Notices

Worried About Someone Else's Drinking/Using

Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Worried About Someone Else's Drinking/Using

This is for people who are coming to SR out of concern for someone else I hope this helps it's from https://www.drinkaware.co.uk

Advice
Drink Tracker & Tools
Home Advice Worried about someone else's drinking
Worried aboutsomeone else'sdrinking
How to spot the signs, know what to say and what you can do to help.
Spotting the signs
What to say - and what not to say
How to prepare
Concerned about your parent’s drinking?

Signs that someone you care about is drinking too much can be hard to spot if you don't know what to look out for. It's obvious when your friend or family member appears visibly drunk or they drink large amounts of alcohol in short spells. As someone close to them, you may be better placed to recognise their change in behaviour. We asked experts in alcohol dependency to offer their advice.

Spotting the signs

Dr Sheri Jacobson, psychotherapist and councillor at Harley Therapy says the best way to approach someone you're concerned about is with sensitivity and empathy. Think about how you would want to be approached if someone were to tell you that you had a problem with alcohol.
"It can be humiliating to be told they may be drinking too much and their first response might be to be defensive and deny they have a problem," says Dr Jacobson. "They might think 'everyone else is doing it' because the acceptance of our drinking culture is so widespread that a lot of us might be classed as binge drinkers. Show concern rather than disapproval and tell them that you're worried about their well-being."

What to say – and what not to say

Using positive language is key to this empathetic approach. Dr Jacobson suggests using phrases such as:
"I wonder if you drink less your health/well-being may improve."
"I've noticed that you aren't so positive about life since you've been drinking more. This isn't the kind of person I know you to be. I'm not bringing it up to upset you, but because I'm concerned."
"I've noticed you're not doing as much exercise as you used to."
"I thought it was great when you were going to yoga/football/your night class etc."
Meanwhile, it's definitely best to avoid harsh criticism, making judgements and labels such as "alcoholic". To avoid circular conversations (Them: "No, I'm not!" You: "Yes, you are.") It's also best to keep your questions open, "I've noticed X, what do you think?" rather than "don't you think you have a problem?"

How to prepare

On a practical level, choosing your moment is also vital – for both of you. Make sure you're both in the right mood, feeling calm, confident and not too emotional. You also need to be armed with as much information as possible so you can offer the person you care about the right facts and advice on where they can go to for support.
Getting the person you're concerned about to this stage, seeking support from someone independent, will hopefully help them change their behaviour or their relationship with alcohol. That way, they'll hear from other sources, not just you, that maybe they're drinking too much.
You might be surprised to find that the person concerned agrees with you. They might say: "Yes, I think I am drinking too much."
But they may not.
You can help and support them but they need to want to change their behaviour with alcohol themselves. That might mean having the same conversation with them two or three times before they accept that they do have a problem.
We offer a confidential Alcohol Self-Assessment Test which provides an initial assessment of drinking habits and provides clear, next-steps advice.
You can also get more advice about the effect alcohol can have on your relationship.

Are you worried about your parent’s drinking?

If you’re concerned about how much your parents are drinking there is help available. Lots of people find it useful to connect with others who are having a similar experience. Visit Children of Addicted Parents (COAP) for more information and support.