Notices

A strong plan for everyday ups and downs?

Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A strong plan for everyday ups and downs?

I am sober just over 2 weeks, but even in that short time, different everyday but unexpected things crop up to challenge the decision to not drink, and I have found that I need different strategies to deal with them.

Some family plans fell through last week, which made me nervous as it gave me an opportunity to drink during a period which I previously thought was accounted for and 'safe'.

I have been unwell since yesterday with a viral illness, and as a result, I have wanted to drink.

My strategies mostly depend on drawing on knowledge I have gained from this site such as:
recognise my AV
visit SR (don't always feel like doing this though and can feel a part of me rebelling against this, when the AV is in full flow)
recall why I quit drinking ( I have written the reasons down a couple of times as a reference, but never refer to the list, can't really explain why, probably because I don't feel like facing it)
do something other activity (often this is going to bed)

My plan looks a bit flimsy when written down like that, especially in the face of the "Stuff It" or "Who Cares" thoughts which appear.

Maybe I need to draw more on the positives of not drinking and there have been so many already, especially with my young son. A few times he has distracted me from drinking just by being his brilliant wee funny self and I could engage with him because I was sober and gave my time to him.

What can I do to buck up my attitude and strengthen and add to my plan?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that when I'm craving I play the tape forward... What will happen if I drink... I also recently had a friend suggest play the tape backward... to what life was like when I had long term sobriety. I really like that strategy because I had never had so much inner peace. And then I slipped... and now here I am again...
Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to bed only helps when it's actually bed time, and you need the rest as part of your self care routine. I think oversleeping to avoid drinking is just replacing one addiction with another.

I have to be very mindful of the less obvious motivations behind everything that I do. I go to bed to avoid tending to responsibilities or taking care of myself, then I am getting dangerously close to the mindset that allows me to qualify my drinking.

So I have to be very careful I don't spend much time in avoidance behaviors, and when I catch myself, switch to a more productive mindset. What can I do right now to take care of responsibilities, take care of myself, improve myself, and really make good use of this day.

This is what I should do. I am not saying I actually do this ever.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

The offered advice is very good. Think about avoidance and what it really does.

The idea of positives is a good one. What good things does sobriety bring you. Let those be there. Do things that counter the urges to not know. Focus on a truth. Some truth that you are comfortable with. Whenever you have an urge to dissociate or be asleep when not to get usual sleep, whenevr you turn away from a task or thought that is painful, try to focus on a simple truth like "I have a foot" (given of course that you have one ), any simple truth. Focus on that and do whatever you don't want to do anyway. Let the resultant feelings be there and keep focusing on a truth. Each time you haven't drunk and gotten through it you'll be stronger and more confident that you can do this. You can. You need to prove it to yourself.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brenda-thank you. I do have to monitor my sleep as I have a tendency to also try to get relief from depression by sleeping and at times have neglected my responsibilities by sleeping.

Grymt- thank you. I will remember that one word -truth. That will help me face the reality of what drink had become in my life. A monster which I let smother me.

Another thing I will add to my list is role models. I admire sober people. I want to be one of them.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some really good plan ideas here too carlygirl

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D