Notices

Brand New to SR

Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi J9 - welcome to SR and congratulations on your 50 days. you asked if using SR as soul support is enough. Well, it is enough for me. I am two years sober and used only this forum. Like you, I did a lot of reading on addiction and also watched hours of video on youtube.

My epiphany came about 3-4 months into sobriety when I realized that I would never have to suffer another Day 1, or any of the problems associated with drinking if I never drank again. I follow the premise behind Rational Recovery and made my big plan (you can read all about this method in the Secular part of this online forum). The big plan is simply - "I do not drink, ever, and I will never change my mind - NO MATTER WHAT" . With that declaration you are free, you never have to think about whether going anywhere will be a problem, or an event - because you don't drink - no matter what. No making that daily decision - you only make that decision once. No meetings. No sponsors. No steps.

It's a method that many people use with success. Go read about it and see if fits for you.

Calicofish
Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J9NoWine View Post
Truly grateful to have found you all!!....Think this forum will be a lifesaver for me as I have basically been white knuckling it until now. Cannot seem to stop the constant chatter in my head...and staying on task to completion. When does your brain clear and focus again???
I'm going to risk embarrassing myself with an arithmetic error, but 50+ days would put your quitting date in January, right?

I've quit in January, too, and have been posting in the Class of January thread and have found it really useful to team up with others who are at a similar stage of recovery as me: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-24.html

It's been reassuring to see that ups and downs are normal in early recovery and that it does take time for the fog to clear and a sense of normalcy to return.

Congratulations on 50 days!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J9NoWine View Post
Wow! I am actually doing it...This is Day 50 sober for me and my first time ever actually writing anything about my sobriety so please be patient. I have been following SR since Day 1 and sincerely believe this community has been the reason that I have made it this far.

I turned 50 last year and realized that I had not had a sober day (apart from my two pregnancies) in over 30 years. My vice is wine (white specifically) and had gradually crept up to two bottles a night during the week and non stop from morning to night on the weekends. I basically was unable to function without a full glass in my hand and every day was beginning to become the same mind-numbing drudgery to the point that I couldn't stand myself anymore and wanted to stop but just couldn't imagine a life without drinking.

A bit of background. I am the mother of two teenage boys, have a stressful/demanding job with a long commute and my partner travels approximately every second week for work...so wine has been my crutch to get through the long stressful and somewhat lonely weeks but I have let it get out of control.

Funny how life sometimes work though.. In January I had been to see my doctor who was concerned over some recent blood work results, high blood pressure, and recent weight gain. This ended in an honest "come to Jesus" chat that was very teary (on my part) with a definite plan in place.

Week one was brutal with withdrawal with the following weeks becoming much easier however the last week or so have been much more mentally challenging (ie: depression, despair, low energy...blah, blah). Friends and family have been very supportive as it was quite obvious that I was struggling.

Quitting drinking is the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life and I am desperate not to go back to being that pathetic, controlled person who was missing out on her life and the true joy of being involved and present in the boys lives.

I have considered joining a local AA group but have been hesitant as it just doesn't feel like the right fit for me. I have been doing a ton of reading (books, sobriety blogs, etc.) and wonder if this is enough to be successful long term.

Any advice?

J9
Hi J9 and welcome
I also drank white wine every night and was up to 2.5 bottles a night. I felt sick and very sweaty at work during the day I knew I needed to stop.
I did it on my own because I was ready to stop ....I read here at SR and read books on the subject.....
I feel reborn and so much better.....I had withdrawal symptoms of fatigue, diarrhea and headaches for almost 3 months once I hit the 90 day mark I knew I wasn't going back.....I had one bad day where I thought about drinking but I talked myself out of it.
You can do this you really need to be ready to make the change.
Good luck
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you Calicofish...This is brilliant and makes total sense to me! ...If I can convince my unconscious mind to accept that I do not drink then not drinking will be a non-issue. I think that you have opened a window for me!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You would be correct MrMcTell... Jan 22nd to be exact. Would love to join the January form!...Thank you. Will chat soon.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have not used AA and have remained sober for about 17 months. My approach was a wholesale lifestyle change and this forum. Now that I have some sober time under my belt I have professed publicly that if I was to relapse and could not quit I would enter rehab. Sobriety is that important to me.