Notices

I'll sober up... next week.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll sober up... next week.

I know a guy who recently announced he was going to treatment. Wanted to get himself out of the cycle of alcoholic addiction. People immediately supported him. Encouraged him. Gave him love and affirmation that it was a great move.

A few days later he announced he was gonna postpone treatment until Monday. Having a "blowout party" this weekend.

How many people have said this... how many times?

I'll sober up!! But next week. I'm getting sober.... just as soon as I have one last blowout. I'm going to treatment..... but first, I'm having a last hurrah.....

how many have said this before.... how many actually got sober on Monday. Turned up at rehab next week?

I hope this guy finds his way.

And if YOU are reading this and feel like getting sober "tomorrow" or "next week" or "right after one more party".....

I hope you'll change your mind. Because the only time we get sober is TODAY.

Happy Sober Friday everyone.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree freeowl,
I spent 14 years drinking everyday. I was always going to quit "next week". Didn't work for me.

Thanks for the post😊
Old 03-03-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could sell a second car and black out for a month or 2. I don't think It would help me get any closer to letting go.

If I ever fall asleep I'll have one day.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it aqaufina
Old 03-03-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Famous last words. They very nearly were- for me. I hope he finds his way and stays safe.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Go for it Aquafina - day one would be a great thing to get

D
Old 03-03-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
I could sell a second car and black out for a month or 2. I don't think It would help me get any closer to letting go.

If I ever fall asleep I'll have one day.
I remember wishing so badly that I could just "be asleep" or "be somewhere" for a time and then "come to" with some sober clarity. An easy way to skip ahead to a time where I could actually have a different life.

Didn't happen - I actually had to quit drinking and go from day one.

Better clarity and a better life than I wished for then followed and keep coming.

Taking that leap is terrifying.

You can do it.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I spent three years giving up tomorrow but tomorrow never came. I think in the end it was the fact that I couldn't carry on any longer that made me stop.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. At the end of my drinking I was drinking all day long and I remember thinking, every day, "tomorrow, tomorrow I will get a handle on this and get my life together." On the last day a woman from AA called me and said she was worried I was going to die and that she was coming by in an hour to bring me to the hospital. I don't know why, but I said ok, I'll go. She told me not to drink anymore. what did I do? I drank everything I had. I was so wasted that she and her sister had to maneuver me down my steps and into the car. She had to sit in the back with me and hold my upright. They pulled into the ER and had to call for a worker to bring a wheelchair. I was so very sick. I owe my life to that woman. Thank God for the people who have gone before us. I pray this man gets the help he needs as well.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going today for professional treatment and to make a better plan. I need help to quit.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RainbowBird View Post
I'm going today for professional treatment and to make a better plan. I need help to quit.
Rainbow, that is what I did. It is the best gift you can give yourself! 21 months later, I have a life I never could have dreamed of!!! You can do this, I believe in you.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Read my 2/8/16 thread. I was going to "moderate" for one last birthday hoorah. Needless to say this birthday 190+ days sober wad much better!

Folks here tried to tell me. I didnt listen.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Rainbow, that is what I did. It is the best gift you can give yourself! 21 months later, I have a life I never could have dreamed of!!! You can do this, I believe in you.
Thank you!!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
A few days later he announced he was gonna postpone treatment until Monday. Having a "blowout party" this weekend.
That's the insanity. Wow.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My opinion is he doesn't want to quit.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One final "Hurrah".

A bit silly (and dangerous) IMHO.

Hope the final "Hurrah" doesn't end up as a very final one in a box.

I don't think he wants to stop.

B.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

I wasn't planning on having a last hurrah but on the Friday I stopped drinking I was meant to go to a social event and I doubted I could go and not drink, I felt obligated to go, so initially I was going to wait until the Saturday to start. Who knows where I would be now if I had followed that plan! I didn't go to that event...I went to AA instead.

It was members of this forum that convinced me to not wait that day, FreeOwl, you were one of those members and I am grateful everyday that I actually listened to all of you and did not delay.

It is good to be sober and I hope your friend can find it too.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know for me i try to live in the present and when i decided to quit it was "NOW". A woman in the rooms told a story a few months ago about a man who decided to do just that and have a blowout party before he went to treatment. They found his body in his apartment a few days later. He never made it to treatment. How sad.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did the reverse "one day at a time" for years. "I will drink just one more day and then quit tomorrow." This stagnant behavior accumulated into years and years of misery and despair.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post! It's interesting to examine the thought process at work. For many years before I finally quit I vowed that someday I would "give up drinking". It was only in maybe the second year of sobriety that it really sunk in down to my core that looking at it that was wrong; I no more gave up drinking than you'd give up cancer. If you told people you gave up cancer they'd look at you like you had two heads. "Give up" implies a sacrifice but for me quitting drinking was the opposite, it was laying down a burden that had become to heavy to bear.