Notices

Had a frightening experience

Old 03-07-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Had a frightening experience

Hi All. I've been what I would call a moderate to heavy drinker since about the age of 21, I've now just turned 35. My poison of choice is beer, because I like the taste more than spirits, and also because on the rare occasion I do drink spirits I end up on a bender because I can't regulate myself.

I would usually drink between 4-10 beers a night on a work night, maybe 3-4 nights a week, and on a weekend I'll usually drink until I fall asleep, so 12-16 beers depending how early I start drinking.

I just recently started a course of Duromine to try and kick start some weight loss and STUPIDLY started drinking which has resulted in me going on a 2 day bender which even I don't think I've ever done that before. I have no idea how much I drank, suffice to say my wife cut me off when I started getting crazy on day 2. I did sleep a couple of hours in between but the Duromine got me awake and drinking again very early the next morning. When i was cut off I was pacing around the house searching for more alcohol in some sort of panic. I actually remember doing this as well as some other flashbacks of seriously dumb ****.

I've stopped taking the duromine and also haven't touched a drop since then as I've had some pretty bad side effects which have quite honestly scared the crap out of me.

I've been in a constant state of anxiousness and had a pretty serious panic attack on the morning of the hangover. Since then I've been constantly anxious, and in a pretty mild sweat. My heart feels like it has been racing at times. Reading up on all the effects and self diagnosing on google hasn't been helping my anxiousness, but I needed to know as I've never experienced alcohol withdrawals anything like this before. I usually just get a bit hungover and feel seedy the next day.

Anyway, I finally went to the doc's on day 2 to explain what had been going on and my blood pressure was quite high, in stage 2 hypertension. He's got me going back in today (day 3) to do a full round of blood tests to rule out diabetes and probably more importantly to see how much damage I've done.

I haven't been for a general checkup in years because I'm afraid of what they might find. I'm hoping it's not too serious, as I do feel much better today after finally getting some sleep (though pouring my heary out on here has me on edge). Speaking of which I also seemend to experience jolts as I was drifting in and out of sleep last night.

Either way I know quitting is long overdue and I'm more determined now, than ever as quite frankly this experience has scared me more than anything else in my life has. I think it's pretty clear if I continue my current lifestyle then these sort of episodes will only become more frequent, and then I'll lose everything.

Alcohol has caused enough trouble in my life and relationships already and I really want to get sober... I've recently (before this bender) started cutting down by having more alcohol free days during the week and trying not to drink at all during the week.

Cutting alcohol out of my life at home is one thing, what worries me is social occasions. Alcohol is nearly always present. And more so if it's a work related occasion I'm afraid that turning down a drink will just lead people to believe or even confirm their belief that I have a drinking problem. It's something I'm extremely conscious of and causes me a great deal of anxiety.

Anyway I'll have to leave it at that as I need to go and get my blood test done. Looking forward to spending some time on the forums and hopefully offering some support of my own one day....

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome! Glad you found us. SR is a great support source. I hope everything works out blood work wise. Please come back and let us know how it went. You are surrounded by people here who understand.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome needssomehelp

D
Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you found SR needsomehelp. I think your making a bunch of good decisions. Sobriety is a far better way. You can do it
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome...I'm 38 yr old male, been drinking beer heavy since I was 17. My blood work just came back fine. But having horrible anxiety as well. I'm on day 10 of not drinking.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by needsomehelp182 View Post
...I'm afraid that turning down a drink will just lead people to believe or even confirm their belief that I have a drinking problem. It's something I'm extremely conscious of and causes me a great deal of anxiety.
You do have a drinking problem. When you drink. Stop drinking and hopefully the problem stops. Turning down a drink confirms nothing except the decision you've made to stop.

Avoid social situations where there is any alcohol if you are so anxious about not drinking. You need to build a solid foundation of recovery, one where you are secure and confident about your sobriety.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-07-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi needsomehelp. I was also a beer guy, seven or eight each night like clockwork, many more on the weekends. It was when I started to feel the effects physically that I came to the beginning of the end.

Anxiety and social scenarios will resolve with time. You're off to a great start!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I had to fast for 12 hours for the bloods, I got faint and broke out into a sweat once the nurse had taken the 3rd vial. I am a little bit concerned though as I did have a doctor mention something about my liver quite a number of years ago and I didn't take the hint.

I've decided to front up to work tomorrow, I've missed 2 days already and it was a long weekend just passed. I think they are getting tired of me calling in sick. I haven't done it for a few months though.

Nobody has said anything specifically about my drinking in the past, I'm not sure if that's just out of politeness or nobody really knows. My boss has expressed some concern once before in the past though.

I have a bit of a gash on my head, which doesn't look terrible (but definately not good either). I'm planning on using the duromine as my excuse because I did tell them last week I started on it. And I definately think the duromine has amplified the effects of whatever is going on.

So hopefully tomorrow I can get back in to the swing of things and keep my mind busy on something else other than sitting around at home feeling anxious, because I'm focusing on my anxiety and how bad I think I've screwed up.

When I think about it logically I can see that the situation is salvageable as long as I don't screw up...
Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Seems to me like you have two options.

1. I'm afraid that turning down a drink will just lead people to believe or even confirm their belief that I have a drinking problem. - Therefore keep drinking and confirm to everyone that you are an alcoholic.

2. Stop drinking, and let people wonder if you had a drinking problem.

I would go with option #2. Generally, nobody cares much about your drinking (except probably your wife). People are are more self centered then you think. And with the passage of time, nobody will remember much about your drinking.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome needs some help, I'm new here too and recognising my drinking problem. Wishing you all the best and hope your results come back in a good way and this has helped motovate you for change.