Notices

How much did you drink?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much did you drink?

I'm curious as to other peoples alcohol consumption. I used to drink a six pack of full strength beer a day from age 25-31. I'm 35 and more recently i've been having 3 or so dry days a week but then when I drink I will tend to drink more than before. So say 8 beers or a couple bottles of wine. I very rarely touch spirits because i know it could be a slipper path...

It can't be good for me so i'm aiming for sobriety.
How much did you guys drink?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,
If you look back here, you'll find fellow SR friends replies to your question. Good to have you here though, have you checked out the 24 Hour Forum? It's a place where you can make the commitment to stay sober for just 24 at a time.
😀 Bobbi
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand these threads but you'll invariably find you're worse than some and not as bad as others, Sober.

The real point is you came here cos you have a problem - and you can't stop drinking.

Have you any ideas on what you might add to whatever you've been doing for your recovery so far?

D
Old 03-12-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh wow, not the response I was expecting.

I'm going to include exercise in to may daily routine so hopefully I can get 'hooked' on that. Exercise can be very rewarding.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good thread on the topic here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...k-average.html

Guess I should of searched first. Close it up please Dee if you like.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

No need sober. I hope I wasn't dismissive in my answer above.

Like I said newcomers are often curious about where they sit in the curve.

I think once we move out of the drinkers curve all together it becomes way less important?

as for exercise yeah that can be a great part of a plan but I don;t think it's a plan entirely. What if you injure yourself, for example?

For me, a recovery plan is less about stuff to fill your day or week and more about what you'll do when you get the craving to drink, or have the opportunity to.

There are some really good ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Life would have been better for me had i given up when i knew i should have , i practaiced denial and wasted 10 years knowing i should give up but didnt , those 10 years were a slow crash and burn , underachievement and missed oportunities.

Give up , stay given up , go and do something more interesting with your life than staying stuck drinking thinking i need to give this up someday .. i'll never get those 10 year back , you got a chance to not waste them .

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

I can Remember getting Really Drunk and throwing up on a 6 pack of beer back when i was in High School.
I Remember being in my 30's years later and being able to drink a case (24 beers) and still Not being "There" (still not in my Happy place)
Whiskey Helped a Lot... until it almost killed me.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

How much did I drink? Too much, yet never enough.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a high tolerance for a substance is ALWAYS indicative of Addiction...
Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In the end of my drinking days, I was drinking about 350 to 500 ml of hard stuff every 9 to 14 days. My last day I drank about 700 ml of Jamison Wisky over a 6 hour period.

A few months before that I was drinking every day about 300 ml...maybe less or more. It depended on variables.

300ml is about, 6 beers or so.

When I quit, my hangovers or withdrawals/detox were lasting a week or so.

My body and brain couldn't take the poison much longer. I figure 40 plus years of boozing will do that to most folks.

I quit once for 8 months when a was 27, it was easy so I started drinking again. Big mistake.

I am done w boozing for ever. It is a toxin. Hence...intoxicated.... inhibited mental and physical control....what is the point? Euporic stupor....slurred speech.

The point is...addiction. the addiction to drugs...booze in our case...makes us blind to the consequences...until they become significant or horrible.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Aiming for sobriety is all well and god, except aiming for it is really just planning to drink again.
Quit . And you'll be there. The only thing trying to convince you that being a nondrinker, sober is something 'out there' to reach for or destination you can only reach in the 'future' , is the addiction trying to fool you into keeping it alive.
Quit right now , this second, decide you will never drink again and never change your mind, you can , rootin for ya.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter, because by the end it was too much - I drank enough that I was so good at doing it I became absolutely terrible at it.

I focus on what not drinking does for me- everything is better sober, whether I had a drop or a thousand drops in me.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I always drank too much but never seemed enough.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking for 30 years. First 15 around 4 a day. Past 15, 8-10 a day. Mixture of whiskey and beer. "Quit" millions of times.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

I stopped millions of times, it was when I added the 'not change my mind ' component that I finally Quit.
Haydentree why have you changed your mind in the past?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
2/2016

I drank about a six pack a night, sometimes only 4. Only beer. I wish I was 35 and on this site. Don't waste anymore time on alcohol. It is a dead end.

I am very successful, never lost a job, DWI etc, but alcohol was killing me slowly over time.

If I could go back in time, I would tell me what I am telling you. Just stop it altogether, your life and your pocket will be richer for it.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I stopped millions of times, it was when I added the 'not change my mind ' component that I finally Quit.
Haydentree why have you changed your mind in the past?
I think because I get some time and start feeling "normal" and then I slip back into a heavy cycle of drinking. And, there is a lot of the same thing others have posted up here about being bored etc. I know, only boring people can be bored... It's been a really strange up and down cycle for me. Or on and off. More on than off...
Old 03-12-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I drank about a six pack a night, sometimes only 4. Only beer. I wish I was 35 and on this site. Don't waste anymore time on alcohol. It is a dead end.

I am very successful, never lost a job, DWI etc, but alcohol was killing me slowly over time.

If I could go back in time, I would tell me what I am telling you. Just stop it altogether, your life and your pocket will be richer for it.
Tell me about it. I calculated roughly 150 - 200k in drinking. What a waste of time, money, life and health. And I'm right with you. Been very successful and living in NYC (most of my life) kept me from the drinking and driving thing. I'm in the burbs now but never drink and drive. Close to a train as well so that helps. Regardless, it's a total waste and completely destructive on so many levels.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post

Amen brother