Notices

Why do I do this?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

For a long time I thought I was being intentionally self-destructive. I knew drinking would lead to bad things, but I drank anyway. The only explanation was that I MUST BE self-destructive.

Turns out it wasn't the only explanation. Being addicted to alcohol was producing feelings, and those feelings weren't really connected to any of my thoughts. I felt like drinking because that's what being addicted did to me - it made me feel like drinking. I didn't want the trouble it was causing. I was just willing to risk the trouble to placate my maladaptive appetite for alcohol. My actions were self-destructive, but they weren't intended to do be that way.

One of the most interesting discoveries on my journey is that I can have thoughts and feelings that don't actually mean anything about my character or intentions. They just are.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thank you for that insight.

I'm sick and beat up from binging.

I feel stupid, rejected, ashamed, guilty..

I can't focus. I just lay here.

I just keep going around the same mountain.

I'm useless.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Melissa1217 View Post

I'm useless.
How about taking a different path? Like rehab or detox? At some point we have to accept that doing things on our own or "our way" simply won't work. You aren't useless, but you are making things very, very difficult for yourself.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
How about taking a different path? Like rehab or detox? At some point we have to accept that doing things on our own or "our way" simply won't work. You aren't useless, but you are making things very, very difficult for yourself.
I agree with this. It sounds like inpatient rehab would be the perfect place to get things together with your alcoholism and mental health.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm useless.
That's another feeling my addiction would produce. So easy to convince me to drink if I am useless. After all, why wouldn't a useless person drink? Why bother staying sober if you're useless anyways?

As it turns out, I am quite useful.
My guess is you are, too.

The first 48-72 hours after coming off a binge are the worst. Don't believe everything you think.

You CAN do this.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I've been. It won't work. I'll actually just add one more thing to be ashamed of to my list.

Aside from it being a waste of time, I can't afford it.

If someone here thinks a salvation army type rehab would help me, I can assure you I'd just feel shittier and more pathetic.

Assuming I could even get into one in the state of Florida. Haha.

I also have my dogs. I dont need anymore emotional battering. I think I'd rather commit suicide than be put through anymore.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't kill yourself! That's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. And think of your dogs. They need you to care for them.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've been. It won't work. I'll actually just add one more thing to be ashamed of to my list.

Aside from it being a waste of time, I can't afford it.

If someone here thinks a salvation army type rehab would help me, I can assure you I'd just feel shittier and more pathetic.

Assuming I could even get into one in the state of Florida. Haha.

I also have my dogs. I dont need anymore emotional battering. I think I'd rather commit suicide than be put through anymore.
If you do want to quit you'll have to start coming up with a list of things that will work, rather than reasons why they won't. Rehab doesn't always work the first time for everyone, just like AA or AVRT or whatever else you choose. That doesn't mean it won't work the next time.

Do you have the desire to quit? My guess is that somewhere inside you do you do, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Especially after you publicly decided to leave but still came back. What do you think you could do today to help yourself? You can't take care of your dogs when you are blackout drunk either, right?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

People that keep saying rehab scare the **** out of me. Like jump back in a bottle and kill myself before I have to go through that nightmare.

It's very disempowering and causes me to feel helpless. I'm already a trauma survivor with flashbacks.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yes Scott I obviously do.

I was hoping to find some personal insight and empowering suggestions.

Do you work for a rehab? Because it sure feels like you mind ******* me into doing something horribly against my better judgement.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'd actually prefer sticking a loaded gun in my mouth, so please refrain from pressuring me.

I'm not giving that industry another dime.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes Scott I obviously do.

I was hoping to find some personal insight and empowering suggestions.

Do you work for a rehab? Because it sure feels like you mind ******* me into doing something horribly against my better judgement.
I do not work for a rehab or any recovery related business. I actually work in the technology field and volunteer my time here on SR because I gained a lot of support here and hope that I can help return it.

No recovery method will work ( rehab included ) until you are ready to get sober. How about making a list of things you could do today to help yourself? I mean that literally...get a piece of paper and a pencil and write down a list. There is a lot of power in written words.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I already did. I'm HERE , I didn't drink, and I'm trying to take some of the advice given to stay centered.

I hear rehab and I PANIC.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you for that insight.

I'm sick and beat up from binging.

I feel stupid, rejected, ashamed, guilty..

I'm useless.
you may feel stupid, rejected,ashamed,guilty
but feelings aren't always true.

ya know, one way to stop goin around the same mountain?
stop goin around it and go over it.

youre not useless, Melissa. youre sick, but there IS a solution which will require action.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I already did. I'm HERE , I didn't drink, and I'm trying to take some of the advice given to stay centered.

I hear rehab and I PANIC.
why panic at something that could help?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

it's just a word, and a suggestion, melissa.

you are very clear on what you won't do, what bothers you, what upsets you. but you are going to have to move to the mindset of what you ARE going to do. people have offered a LOT of suggestions. you can't just sit there and ruminate.

you've already made self-harm statements multiple times. if you are a danger to yourself, call the Crisis Line immediately. you DO need help. and this online forum is quite limited in what it can do for you.

Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Like most people with anxiety disorders and PTSD, it's very important that I feel in control of my own life.

I suppose I was just looking for assurance that these feelings would pass as I guess I'm withdrawing.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
the way it works is perhaps explained by paraphrasing Goenka.

The heat of the fire is fueled by adding fuel.

To cool the fire stop adding fuel and throw a handful of cold water on it.

There is an eruption of steam and sound.

Throw another handful of water.

More eruptions.

In time there are no more eruptions.

The process of stilling the anger or passion is the same.

The water is the equanimous awareness. The eruptions is the past store of suppressed anger.

Keep bringing the awareness to the breath in the area of the nose. An eruption follows. Keep throwng cold water on the anger. Don't throw anger on the anger... In time the heat is gone.
Good analogy. Good advice. Time + not drinking = peace

Seeking mental health care for underlying problems can help as well. Did for me.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Yes it was and I've been trying to apply it all morning.

I'm not ruminating, I'm now I guess going through some unpleasant withdrawals.

My thinking was coming here kept my mind occupied while withdrawing.

If if it's a waste of my time and the time of others I'll find another forum.

I've reached out to my pastor and trying to breathe and stay centered.

I don't go over to someone with a broken leg and demand he start walking. As far as I know there was only one man in existence who had that power.

My wound is just as incapacitating and crippling atm
Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
All is Change

The benefit comes from keeping on bringing the awareness back to the breath in the area of the nostrils. The anger and other feelings will keep coming up. There will be numerous distractions. Times when you step off and do other things for a while. Over time the habit pattern of the mind changes and more and more the awareness is of the breath in the area of the nostrils while the eruptions continue but more in the background. You are now not the eruptions but the observer of them.