Notices

Heck yeah!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heck yeah!

Well here is how fast you can change your life when you really decide to do it, first day the hill was open this year I was so hung over I could barley ride but I promised my 8 year old I would go, last time I had a drink, fast forward to today and it was my first day on duty with the ski patrol after 12 weeks sober, I've lost 30 lbs and feel way better, if you told me a few years ago that I'd join the ski patrol at 38 years old I would have thought I had a better chance at winning the lottery, I was out of shape and too "old" for stuff like that, I gave up on snow boarding 13 years ago when I broke my ankle one drunken night, this little 8 year old in this picture has given me back my life, everything I do is because of him, he always pushes me to do my best, instead of the other way around, he is my best friend and I'm so thankful for him, it was a pretty awesome day, just one broken collar bone.

So much good stuff has happened since I quit I can't imagine going back to drinking, I have lots of reminders why not to do it, but I'm still scared of what's going to happen once the ski season is over, for now I'm just enjoying today and trying not to worry about tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great to hear congrats and great pic!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great Job! it must feel wonderful!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Damn sport that's awesome. Good for you my friend. Start getting your plan together now for handling " post ski season". I know you will be ready. Congrats pal!
Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I LOVE this!!!! Sportdeck, this is exactly what I've been saying!!!!! I had similar results: complete life change in just months. In the past year I (1) got married (to a non-drinker!!!!), (2) installed a new lawn and sprinkler system, (3) designed and built a tongue and groove redwood wall in my living room, (4) went to Mexico for h'moon, (5) went to Disneyland, (6) trained for and rode a 205 mile bicycle ride in July , and (7) had my work contract expanded by 30 percent with corresponding pay raise.
Stopping all drinking completely changed my life for the better.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I LOVE this!!!! Sportdeck, this is exactly what I've been saying!!!!! I had similar results: complete life change in just months. In the past year I (1) got married (to a non-drinker!!!!), (2) installed a new lawn and sprinkler system, (3) designed and built a tongue and groove redwood wall in my living room, (4) went to Mexico for h'moon, (5) went to Disneyland, (6) trained for and rode a 205 mile bicycle ride in July , and (7) had my work contract expanded by 30 percent with corresponding pay raise.
Stopping all drinking completely changed my life for the better.
Wow that's awesome man! Good for you!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well for you sportdeck

As for after ski season, it can't hurt to start to think about that now.

I think a good recovery plan needs to be more than just things to do and keeping busy?

D
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad things are going well for you sportdeck

As for after ski season, it can't hurt to start to think about that now.

I think a good recovery plan needs to be more than just things to do and keeping busy?

D
Yes I think it would be wise to get a plan together, but I'm not really sure what, and snowboarding isn't really about something to do, it's something I love to do that I thought I couldn't do anymore, I'm also planning on getting back into slalom sking this summer, something else I loved to do but haven't done in years, I really am not having a hard time at all so far, I just know from reading on here that it could come easy tho, I think my desire to live a healthy productive life will help keep me on track, I want to be a good father more than anything, and drinking is not part of that plan.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, exactly. I bet the 8-year-old is not wondering what he'll do without booze after ski season. And I bet he plans never to let you go now that he has your full companionship.

If injury or unexpected health problem sidelines you for a time from the sports you love, though...being sober and being your son's father still have a lot of content, right?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go sportdeck. I'm glad you are reaping the rewards of sobriety.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love this post! ❤
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I'm really glad I found this place, it's the only place I can really express what I'm going through, most people don't really think I had much of a problem to begin with, as I was a high functioning person that only drank on weekends, my family has a great life and I was still a great father to our kids, I'm just a better father now, lots have said well big deal you didn't drink during the week anyway, when I do have a tough moment I come here and read, and I'm putting these threads here to remind me of why I stopped in the first place.

It's already started with people saying well can't you just have one or two and stop like everyone else, even my wife said go ahead and have one on Friday night at a friends birthday day party, NO because don't you remember I don't stop till 20 or 30, nobody seems to get it, I guess if you've never gone through it it's hard to understand, she maybe has one drink every 3 months and has always been like that, I'm not even willing to risk trying to moderate it because I know what would happen, I never seen the point of having one or two, that's just a waste of beer if your not gonna finish the job.

Thanks again everyone that reads my posts, I feel really comfortable talking to you all about it because I know you get it.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Week 12 is fantastic Sportdeck!!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 12 weeks Sportdeck and on joining the ski patrol
Old 03-07-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This thread is definitely a Black Diamond run.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That's awesome! The good news is, it just keeps getting better and better
Old 03-07-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober style

Tremendous, great picture too!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice post, thanks!