Notices

Trying

Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying

Hi people
Kinda new to all this, been to aa a couple of times in the past but not sure about the group sharing. Been a quiet guy all my life and public speaking aint really my thing.
What i do know is, i am powerless over alcohol . As im sure you people reading this know the feeling of it being a best friend and worst enemy at the same time.

At the moment it's one day on, one day off.
Cant seem to deal with the stress and anxiety on the day "off", so keep going back to the only thing that I know will calm that down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Geoff.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome geoff! Completely agree with the friend enemy relationship. Come join us over in the Class of February 2017 suport thread and say hi. Great support and advice here.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, where would I find that?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I see that you've found it Geoff but for others, the link is:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-15.html

I came to the decision that quitting drinkign would suck and I'd be feeling really rough for a little while but that it was worth it if it got me off the merry go round. It was rough - but it was worth it, and it did change my life forever.

If things are too rough, do consider seeing a Dr - we need a little expert help sometimes

D
Old 02-26-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxuiw3iMBE
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its bad but a good rhythm. I need a slamming 30 days.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You do not have to speak at AA meetings. I am pretty reserved myself and rarely talk at the meeting, but I do speak to individuals before and after and have found a fantastic sponser. It does work.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aa doesn't require you to say anything, but it's also not the only game in town. There are self help programs like rational recovery, also addiction therapists, lots of books and other reading material, and this forum itself.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you found us. SR is great for the "quiet man"
Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Geo,

1 off then on is better than more often for sure.

I worked my way up to a few times a month, binge drinking though.

Basically got out of drinking practice. The hang overs seemed to last over a week towards the end doing that.

When I quit for good, the anxiety ramped up and lasted for months. Off and on.

I had moments of serenity each day, but when I was active I would often be under internal duress. Some folks that were closest to me sometimes would ask if I was ok, but most had no clue I was freaking out.

I could have easily relapsed or went w rx meds, but I had to hang in there. If I saw a dr. For my recovery, I would have lost my cool job. We can drink at work, we just can't have a drinking problem. Yay...

So today, nearly 22 months clean, I am way better. So you understand what might be in front of you, I was freaking out so bad at 3 months, I thought I was going insane. The obsessing didn't ease up for well over a year.

That is why so many relapse over and over. Folks don't understand the nature of this addiction. It is a destroyer for those of us that get in too deep.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Geoff!!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments guys. Think i'll check out another aa meeting and possibly see the doc again.
I started taking antidepressants late last year for something else and at the time didnt tell the doc about, or stop my drinking at the time.

All i can say is, not a fun ride at all. And wont be in a hurry to try that particular medication again.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

drinking probably nullified the effects of the anti-ds.

Could be worth a go trying them sober?
but have a chat with your Doc

D
Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to SR, I'm glad to see you are still here and still posting. This forum started my journey 87 days ago. Those earlier days/weeks can be tough, we here have all been through it and can relate.

I also attend AA and without it I would not have come this far. Sharing is not a requirement of AA membership, imo you do this when and if you are ready.

As a fellow Canberran I can tell you there is a Speakers meeting on tonight in Lyons and you wont be asked to share there as they pre-choose the speakers. It is a great meeting for just sitting and listening and meeting others.

I can't make it tonight but my home group is Kambah, Sun at 1030. Come on by and say hi if you feel like

Having said all that, AA is not the only way and there are many on this forum who are proof of that. You just have to find what works for you.

You can do it!

Scruff