Notices

Escaping reality Weekender 10 - 12th March

Old 03-09-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Nons!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sao, for a great opener. Lots to chew on there. I particularly found your observation that addiction is akin to "overseer of our own slavery" insightful. How true.

Hope this gets all off to a solid, sober start. Julia, thinking of you.

Take care, all.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning, I am in for the weekend.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No escaping reality for me this weekend, I'm stuck with the new sober reality and it's not that terrible these days. Just normal like most people! Lots of household chores I have put off during my busy work week. I dunno who these weekend warriors are that have the time to good off all weekend.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We drank or drugged ourselves into that fleeting Nirvana so often that we became overseers of our own slavery.
Mmm. This is a great turn of phrase.

Too many words? Not possible. Great opening post. I agree with Gilmer though, there has never been a better time to be alive. If I stay away from TV news, talk shows, editorials, life is pretty darn good. I don't know why things have become so adversarial, but it is easy to ignore most of it.

Good to see Weasel.

I've just spent an uncomfortable hour on the phone and I'm now trying to remember to breathe.

Here's (it's long, but the first 10 minutes is pretty indicative of the rest, so just watch a couple minutes and you'll get the gist of it) eagle baby learning and yearning to soar on Tuesday. Lots of flapping around! Strengthen those wings. They grow up so fast.
Fly away, little one. Any day now.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great opener and dare I say sobering thoughts for this ever changing world. I have given up social media for Lent (except SR of course) and found my mood to be much improved !
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Thank you for the opening, Sao.

Reality - that is something that hurts me now. I am wrestling with bouts of depression and can't feel anything inside that can I use as a drive to press forward. I just want to stay in bed all day long. It takes a lot just to take care of simple things, let alone to decide what bathtub to buy for a new apartment, how to spread my thin budget to take care of all the things that should be taken care of, and so on and so far.

The job has been taking its toll for certain. Formalities about new job take more thane expected, so not sure when I can change jobs.

The good thing is that I am on 10 days vacations now and can catch my breath and take a break from work.

Missed you all)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I'm IN!

There is no escaping reality for me this weekend, though. I am surrounded by mounds of tax files. I feel like Morgan in Season 3 of Walking Dead.

"I MUST CLEAR!"
LoL
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

All I do is waste time escaping reality.. at best, I merely disappoint others, at worst, allow someone to die when I could have prevented it.. That's what I see when I look back on my adult life.. My good days are the days where the only pain I cause is to myself.. All I do is waste this life, day after day..
Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I understand this. I chalk it up to depression for myself. I am also living on the thought that the more sober days that go by the better I will feel. It is an on going fight that I alone are in. I read a lot here. I read a lot of addiction books. We are in it together with an individual approach to lashing out at this horrible addiction disease.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One thing I have learned is that the number of days sober you have... doesn't actually mean anything. Except for letting another alcoholic know they have one up on you.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
One thing I have learned is that the number of days sober you have... doesn't actually mean anything.
Sober day tallies mean different things to different people. I'm less interested in the quantity of my sober days and more interested in their quality.

I'm glad at least one person got my Walking Dead humor.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've had a very difficult day at work.
I happened to mention to my mom on the phone that I am tired and I'm looking forward to my break in Dublin.
There was a silence before she said "who is going with you? I'll go with you".
Very quickly I told her "no you won't".
The answer I got was "I don't like the thought of you wandering around Dublin on your own".
I know some parts of Dublin are dangerous but I don’t go to those places. You would never guess that I am coming up to 40 years old would you?

I know I shouldn't say this because one thing I have learned is that most people love their mothers. The unfortunate thing is that we do not all come from happy Hallmark families.

Anyway I really really wish she would bog off and let me live my own life.

And I'm sorry if that sounds awful. But it's true.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Without context, that doesn't sound like a bad thing.. She's worried about you.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah but with context it doesn't feel sweet. Tetra, remind yourself you've already won the war. These occasional skirmishes sound more about your moms anxiety and her habit of controlling.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sober day tallies mean different things to different people. I'm less interested in the quantity of my sober days and more interested in their quality.

I'm glad at least one person got my Walking Dead humor.
I'm pretty attached to my count right now. For me it feels the only objective yardstick, and there is sense of accomplishment as the days stack up. Not saying quality isn't more important...but it takes a little quantity to be in a position to think of quality.

I've sure never felt anyone was looking down on my sober count compared to their own.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My stomach hurts so bad..
Old 03-09-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm IN!

There is no escaping reality for me this weekend, though. I am surrounded by mounds of tax files. I feel like Morgan in Season 3 of Walking Dead.

"I MUST CLEAR!"
Great to see you on the thread Nons. I don't envy your task but it sounds like your new business is getting lots of clients which is awesome. Way to go.

Last edited by saoutchik; 03-09-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Presentation
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

^^^^why, BC? Sorry if I missed a post. What's wrong with your stomach?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I wish I had more sympathy for mothers who do a **** poor job of it and then demand respect.