Notices

Valerian Root to Manage Withdrawal Anxiety

Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valerian Root to Manage Withdrawal Anxiety

Has anyone used Valerian Root to try to help with anxiety as a result of alcohol withdrawal? I'm trying an unassisted withdrawal and wondering if it would help - especially at night/in the middle of the night when I wake up with the lump of anxiety in my stomach that tingles down my legs (even when drinking).

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

5-HTP helped me. Along with Valerian at night.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, BabyBlues, and welcome!

I haven't tried Valerian Root, but I did drink gallons of water and energy drinks like Lucozade, etc.
Depending on how much you were drinking, you may wish to check in with your doctor who could help with the withdrawals?
One thing's for certain. It does get better. Remarkably quickly.
Keep us posted on your recovery, and Strength to you.
Best wishes,
Bruce.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Yes. I take it along with Vit. B's
Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BD84 View Post
5-HTP helped me. Along with Valerian at night.
How did you use the 5-HTP? Did you take 1 at the same time as the Valerian at night or did you take it in the morning? From my brief research, it seems that they both have sedative properties...is it safe to take both together? Also, once stopping the 5-HTP following detox, wouldn't your body still have the same issue with low levels of serotonin since you've been supplementing?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Yes. I take it along with Vit. B's
I am also taking Stress B-Complex vitamins.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I find Valerian root helpful for insomnia. I fall asleep faster if I take it. I've never taken it and then tried to stay awake, though.

I also haven't had success with taking it in the middle of the night if I wake up. I may or may not get back to sleep, but I will always feel very groggy in the morning.

And if you didn't know - valerian root smells like dirty feet. Keep you nose out of the bottle!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've tried Valerian Root, Kava Kava, and yes, the basic chomomile tea. They all are effective in their own way. You should try each alone to see what works best for you. Drink plenty of water and also detox herbs, plus multivitamins + B complex vitamins, get plenty of sleep, and eat healthy. This all will go a long way in calming the anxiety. I can't stress enough the need to hydrate yourself way above what you think you need.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Do you like coconut water?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd also suggest following up with your doctor on withdrawing safely first BabyBlues. Over the counter supplements/herbs can be helpful but they can also have unintended benefits. And as mentioned in your other thread, there is no "magic bullet" pill or herb that will cure your anxiety ( if you indeed have it ). A holistic approach is best - which supplments might certainly be a part of.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BabyBlues2 View Post
How did you use the 5-HTP? Did you take 1 at the same time as the Valerian at night or did you take it in the morning? From my brief research, it seems that they both have sedative properties...is it safe to take both together? Also, once stopping the 5-HTP following detox, wouldn't your body still have the same issue with low levels of serotonin since you've been supplementing?
And, please remember that it's against our rules to ask for or to give medical advice.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr or a medical professional about your anxiety issues.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
And, please remember that it's against our rules to ask for or to give medical advice.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr or a medical professional about your anxiety issues.
Ahhh sorry!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've tried it but honestly, it was like trying to put out the Chicago fire with a squirt-gun. Not enough "umphh!' As others have mentioned, rehydrate when able, vitamin B, ibuprofen & naproxen, liquid protein drinks, electrolyte/sport drinks, when able. And just lot's of time. Time does it more than anything. When your body feels better, the anxiety will diminish.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have to just chime in...I was a Kava Kava lady for awhile. BUT keep in mind if you ever have to have emergency surgery...these herbal supplements can screw up what they need to do to knock you out.