Notices

9 Ways We Treat Alcohol Differently From Other Drugs

Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

9 Ways We Treat Alcohol Differently From Other Drugs

f you struggle to say no to a glass of wine – but you’d never dream of touching ‘proper’ drugs – make sure you read this post.

9 Ways We Treat Alcohol Differently From Other Drugs - The Sober School
Old 03-03-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"In fact, most of us have been led to believe that alcohol is an essential part of a happy and fulfilled life."

That's a 100% true for me and still something part of me struggles with. Even as a young kid I was already playing "drinking" and couldn't wait until I'm allowed to drink alcohol. Now I'm struggling with feelings of resentment cause part of me thinks I'm missing out on something essential.

So true what they say about alcoholism being seen as a personal weakness.
I tried other drugs every now and then but made sure to not let it become a habit cause I knew they'd make me addictive. But I never thought of alcohol as something addictive. Where I live it's so normal for people to drink during daytime and to do that daily. It's really not seen as a drug.

#3:
This just makes me so sad. I think it's extremely unfair and makes it harder for people to get and stay sober. In the beginning it was especially hard for me to admit (to myself and others) that I'm an alcoholic, I didn't wanna be that weak person, a failure. Ironically I thought I could escape from that label by continuing to drink. Yes it just makes me very sad that our society sees it that way.

I feel like I'm a much better version of myself now that I don't drink. So if you want to put it that way, alcoholic me is the better me. Cause when I was still drinking no one ever labelled me that way.

On a side note: when I meet my BF I was still drinking and didn't know about my addiction but he told me right away he's a recovering alcoholic and somehow it just made me feel extremely proud of him for being so strong.

#6:
Something that really bothers me. Here we always have the small bottles of vodka and other liquor right at the till with the chewing gums and chocolate bars so you see them the whole time while queueing. And you're pretty much exposed to booze wherever you go. Every restaurant, every kiosk, even bakeries sell it.

#7:
Even my doctor told me to have 2 glasses of wine every night to help me relax. That was when my drinking already was problematic but I tried to cut down. I'm not blaming him cause he didn't know about my drinking and I know it was entirely my decision how much I drank but hearing that from a doctor made my AV very very happy and just that sentence was used many time to justify my daily drinking. I mean if my doctor says it, I better do it eh?

#9:
Absolutely! Never thought much about them before but since getting sober they really stand out to me as really strange and I feel slight second hand embarrassment for the people liking/sharing them. What's cool or funny about that?

That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing soberwolf!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3: People are labelled when they stop drinking.

While I agree with the others, I find this one to be most interesting and applicable to me right now. Being sober for a while I've been in a few social situations where I would normally drink. If I tell someone I quit it's not just a "hey that's great or maybe I should too". It's why or a look of disappointment.

I find it strange that when someone quits drinking which is an an unhealthy habit at the very least, people question why. If I quit smoking you wouldn't ask why would you?
Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
3: People are labelled when they stop drinking.

While I agree with the others, I find this one to be most interesting and applicable to me right now. Being sober for a while I've been in a few social situations where I would normally drink. If I tell someone I quit it's not just a "hey that's great or maybe I should too". It's why or a look of disappointment.

I find it strange that when someone quits drinking which is an an unhealthy habit at the very least, people question why. If I quit smoking you wouldn't ask why would you?
Totally agree with this. This is the drinking culture prevalent in society. I find it irritating.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, Soberwolf.
It REALLY helped me.
I realize that I grew up in family ( European ) culture in which wine was considered a part of the meal. The AV uses this to try to persuade me to have "just one glass. " You know---because it is "normal", and being sober is "not normal", according to that culture. It really hit me as well, after reading this, how promoting/advertising alcohol as "cool" and "sexy" is all a big marketing ploy to make money.
Wow, people are making money on us becoming addicted and poisoning ourselves, and they want us to continue!
It is time for a major cultural overhaul. We are the pioneers.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Thank you Soberwolf. Yes x 9!

An excellent article, on both the normalisation and the dangers of alcohol.

We certainly wouldn't find ourselves in a mainstream situation where we were offered heroin and then questioned when saying no.

This is an article I will definitely add to my knowledge tool kit for sobriety.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, sw. Fantastic article!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

#10. Me not drinking does not reflect negatively or positively on your choice to have a drink. Don't say "oh sorry I forgot, I won't have one either". No need to make excuse about why you need a drink "sorry but I had a crappy week and I need a drink". Me not drinking is my choice, I don't care if you do or do not have a drink. No need for excuses, I am not judging you. You can invite me out for a drink. I can have soda, ice tea, or coffee and be just as happy enjoying the conversation, food, music without alcohol as you are with it. I'm still me. I am just a happier, better version of me than I was when I was drinking.