Notices

Need help

Old 03-05-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

I want to stop drinking, but in the morning the shakes are unbeareable and my mental state is so panicky, I feel anxiety and shame. Any natural remedies?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rescue remedy. Try deep breathing exercises. St. John's Wort. Apparently lavender is calming.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hospital? I never reached that point (shakes) - that sounds like you need to be under medically supervised detox.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go for a power walk. Start out walking briskly for at least 20 minutes and work your way up from there. Trust me, I know you probably don't feel like exerting yourself right now but getting out into the fresh air and getting the blood flowing again will help. Good luck and hang in!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi needhelp - unfortunately, if you've been drinking hard for a while, withdrawal is pretty much unavoidable.

I'd try and eat something and keep hydrated - but the best healer is abstinence and time.

I'd really recommend you see a Dr if you're concerned or it's debilitating - they may be able to help.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Changing

take b complex vitamins. water. bananas. i was water vitamins and juice the first few days. and finally came around. i'm on day 29
now ( i think ) and physically i feel great and mentally is getting better and better. i know there is a chance of seizure so if you are really bad go detox they will give you meds to ease the symptoms. fresh air does help too. tiff
Old 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard but if you're going to share what worked for you, please stick to personal experience only and away from recommendations and other medical advice.

thanks

Dee
SR
Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by Needhelp0223 View Post
I want to stop drinking, but in the morning the shakes are unbeareable and my mental state is so panicky, I feel anxiety and shame. Any natural remedies?
Stopping drinking is natural. That said - there are no natural remedies - that ever worked for me - to help with withdrawal, and that's what shaking in the morning is.

You might research alcohol withdrawal and see where you are with all of it. Only you can decide if you need to go in for medical supervision to detox. You'd be given medication to help with the shakes and panic.

Best.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Changing

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Rescue remedy. Try deep breathing exercises. St. John's Wort. Apparently lavender is calming.
what is rescue remedy out of curiosity
Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Dee said, withdrawal is likely going to be unpleasant. Eat well, drink lots of water, rest when you can. If you are concerned with shakes or other symptoms, don't hesitate to go to an ER or to call your dr.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I myself took a lot of vitamin b and c. Niacin really seemed to help. Valerian root at night was a godsend. Your doctor can really help.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Needhelp!!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I want to stop drinking, but in the morning the shakes are unbeareable

I understand, I've had that problem. It's because you are physically addicted.

Unfortunately, I discovered that drinking a couple of beers made the shakes go away. Don't do that. It's a really bad idea and usually ended up with me drinking around the clock for 3 days.

The best cure is to see a Doctor, of even go to the ER. Tell them you are trying to detox from alcohol. They will take your vital signs, and in my case they gave me a prescription for valium with took away the shakes and anxiety. Usually, all I needed was enough valium for 2 or 3 days (you don't want to over do that and end up with another problem).
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

Always water and nutritious food. At that state whole rice and apple sauce is good for the guts. Tins of tuna, anything you can afford that stays down. That wont fix the shakes but is just good sense.

When you get to that stage, which I have, you have to go to the doc or ER and arrange for an assisted withdrawal. My doc heard me and put me on a rapid detox so I wouldn't get addicted to benzos. From memory that was however much valium I felt I needed on day one, about twelve I think., five spaced out over day 2, two on day three and that's it, no more, I'd ridden throught the worst of it ok. That and rest and food and water got me to where I could attend rehab.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep- doctor.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is important to talk with a doctor, Needhelp. Withdrawals can be deadly. I had hallucinations and physical problems when I stopped drinking. I went to county detox but after two days I had seizures and spent a week in hospital recovering before going to inpatient rehab for two months. I now have been sober for 15 months. Quitting drink is difficult but the rewards are great. I wish you all the best.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Natural remedies are really not very appropriate in advanced circumstances. They work on an already balanced body, and are good supportive solutions as part of a balanced regimen.

I think if you have shaking issues, you should go to a dr. From what I understand that can go south quickly.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Play it safe, ask for doctors assistance.
M-Bob