SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sobriety tattoo (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/405417-sobriety-tattoo.html)

slangking 02-26-2017 05:54 AM

Sobriety tattoo

Does anyone have a commemorative tattoo or something similar? I don't have any tattoos but I'm thinking of getting one, it would be a good way to stop me going back to the demon drink as it would be a constant reminder of what I have overcome and to never go back to it. It wouldnt be "on show" and itd be small, I would be doing purely for myself.

I'm nearly a month into sobriety. Going well, just had my first proper nights sleep.

Tonymblue 02-26-2017 06:33 AM

All i have is the last Corona bottle i drank

dwtbd 02-26-2017 06:45 AM

About a year after I made my Big Plan, I wanted to "get some ink" and I wanted it to mean something. I had the word 'sufficit' (enough) turned into an ambigram and had the pattern repeated in a wreath or ring on my upper arm.My Beast hates it . lol .

Mountainmanbob 02-26-2017 07:03 AM

One thing that I wouldn't get would be my sobriety date tattooed on me.
Don't plan on it but, what if I relapsed?
Cross it out and put a new one?
M-Bob

slangking 02-26-2017 07:07 AM

If you put a date then I think that would fuel your sobriety and prevent a relapse, well I hope it would.

I don't know what I would get, a pint glass or something.

Mountainmanbob 02-26-2017 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by slangking (Post 6347507)
If you put a date then I think that would fuel your sobriety and prevent a relapse, well I hope it would.

I think that will will take more than a date tattooed on me to stop me from drinking.

Many threads here regarding sobriety and Programs that help us stay sober.
Are you putting together a solid Program?

M-Bob

slangking 02-26-2017 07:19 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "program".

Like a list of how you are going to remain sober?

soberlicious 02-26-2017 07:24 AM

I have lots of ink (upper back, both sides, small ones on foot, wrist, ankle, and a full sleeve). Except for one on my upper back (that has since been covered) I got all of it in that last 10 years as a non drinker. So even though not all of it is specific "recovery" ink.... to me it all of it is because I have the freedom and money to do it. That's solely because I don't drink.

If you're asking whether ink is a good idea, my answer is always yes lol but that's just me.

soberlicious 02-26-2017 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by slangking

"program" is usually a reference to a 12 step program like AA or NA.

Mountainmanbob 02-26-2017 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by slangking (Post 6347538)

Like a list of how you are going to remain sober?

A list with stern follow through has proven for most to be a good idea.

Mine (just for an example).

Church and bible studies.
AA attendance with a sponsor.
SoberRecovery.com
Exercise -- bicycle and hiking.
Hanging out with mentally and spiritually (healthy) friends.

M-Bob

dwtbd 02-26-2017 07:47 AM

I found it very difficult to remain sober or prevent relapse, until I decided to Quit.
Since I made my Big Plan " I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind" , I don't remain sober, I just am.
My first time on SR I saw mention of AVRT/RR and those ideas really resonated with me. There are great threads on this perspective here on SR in the Secular Connections forum, I always recommend checking them out.

Fusion 02-26-2017 08:13 AM

Yes, likewise, I joined SR and then found Secular Connections, were I learnt about RR/AVRT. The rest, as they say is history. After learning AVRT and making my Big Plan, I'm a non-drinker and joyous and free of addiction to alcohol.

If you met me, you'd never believe that I'd consider a tattoo; but since stopping drinking I've toyed with the idea......it would need to be small though, visible by a magnifying glass (too conservative -lol). In fact, the more I think about it, I'd really quite like one. The exhilaration of liberation from alcohol-hell is going to my head and I like it!

Soberlicious and Dwtbd, you're great role models on the permanent non-drinker front, and if I get a tattoo, I'll tell my husband (who would be horrified) that I simply followed your great examples as not only non- drinkers - but tattooed people:thanks.

Non-drinker= Pro-inker.

Algorithm 02-26-2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by slangking (Post 6347373)
I don't have any tattoos but I'm thinking of getting one, it would be a good way to stop me going back to the demon drink as it would be a constant reminder of what I have overcome and to never go back to it.

Why, are you planning to go back to the demon drink, slangking?

I don't think it would stop you per se, since you could always just disregard it and drink anyway, but you could always tattoo "Never Drink" somewhere. Perhaps your hands would be good, so you would see it when you reached to grab a beer?

I got a sobriety chip once, and I kept it on my keychain with the car keys, clearly visible at all times while driving, but that never stopped me from driving to go buy more alcohol. It was a good learning experience.

Perhaps you could do a trial run with a sobriety chip?

Originally Posted by slangking (Post 6347538)

It's an invention of AA, but these days, there are non 12-Step programs. The idea is that a program will mitigate the desire to swallow alcohol, or at least dissuade you from doing so.

Fusion 02-26-2017 08:43 AM

Yes, I agree with Algorithm, I missed the OP's full post regarding a tatoo being 'a good way to stop me from going back to the demon drink'. In my opinion, A tatoo, or a memento, or a keepsake, or an amulet, or attending this or that, or doing X, Y or Z, or praying, or not stepping on the cracks in the pavement: will not stop someone from drinking. It's just superstition or dependence on something outside yourself - which isn't concrete, because they can let you down.

But, once you've stopped drinking, you can do what you wish, because you have freedom., and that includes getting a tattoo.

dwtbd 02-26-2017 08:48 AM

well...more like onside yourself :) (but yes sans dependence on, the power always is and will be from within)
(and if I may suggest, perhaps a highly calligraphic, yet discreet "won't power" :) )

Misc72 02-26-2017 08:55 AM

A friend of mine had to serve 26 days in jail for a DUI. So he had roman numerals of the 26 tattooed on his right wrist so everytime he starts the car he is reminded!!

Delilah1 02-26-2017 11:33 AM

When I hit one year I bought myself a necklace that says "I love the person I've become because I fought to become her." It is a great reminder of my recovery journey. Prior to that I bought myself monthly coins, and would swap them out in my wallet on the 1st of each month, I have a year coin in there right now.

DontRemember 02-26-2017 07:57 PM

I'm tatted up(arm sleeves,chest,back,ect..) but, no.. I won't get a tattoo for my sobriety. However, I do think that tattoos are a form of therapy.

crazychef 02-26-2017 10:38 PM

Don't get it. Might as well get an ex name tattooed on you. Never get something printed on your body that you have to explain the meaning of it for the rest of your life. Odds are you will get older and wiser and think what the **** was I thinking!

soberlicious 02-27-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by crazychef
Odds are you will get older and wiser and think what the **** was I thinking!

Nope. Not a chance. Some of us are older and wiser and have loads of beautiful body art to boot!

Originally Posted by Tatsy
that I simply followed your great examples as not only non- drinkers - but tattooed people

Not only am I a tatted up non-drinker, but I'm also "tattooed and employed" (a favorite saying in the tattoo community since everyone says you will never find a job if you have ink.) I am an elementary school teacher and I have been dedicated to my career for 28 years.

Go for it Tatsy...then I can call you "Tatted Tatsy". :)