Notices

Feeling rough but my head is clear

Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling rough but my head is clear

I know why I relapsed. I am prone to anxiety. I've been stressed about graduating and getting a job in these next few months. I have spoken to people about it, but not enough. My feelings were trapped inside me and I became overwhelmed. I need a plan for when this happens, to get my feelings out first.

I've been thinking a lot lately about religion lately. I want to pursue it. I felt awkward. But I think it is important.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was away from church most of my adult life. During that time I was addicted to several drugs and my drinking progressed to alcoholism.

My recovery happened around the same time as my return to church (though changing denominations). Faith and recovery.

Coincidence?

I think not.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan to me, CrackleLog.

Knowing what triggers you is half the battle. The next step is making a plan to support your recovery. The more tools we have in our toolbox the better the outcome.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many of us can relate to using alcohol as a "pressure release valve". Meaning we build up stress and emotion and then get hammered to make it go away for a little while. And of course we know it doesn't go away, now your dealing with it hungover. I'm sure someone will come along with some solid advice on how to deal with those emotions without turning to booze. SOunds like you do have a bit of a game plan getting formulated. that's a great start.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I we can get through periods of stress without drinking the feeling of relief is wonderful and we get a bit less anxious the next time something stressful comes along.

I hope you can speak to people about how you feel.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Crackie,

I have anxiety too. Booze helped it for a while I guess.

I was sort of lucky....

When I decided to quit, my anxiety went to a level that was crippling....

Now, 22 months sober, the world is opening up like never before. I am strong and free. I am no longer physically addicted. Mentally I crave and have minor anxiety at times.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have suffered from panic and anxiety for most of my life. Will be sending you calming energy. This too shall pass.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Crackle,

As others have said knowing your triggers is half the battle so well done on identifying it.

I think a lot of us here suffer from anxiety to varying degrees. When I stopped drinking I realized the alcohol was making it worse. 89 days sober today and my anxiety has reduced considerably.

I haven't done it on my own SR has helped me so much and I also go to AA. AA have a great spiritual program, non-denominational. Have you considered AA?

There are many ways for you to begin a spiritual path, it has been an integral part of my sobriety.. Perhaps it could help you too?

Wishing you luck and sending you prayers.