Notices

Sobriety tattoo

Old 02-27-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If I would have tattooed each one of my sobriety dates on my body I would be covered in crossed out dates 😊
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am thinking about getting a tattoo. I don't currently have any, but I have been batting around the idea of getting a small one that is the Chinese symbol for strength wrapped in a cherry blossom vine. A way of reminding myself to be strong, no matter the circumstances.
Plus, saving up for a tat means not spending money on drugs or alcohol. It's a great incentive for me personally.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ditto to what Mattq2 said. I actually know a couple of addicts who have gotten clean/sober dates inked - either in Latin numerals or whatever, and have then gone and relapsed... they had to develop a sense of humor around the ink pretty fast.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have thought and may consider it to get a small X on the inside of my wrist just where I'd see it if I ever had a bottle of wine in my hand.

X was the Magic Marker you'd get on your hand in Punk Shows to say you were under age and then became the unofficial symbol for 'straight edge - No Drink No Drugs'.

I wouldn't ever get a date or a name or anything that may potentially affect future realtionships or possibilities
Old 02-28-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am planning a tattoo for myself... I'd like to get "This too shall pass" tattooed on my forearm.

It has much meaning in my life, and though it doesn't have everything to do with my sobriety, those words are a huge part of my sobriety.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I began getting many of my pretty
tattoos when I was 20 yrs sober. Most
are flowers, birds, butterflies and a few
with my sobriety birthday, AA symbol
and words.

All my tattoos are tasteful, colorful,
and personal to me.

Because my husband and I both
have a love for our Harley Road King,
I got a tattoo of a motorcycle wheel
with wings with the AA symbol in the
center wheel with spokes on the top
of my right back shoulder. It also has
my sobriety date in numbers and the
words Unity Service Recovery around
it. All done small and discretely.

All my tattoos ive gotten so far doesn't
keep me sober. Its living the AA program
of recovery taught to me 26 yrs ago that
I use as a guideline and incorporate in my
everyday life.

Faith in my Higher Power for strength,
guidance and protection and helping
others still struggling with addiction by
passing on my own ESH - experiences,
strengths and hopes of what my life was
and is like before, during and after my
addiction to alcohol.

Enjoy getting your tattoos with taste and
respect.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunitfin View Post
I have thought and may consider it to get a small X on the inside of my wrist just where I'd see it if I ever had a bottle of wine in my hand.

X was the Magic Marker you'd get on your hand in Punk Shows to say you were under age and then became the unofficial symbol for 'straight edge - No Drink No Drugs'.

I wouldn't ever get a date or a name or anything that may potentially affect future realtionships or possibilities
Awesome!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have a tattoo I got before I got sober that means a lot to me - it's about my kids. I look at it when I have doubts about myself - it helps keep me focused on reasons for staying sober when I waver. I've been thinking seriously about getting another one - something that represents the journey for self-improvement I am on - not necessarily a literal sobriety tattoo. A lotus, perhaps. I won't do a date, because then I'd have to explain it all the time. And somehow, I superstitiously feel like that's asking for trouble. Not sure why - just a feeling I have.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi slangking,

I have two sobriety driven tattoos. They are not celebrations of recovery themselves, but more reflections of how I want my mind to work going forward.

Do they make a difference to my recovery? Probably not on a daily basis, but every now and then they remind me of the journey I ve been through and help me see if I am moving on the right direction.

I have drank after doing both (though first one was aimed at drugs and I did quit that), but now I think I reached a completely different stage, it s the longest I ve ever been sober and it really feels like it s here to stay this time, so hopefully soon I ll be getting a full back tattoo to close this!

Just beware, once you get some ink you will have found yourself a new addiction!

P
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've gotten two tattoos since I stopped drinking. Both are personal to me, and indicate taking a stand, not succumbing to negativity. Very much sobriety tattoos for me, but also relative to other things.

Like M-bob, I would not get a date or something tattooed. Not my style, but, also, this isn't about August 11, 2016 for me. It's about gratitude, vida, accountability, positivity, God as I understand it, etc.

-B
Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Personally, I would go with a really nice piece of jewelry. Diamonds, maybe.
But that's me. Other than having my ears pierced, I have never done anything permanent, like a tat.
But....I'm a granny, with really pale skin. I don't think a tat would look good on me.
Diamonds, however, do.
Congrats on your sobriety. Want to get a tat, get a tat. Not your sobriety date, though. How about a spirit animal? My son has two hammerhead sharks on his calf in a kind of a yin and yang position. It's cool.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Diamonds, however, do.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I got one on my 2 year sober anniversary, my wife and kids took me to get it. It was symbolic to me. It does have the date in Roman numerals under it. I am as proud of it as i am with myself for what i have accomplished.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of getting one if im sober ten years down the road

Also thinking of getting the Lion Of Judah on my shoulder!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Chilled, WHEN not IF! don't open the door unless you want to walk through it...

This op was a while ago, I'd love to see what came of it!

Personally, I have nothing against tattoos. I seem to be about the only person I know without any, so I'm the rebel.

For me, a tattoo would be a cool way to remind me of something, evoke a memory, maybe inspire me somehow. But there's not enough ink in the world to keep me sober. Only my recovery and healing can do that, and recovery is ongoing and evolving.

Best of luck with all!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I love tattoos, I have plenty already (and two more coming in October ) and I'm always excited to get new ink. I think it's a great idea to get something symbolic that would help you get through the day. That said, a tattoo itself won't keep you sober obviously.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
sober style

I always say it's better to ink than to drink!

But seriously, I predate the current tattoo craze and would never have permanent things drawn on me.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I'm thinking of getting one if im sober ten years down the road
Somebody with 12 years sober just drank the other day. Bet they are glad to not have a phony date on their are.

M-Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Somebody with 12 years sober just drank the other day. Bet they are glad to not have a phony date on their are.

M-Bob
Ahhhh Mountainmanbob your always straight to the point LOL

Hope your keeping well
Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

A tatt is there for ever. While I do not doubt your sobriety....think over it carefully. Do you want a tatt there in 20 years? Do you feel ok to explain it's significance? I have my SR name initialed on the back of a fancy watch (with bits)- THAT is my tatt. Whatever you decide- do it with thought, not just enthusiasm.