Notices

"This too Shall Pass"

Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"This too Shall Pass"

This morning I woke up feeling groggy. Losing an hour of sleep due to daylight savings sucks (it doesn't help with ongoing sleep deprivation!). It's colder than hell here and I doubt I will be able to go for my power walk again today... Yesterday I stepped on the scales and instead of hitting my weight loss goal of 2 lbs for the week, I gained 5! UGH! Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit negative. Perhaps the lack of sleep is putting me in this frame of mind. Or maybe it's my AV? Who knows? I can hear my mother's voice saying to me "This too shall pass!" My mother was sober 20something years before her passing in 2007.

Nevertheless, I know I have a lot to be thankful for this morning: I'm still sober, hubby and I are spending quality time together and we're not fighting like we were. We begin seeing a therapist at the end of this month and I finally have hope again.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life certainly brings about its daily frustrations, especially in early sobriety. While that continues on (forever, I presume), my reaction to them seems to level out as I stay sober. At 7.5 weeks sober, things just aren't 'getting' to me quite as much.

We know what you're going through. Good job staying sober.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I suffered from both lack of sleep and lack of energy early on CreativeThinker and so have lots of people on SR so you are by no means alone. That power walk sounds like a good idea so unless the weather is really atrocious I would try and do it if you can. It will help you sleep too.

I hope the therapist can help too.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have the right attitude CT - I hope your week gets better

D
Old 03-12-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope is good
Old 03-12-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sounds so trite and is so true
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. Today was a low key day again and I'm feeling a lot better tonight. Tomorrow is another day and while my spirits dropped a bit the last few days, I'm 18 days sober and grateful for finding this site and receiving the much needed support.

Come hell or high water, this girlie is going to get back on track tomorrow and begin pounding the pavement again.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You go girlie!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"This too shall pass!"...I love that expression and use it regularly in challenging situation and circumstances.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life can definitely throw us curve balls, but your mom's advice is very true. I have been keeping a gratitude journal, and I am thinking if changing it up, and just writing down random things that I am grateful for that pop up throughout each day.

-You've got 18 days sober
-Getting along with your SO
- An extra hour of daylight to get that power walk in tomorrow
-This website

Hang in there!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The quote in your signature needs to be in on my tombstone! Today was the day my unconscious became conscious..... prior to, I thought my ex and I being together was "fate". WOW!
It wasn't fate at all! It was 2 drug addicts suffering from the effects of childhood abuse.
Thank YOU! You all mean so much more than you know with the smallest things. You signature alone just gave me so much clarity and changed my thinking about things. I had never tied the two together!

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
"This too shall pass!"...I love that expression and use it regularly in challenging situation and circumstances.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Creative Thinker hang in there. With each day comes a new start, and another opportunity to start it differently. Continue enjoying everything life has to offer. Don't focus on the scale for another month. Let happiness be the driving force for your healthy changes. Measure your progress with how you FEEL, not what you SEE. Journal daily and when you feel like checking the scale, flip back a few pages and see how far you've come. True beauty is on the inside FIRST.

I got to my goal weight recently by way of depression. I still feel super unattractive despite being told I'm not. Make sure you take care of your soul along the way. I support you.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. Guess what? IT PASSED

Last night I had a good nights sleep (first in a long time). Even though I went to bed late due to the time change, I woke up feeling refreshed and full of vigor. DH and I went for a power walk together and it felt SO good! Worked in the office, went out to stock up on food, as we're getting nailed with a major blizzard tomorrow (expected to get 12-18 inches of snow), then had a nice dinner with DH and watched some TV by the fire. All in all, a great day.

I'm not sure if I can stay off the scales for a month. I am someone who needs data updates in order to see progress ..but I understand it's important to fully experience and rejoice in the positive changes that are happening. Having said that, I'm prepared to have set backs with my weight loss goals. Sobriety comes first and if it means that the scales might not go in the right direction, it is what it is. It's a new week and I'll go at it again.

DH and I both have been dealing with dull headaches this evening. I'm assuming it's just part of our bodies adjusting to the changes we're making.

Again, thank you all of your encouragement. I'm really thankful to have found SR!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're doing better! That phrase is one of my most favourites and gets me through many trying times. It does sound like you had a really nice day.

Try to be patient with the weight loss, and in the mean time hydrate lots! Many of us have struggled with intense sugar and carb cravings after quitting drinking as our bodies adjust to losing out on those empty calories and carbs from the booze.
There is evidence that weighing yourself more often may encourage people to stay accountable to themselves and help them lose weight in the long run. But I would stick to what makes YOU feel best, encouraged and positive. If it's bringing you down, maybe take it out once a week or whatever you deem appropriate.
But really, take it easy on yourself You're doing great, and you deserve some self-kindness.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Glad to hear you're doing better! That phrase is one of my most favourites and gets me through many trying times. It does sound like you had a really nice day.

Try to be patient with the weight loss, and in the mean time hydrate lots! Many of us have struggled with intense sugar and carb cravings after quitting drinking as our bodies adjust to losing out on those empty calories and carbs from the booze.
There is evidence that weighing yourself more often may encourage people to stay accountable to themselves and help them lose weight in the long run. But I would stick to what makes YOU feel best, encouraged and positive. If it's bringing you down, maybe take it out once a week or whatever you deem appropriate.
But really, take it easy on yourself You're doing great, and you deserve some self-kindness.
Thanks Delizadee! Well... patience is not one of my strong points! Although, I must say that in the short time that I have been sober (this time), I am trying my best to relax, take a deep breath, find the calm within me and allow myself to accept... Quite honestly, when I initially see any sort of negative result, it DOES brings me down. But then I feel more motivated than ever to create a positive result. Progress truly makes me feel happy. Perhaps some may call me a control freak. Growing up in an alcoholic family can certainly make one that way.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic CreativeThinker, great to hear your feeling much better!!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hate daylight savings time! I am going to be tired and missing that hour for the next six months!