Notices

Day 4 health anxiety

Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 health anxiety

I'm on day 4. I have no desire to drink but am in a state of panic. The palms of my hands and soles of my feet are slightly red. The soles of my feet blanch yellow when pressure is applied..is this normal? Or is this jaundice?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SoberNunn - I'm not a Dr but one old Dr once said to me - he said if you start looking like the Simpsons get back to me.

He gave me the impression jaundice was pretty unmistakable in Caucasian adults.

It helped me stop worrying about jaundice.

I understand the fear, tho, and of course if you're feeling unwell or especially concerned, please do see your doctor

but as long as you're staying sober I think you're giving your body and mind the best chance to heal

D
Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D.
I read online that red palms are a sign or cirrhosis and I can't stop analysing my hands and feet. Eyes are slightly yellow in inner corner but I think that's normal too.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have various different lights in my house - an incandescent light can give off a more yellow glow than a florescent one for example and under the 'wrong' light I used to terrify myself.

The bottom line is if you think there's a yellowness to your skin, eyes or wherever then its probably worth peace of mind to get it checked out .
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

See a doc- do not self diagnose.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would advise staying away from google to look for a diagnosis. That will do nothing but drive you insane.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right ljc267. I used to be a firm believer in Dr. Google. I killed myself off with various afflictions about 4 times before I quit. I no longer look my ailments up!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you Nunn?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
I'm on day 4. I have no desire to drink but am in a state of panic. The palms of my hands and soles of my feet are slightly red. The soles of my feet blanch yellow when pressure is applied..is this normal? Or is this jaundice?
I wouldn't want to offer a diagnosis and you shouldn't try either. Assess your health in terms of "Am I in any danger?", breathing, bleeding, etc. If you think you need to, or can't get through withdrawal without medical help, then by all means, get help. Keep in mind though, that on day 4, you are going to be panicky, stressed, anxiety ridden and that will last for a few more days at least. Find a diversion, hydrate, and try not to stress.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember that on Day 4 (I can't count how many I've had, but there were quite a few) I was always still experiencing super heightened anxiety, anyway, which caused me to freak out about things that I wouldn't normally. The entire world was burning for a solid week/week and a half until the panic started to subside, and I could start to see things more clearly.

I would try to stay as calm as possible, and revisit this issue with fresher eyes in a few days. Hang in there, you can do this!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with staying off of dr. google. You can look up a sneeze and it will say you are dying of terminal cancer :-p
The first week or so is rough. I would keep a journal and write down how you are feeling so in the future if you feel the AV kicking in, you know exactly what will happen (and possibly even worse) if you give in.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sobernunn,

Great job getting through day four, I also remember still being quite anxious around that time, and for the first few weeks.

It may be helpful to have a complete physical just to check in on how your overall health is, and if there is anything going on you can make a plan to address what it is with your doctor.

Google can definitely cause one to think they have any number of ailments!

Keep checking in and let us know how you are doing. I found getting outdoors and going for a walk helped with my anxiety.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job at getting to where you are at!
I agree with all of what everyone has said above-
stay away from Dr Google, and seeing a Dr for a good check up is not a bad idea to help ease some anxiety.

Really, at the beginning of every time I sobered up, I diagnosed myself with liver failure, kidney failure, cancer, MS, brain tumors, Karsokoff-wernicke's, heart attack, seizures, multiple organ failure, just generally impending death.
I think that's a fairly normal feeling for us when we first get sober, and there is no harm in easing some of your fears by seeing a doctor.

I think when we sober up the toxins and insanity of letting go of trying to control or maintain our drinking gets unleashed with a fury on our brains and bodies... it's part of the healing process. Often times, it hurts a lot worse before it gets better.
But, it gets better.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
How are you Nunn?
Hanging in there thanks Phoenix. Day 5 now. I've got a doctors appointment today.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know how you get on SN

D
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So I went to my doc. My hands arnt red, my eyes Are not yellow and my liver dosnt feel enlarged. When I told her how much I drink on a binge her eyes just about popped out her head (wasn't my proudest moment). I'm getting blood tests today and going back to see doc tomorrow for results. She put the tests through as urgent so I won't have to wait a whole week for results
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SN- you are brave and have shown courage. You worked through a real fear. Proactive. Virtual hug time. PJ
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
SN- you are brave and have shown courage. You worked through a real fear. Proactive. Virtual hug time. PJ
Thanks PJ. Don't feel very brave right now. Am crapping myself about results tomorrow. I should have waited longer than 5 sober days to get bloods done so they arnt as bad!!! Time to face the music
Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that none of your fears came to pass....I'm hoping for the same on the bloods.

Waiting longer wouldn't have changed the outcome if there's a problem anyway.

If there's not (and thats the likelihood) then you'll have peace of mind and you can be thankful you stopped before things got really bad

I'm glad you got that done today

D
Old 03-14-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

D,
Thank you for always responding with something kind and thoughtful. I've been having panic attacks all day. The bloods are in now so I have to face the results whatever they may be....