Notices

Feeling worse than ever

Old 03-04-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SixSeven View Post
Have you tried praying for your feelings of anxiety to be removed? I did and it worked for me. Only rare, brief moments of minimal anxiety ever since. I've suffered from anxiety for SO LONG that this is truly a miracle. Good luck and God bless.
Very uplifting post
Old 03-04-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

/sarcasm
Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Very uplifting post
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Some coping mechanisms

Beabetterme, I am going through the same thing too. I am 4 and a bit months sober, and am really struggling with anxiety. My GP prescribed ativan too. I keep the tablets but try to only use them when things get extreme. Otherwise I utilise a few techniques while I wait for it to pass.

1. Breathing technique 4 x 4 x 4. You pretty much breathe in normally through your nose for 4 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds, then breathe out through the mouth for 4 seconds, continue to repeat- with eyes shut if possible. Affter a bit you remove the 4 seconds of holding breath but continue with the inhalations and exhalations. Focus on the cold feeling of the inhalation on the nostrils, and on the warm feeling on the lips of the exhalation. You can also pinch the skin on the top of your hand. Not hard so it hurts, but just so you are aware of it.

The breathing slows down your body and reduces the physical symptoms as the calm slow breathing shows your body you are not in danger, which stops the blood flooding the right side of the brain. The focusing on the air on the nostrils and mouth, and the pinching of the skin, keeps you in the present. It takes work, and needs to be practiced when you are not suffering anxiety too, in order to get it down to an automatic response. I have found that it helps allot, and like to think the longer I am sober, and the more anxiety attacks I ride out, my confidence will return and the attacks will diminish. Good luck Mate
Old 03-05-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hang in there.