your heart and soul into sobriety and recovery. I agree that in-patient treatment may be appropriate, James.

Have you seen this link? It is well worth the read (as is the link provided by Anna):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you the best James.

I've suggested various things before - all I can suggest this time is you do something different...

do something other than drinking.

D