Notices

I relapsed and I'm so ashamed.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No defense against the first drink. It happens so easily. I had four months, sober but miserable. My friend offered me a puff, ... yeah thanks, felt better, felt a drink would be nice, and that led to a one year relapse that almost finished me off. Gotta ask myself, where were all the thoughts of why I shouldn't drink? What happened to my memory. Why didn't it occur to me to "play the tape through". The sane thoughts that should have saved me were strangely absent. They did not come to mind. Instead I thought I would just have a good time.

I never admired those folks that could have one or two by the way. I thought there was something wrong with them.

Don't be ashamed my friend. If you are like me you attempted the impossible. This is just a stepping stone on the path to recovery. It may take one or two more stepping stones until you find what works. Keep trying, be open minded.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Catlover! We have been missing you and concerned in the Feb. class. So glad you made it back!
I've also learned the hard way that smoking weed takes me right to a drink. I don't have a weed problem at all when I'm drinking, but my mind tells me that if I'm not drinking, a little hit or two will take the edge off and help me stay sober. It's a lie!
So glad you're still with us and sober today. We can do this!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Catlover. I can totally relate to your story. I'm on Day 7 today. I have quit for stretches at a time and relapsed many times. I am totally committed to quitting alcohol this time. I agree with everyone that smoking weed can lead to drinking. We are addictive people and have to be careful for replacing one addiction for another. Get back up and embrace recovery. You can do this.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovering

Lots of us have done the same CatLover. I threw away nearly 4 years of sobriety. It took me the best part of a year to get back on the wagon again. I was ashamed to come back here as well, but I knew deep down that I needn't be - they don't shoot their wounded here.

Stick around
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a "chronic relapser" before I finally got it. I even sat in meetings drunk and talked my arse off about nonsense and denied I was drinking. They still loved me. The people in AA were so welcoming and gave me so much grace. They were always glad to welcome me back. The thing is...you never use up your quota in AA...or on here. So welcome back! I am glad to see you and I believe in you.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm glad you came right back and posted. I have 14 months of sobriety, but I struggled on and off for three years prior to that trying to stay stopped. I found that reading and posting on SR daily was a very big part of my recovery.

You can do this!!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Catlover, it took a lot of courage to come here and admit your slip. Others have given wonderful advice. I wish you best in your journey to sobriety.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know how you feel - I have had some false starts too, and also have taken the view to learn from my mistakes and keep moving forward. Best wishes!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
The work thing was a whole separate hang-up I had to address. The key thing was the stress fed my drinking.

I unwound some of the workaholic issues by fundamentally reassessing my attitude to work. I stopped tying my ego to my work, started really thinking about what I liked about it, started focussing on it as a service I provide to others, became more involved in the mentoring and community aspects, and began regarding myself as a steward in my organisation.

It was a paradigm shift in my attitude.
This is helpful advice. Thx.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Good to see you back here. What do you plan to do next time you get frustrated.
Absolutely stay away from weed from starters and anything else that may trigger relapsing. Also, not to let the moment overwhelm me - I should think about tomorrow, not tonight.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
No defense against the first drink. It happens so easily. I had four months, sober but miserable. My friend offered me a puff, ... yeah thanks, felt better, felt a drink would be nice, and that led to a one year relapse that almost finished me off. Gotta ask myself, where were all the thoughts of why I shouldn't drink? What happened to my memory. Why didn't it occur to me to "play the tape through". The sane thoughts that should have saved me were strangely absent. They did not come to mind. Instead I thought I would just have a good time.

I never admired those folks that could have one or two by the way. I thought there was something wrong with them.

Don't be ashamed my friend. If you are like me you attempted the impossible. This is just a stepping stone on the path to recovery. It may take one or two more stepping stones until you find what works. Keep trying, be open minded.
I can completely understand when you write "I thought I would just have a good time." That's exactly how I felt on Thursday night.

I have tremendous admiration for those who only drink a glass or two. The ironic thing is that a mere 2 years ago, I used to be one of those people.

Thanks for your kind words. Appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sometimes my mind tells me that I can smoke a little weed and yet not drink. Threads such as this help to keep me on sober target.

M-Bob
Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
Hi Catlover. I can totally relate to your story. I'm on Day 7 today. I have quit for stretches at a time and relapsed many times. I am totally committed to quitting alcohol this time. I agree with everyone that smoking weed can lead to drinking. We are addictive people and have to be careful for replacing one addiction for another. Get back up and embrace recovery. You can do this.
You are absolutely right about the dangers of replacing one addiction with another. A man I know replaced alcoholism with gambling.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Hey Catlover! We have been missing you and concerned in the Feb. class. So glad you made it back!
I've also learned the hard way that smoking weed takes me right to a drink. I don't have a weed problem at all when I'm drinking, but my mind tells me that if I'm not drinking, a little hit or two will take the edge off and help me stay sober. It's a lie!
So glad you're still with us and sober today. We can do this!
Weed can be very "sneaky" in that sense. You are right - thinking weed will help with booze sobriety, is false. I guess everyone is built differently and there may be others who find weed helpful with their sobriety, but I definitely am one of those who is vulnerable to relapsing when I smoke pot.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
Weed can be very "sneaky" in that sense.... I definitely am one of those who is vulnerable to relapsing when I smoke pot.
I'm not really following the logic here, catlover.

You are suggesting that there is a difference between alcohol and other hedonic drugs, such as marijuana. There is no such difference, since alcohol is a mood altering, hedonic drug, just like any other.

Weed is not sneaky, but your own Addictive Voice certainly is. It is telling you that there is some kind of difference between your preferred 'drug of choice' (alcohol) and your 'drug of non-choice' (choice #2 on down).

Once you are under the influence of one drug, and your better judgement is disabled, it will be relatively easy to live out the AV, and to keep the party going. You will need to abstain from all recreational, mood-altering drugs.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Don't ever be ashamed to come back. Ever.

Early sobriety is hard. The good news is when you get over the hump it gets easier and easier. Hang in there!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey man that's ok. You made it back that's all that matters. Just dust yourself off and get back at it. By the way i can relate to your story about a year ago i thought i would be "OK" trying weed but as soon as i put that THC candy in my mouth and felt that high i did the same thing you did. I headed right for the liquor store and was off to the races on a week bender. Live and learn i guess.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

All okay, CL?
Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

H Catlover,

How are you doing tonight?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
H Catlover,

How are you doing tonight?
Hey, Delilah - I'm good thanks. Not feeling too well physically but I'm ok. Thanks for asking.

Phoenix - I'm doing okay thanks. Feel a little under the weather but I'm good.

Algorithm - I wasn't suggesting the effects of weed and other drugs are different to alcohol. I know that the latter has pretty much the same effect. 'Course with weed there are differences depending on the strain - some strains make me want to sleep, others give me endless energy. What I mean when I wrote "sneaky," was that because I'm not too big on pot, I thought smoking a joint wouldn't compromise my way of thought. I was wrong. I've tried ecstasy once and although the effect wasn't quite the same as booze or weed, the end result was pretty much the same - a distorted perception. And like you said, mind-altering drugs are something I need to stay away from.

Comtnaman - Thank you. Appreciate your support.