Notices

How To Spring Clean Like A Pro

Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

How To Spring Clean Like A Pro

Good Afternoon Friends Newbies & Guests

Every year since I got sober I do a good spring clean it has really helped my sobriety seeing small improvements getting done along the way

Things like,

Clearing a room ?

Small DIY projects ?

Donating stuff to charity ?

Gardening ?

After nearly 4 years all these small improvements have accumulated and I can only tell you how good it feels when I stop & think about it all

For instance today I was sanding & plastering and after that I done a bit of carpeting

I have a to do list of small jobs that need to be done and it helps keep me on track

Remember don't let it stress you out do it in bitesize pieces even if it's one draw, cupboard etc it will all help and you never know you might sell some unwanted stuff on eBay or a yard sale and a make a profit

(One Person's Junk Is Another Person's Treasure)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sweetie, I know what you mean.
My problem is just getting started on a project.
But once you see progress it's wonderful!!
Thanks for motivating me!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for the reminder Soberwolf, Saoutchik Towers is in need of some attention. As you say, nothing major, just a bit of smartening up. I have made a start by taking a blind down and cleaning it.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I have been meaning to spring clean for years now. My favorite philosopher Confusion says and I quote, "Why do today what you can put indefinitely?"
Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Favorite philosopher Confusion"--L-O-L!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
"Favorite philosopher Confusion"--L-O-L!

Yes,
Old 03-11-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Moving is a great way to Spring Clean!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"If you haven't worn it in two years, you probably never will" applies to 95% of what we have in our closets and drawers!!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

yep its 74 here today and out doing some gardening

transferred the african milk bush from its root bound pot

now lets see how big she gets

i bought it on ebay maybe 4 years ago shipped dry root

Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

Absolutely, though it's autumn here. Ever since the hoarding topic here the curse seems to have lifted or I've become obsessed with throwing stuff out. Have to watch that all or nothing. Bitesize, one bite at a time. All's good.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in deep need of a big external and internal spring cleaning.
You're right Wolfie. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the only way to eat the elephant is one bite at a time.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
yep its 74 here today and out doing some gardening

transferred the african milk bush from its root bound pot

now lets see how big she gets

i bought it on ebay maybe 4 years ago shipped dry root

Very nice, January. Hope it does well!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

- Everyone

Here's some other little tips to help

That season is upon us. Clocks going forward, jumper goes on, jumper goes off and the daily struggle as to whether it’s socially acceptable to wear sunglasses yet or not. March not only symbolizes the upcoming Easter Bank Holiday, but also a sign that things are going to get warmer.

‘Spring Cleaning ‘ is an age old practice that no one really knows for sure the origins of. Some people say Iran, some people say Egypt

So yeah, there you go, Spring. We are all going to run around like headless chickens having a sort out. Here’s a few of my tips to keep you ‘Spring Clean Sane’

Don’t Overwhelm Yourself.

early-spring-cleaning

Spring cleaning can be a tad stressful, so there’s not point in thinking you’ll get the whole house done in four hours. Rather than risk a Spring cleaning meltdown, try and do one room or area at a time. Even things as small as doing one cupboard each day is better than doing nothing ? Set aside a couple of hours every here and there where you can, and try not to have plans for a few hours after, as once you start sorting through your old junk like your photo’s of when platform trainers and jellies were in and your Tamagotchi you are going to be longer than you think.

Be ruthless in your spring cleaning

Let’s take a moment here to think about holidays. On holiday, you enjoy 7 to 14 days of sheer bliss, and guess what? You actually manage to live yes YOU actually manage to live without that inflatable microphone from that great night out 3 years ago and those flip flops that cut your toes but you might wear one day and that shower cap someone bought you as a joke. Yes, you can actually survive without these in your life. Who knew? If you are going to Spring clean, you NEED to be ruthless, as this is why you are doing it in the first place. As humans, we attach sentimental value to all kinds of stuff that brings no benefit to our life. A cluttered house leads to a cluttered mind. If you REALLY feel like you can’t chuck it, put it in the shed or loft so you still know it’s there.

Be Realistic.

As well as being ruthless, you need to find balance and be realistic. If something is broken or you literally never use it then of course bin it, but don’t just aimlessly bin things then **** yourself when you can’t find them. It’s no good binning your entire room then wondering why you can’t brush your hair. A great way to achieve this is count how many times you have used the thing in the last week, month, then six months. If you haven’t used it in the last 6 months, you can probably live without it.

Get some help in.

host-a-sober-swap-party

No one will give you an honest opinion of what fits and looks nice and what makes you look like one of those sausages wrapped in bacon like your mates. Get the girls/boys round and have a fun sober night while you are Spring cleaning, you’ll have some back up deciding what’s junk and what you need to keep, and what you should take on Cash in the Attic.

Make Some Money.

Honest to god, some people will buy anything... I once did a boot sale and these women were literally fighting to get my old tacky plates from when I was about 2 that had all flowers on them. Everyone has different tastes and sizes, so you could easily make a bit of cash for your unwanted items.

Boot sales are a great shout, but you have to get up early. If your online put all of your stuff on Ebay It is true that sellers fee’s and postage have got a bit pricey in recent years, but if you sign up and can wait to off load your junk, you can look out for deals Ebay do where they don’t charge any sellers fee’s on certain days.

Remember to give a clear, honest description of your items and back it up with loads of pictures. You can also sell ‘bundles’ if you want to save on postage.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great advice, sw!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is an additional 33 tips of some great spring cleaning life hacks

33 Really Helpful SPRING CLEANING Tips & Tricks
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I get really overwhelmed when there are a million things to do and I don't know where to start. If I think about the whole situation, I want to die!

So I sit on the couch and make a list. I pick one tiny bite of the elephant at random, then another, and then another. I keep the list fairly small: 5-10 items per day.

Then with those items I do triage: highest priority first. If I can't face the highest priority task, I start off with something I find easy and enjoyable to give me a shot of momentum.

I find, too, that things move along much quicker than I anticipated when I actually start. I often dread that some chore will take an hour, but when I actually corral myself into starting it only takes 15 minutes.