Notices

I need help

Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Looking to change my life for the better and quit drinking before I lose EVERYTHING. No friends or family to support me.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Use here as much as your can and go to a support group. You need someone to talk to so if there's really no friends you can tell, you've got to go to some kind of support group and/or get a sponsor.

Good luck and take each minute as it comes
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I've been harboring this demon in me for a few years, no one knows accept my now ex (which is why he's gone). I know talking to someone and getting this ALLLL out of me is needed and the first step to getting to help. I've tried quitting and cutting back all to no avail. After a few day binder that I almost indirectly lost my job too, I'm now racked with guilt and the withdrawals are unbearable. The impending doom that my job may now know of my struggle and that I will lose it, is killing me. The shakes, sweats and chills, and anxiety are sitting in the pit of my chest like a 7 ton elephant.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome ChangelsComing6, you are not alone.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, ChangeIsComing!

Just quitting never worked for me. I needed to put some work into staying quit without being miserable. That's why some sort of a plan is suggested.

There's a lot of information and support here about that.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Change, glad you found SR. Like mad bird said you need to make a plan. SR. Hanged my life. There is so much to read and learn here. Great people supporting each other, and most importantly you are not alone my friend. We are all here to help. I jumped on here and started posting when ever things got tough.

It's hard for me to explain exactly but so many of those bad feelings will go away with some sober time. Everything just has a way of turning around. How can we help?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Change. Is there possibly an Employee Assistance Program where you work? I would be cautious and research it before making appointment with them but if they have such a program, there are job protections involved if you take advantage of it to seek help with addiction. Maybe this whole suggestion is out of the question, but wanted to mention.

In any case, stay away from that next "first drink" - please do whatever it takes to avoid it. Dump all the booze at your disposal where you are.

I hope you use this site extensively...the understanding, honesty, and support here is just amazing. Read all over, and post often...I sure have.

Is AA or NA in your town a possibility? Is there private counseling for addiction a possibility, so you could unload to a professional initially? There is often a sliding scale for paying, if insurance or finances are tight.

Anyway, you are among friends here. Stay with us.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
There is so much to read and learn here. Great people supporting each other, and most importantly you are not alone my friend. We are all here to help. I jumped on here and started posting when ever things got tough.

How can we help?
Best place I have found!
Changels, I have been harbouring it too! Isn't it great to get it out in the open!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChangeIsComing6 View Post
Thanks. I've been harboring this demon in me for a few years, no one knows accept my now ex (which is why he's gone). I know talking to someone and getting this ALLLL out of me is needed and the first step to getting to help. I've tried quitting and cutting back all to no avail. After a few day binder that I almost indirectly lost my job too, I'm now racked with guilt and the withdrawals are unbearable. The impending doom that my job may now know of my struggle and that I will lose it, is killing me. The shakes, sweats and chills, and anxiety are sitting in the pit of my chest like a 7 ton elephant.
You will find plenty of support here on this forum. What you describe above will all go away if you can quit drinking. Many of us have been through it and it is pure hell. But after a few months of sobriety it will be gone. The withdrawals and doom (along with other things) were enough to make me quit. I'm so glad I did. You will be too.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you've landed at a great place for virtual support.

get yourself an in-person community as well.... AA is pretty much everywhere and a great place to start.

get a Big Book.

get to it.

You can do it.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I understand the feelings of great anxiety and fear that you are experiencing now. It's good to know that you can get through this. You can survive and thrive. And, you won't have to go through it again.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ChangeIsComing6
Welcome to the site. Hang around here as much as you can. There is a lot of wisdom and support on this site.
Have you looked into AA?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ChangeIsComing; you have found a very supportive, understanding and encouraging place.

Take a look around the site; giving special to the 'stickies' at the top of the Newcomers and Newcomers Daily support Forums; they are packed with so much wisdom and useful information.

You may want to consider joining an SR 'Class' where you can interact with members at the same stage of their recovery. I'll post a link in a moment.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As promised above:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html
Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is a link to another SR thread you may want to look into:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-219-a.html
Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by ChangeIsComing6 View Post
I've tried quitting and cutting back all to no avail.

I'm now racked with guilt and the withdrawals are unbearable.
This isn't something that's happening to you outside your ability to control it. You're only powerless when you drink.

The only way out is through.

Are you getting the help you need in an online forum or do you need to take extra measures and get to the ER or a detox facility? You've got to get through withdrawal before you can start to pick up the pieces and " change my life for the better."

What do your instincts tell you to do?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

You'll find tons of support and ideas here ChangeIsComing6 . Read around post as much as you want, check out how others are getting sober and find a way that you think might make sense to you