Notices

5 days sober

Old 02-25-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days sober

On Monday night, my husband took me to the emergency room after I had several glasses of wine and started choking on water. I don't remember it all, but when I drink, I think about the next drink and then can't stop until I pass out If he had not been there, I wonder what would have happened if I was choking on water and don't remember it.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi pepper! Congrats on 5 days, that is a great start. Feel free to join us in the Feb of 2017 Class Support thread. A lot of grass support there. And everywhere on SR. Welcome!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

5 days sober is a great start on your sobriety.
Keep it up and stay close to your support group.
This place can be a good one.
M-Bob
Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great start. keep it up!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome and congratulations on five days.
Sometimes it takes something dramatic to happen to us before we realize we have a problem. I know it did for me.
Perhaps let this be your wake up call that you may be drinking too much.
The good news is, you never have to go through something like that again if you don't take that first drink.
Best to you and you'll find a lot of support here, so stick around.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, pepper. You're wise to acknowledge that it isn't safe for you to drink. I was like that too - one always led to being completely fried. I couldn't trust myself once it was in my system - anything could happen. Good to have you here - we can help.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm 5 days sober too!!! Congrats!! Monday night too, I went to the ER because I was sick of drinking, I got sent home with Librium, and am off of it now. It's only gonna get better from here! Hang in there!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice 5 pepper!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats is very scary Pepper - I'm glad you're ok.
5 days is a good start.

Is it your plan to stop drinking altogether now?

welcome to the posting side of things
D
Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're okay!! 5 days is awesome!!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Pepper and SinkingFeeling,

Glad you are both here. Five days is great, you are almost one week sober. You should both join the February of 2017 class, you will be with others who have also started or restarted their recovery journey in February.

Another great thread is the 24 hour thread, you will find a community filled with support, and it's a great place to check in and commit to another 24 hours of recovery.

Looking forward to seeing you both on SR!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful and I know I'm not alone. I am almost over the weekend I feel good. I work 40 hours a week and that's when I find myself thinking about how pathetic I am at times when I'm drinking and then just cry and try to hide everything from co-workers.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I am losing my marriage. We have been growing apart for years, but now my husband has the excuse that I'm an alcoholic because I can't stop drinking after one. I have not had a drink since the emergency, choking on water incident 12 days ago. This is how my family will now think of me and I feel like I have committed a crime just by drinking too much. I am depressed. I was depressed when I drank 12 days ago and had I choked in my sleep I would have been ok with it. I am so depressed. One more drink will destroy my life however it is destroyed anyway because I lost my freedom.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm talking to myself, but I can understand my husband's perspective. I wouldn't want to take care of anyone who drank too much. The only thing is that I have ONLY had about 5 major drinking incidents in our 28 years of marriage. This is the only one where I had to go to the emergency room. The other's only resulted in me going to bed and then apologizing the next morning. It's this last one where he wants a divorce if I take one drink ever again. That's a lot of pressure.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All is Change

Hmm. You are going to have to take care of someone who drank too much. Yourself. You can't get away from that. No matter how much alcoholics would like it to be otherwise. The only way to live soberly is to not drink. That's simple, easy. It's living with life as it is that's daunting but not as difficult as being a drunkard. Living a sober self dependent life is a wonderful thing to learn to do .
Old 03-04-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work Pepper. I am sure that he was very scared waiting for the doctor to tell him you had not suffered any brain damage from the lack of oxygen. YOU CAN DO IT.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's this last one where he wants a divorce if I take one drink ever again. That's a lot of pressure.

My wife said she wanted a divorce back in 2010.

I got sober instead. We've now been married 31 years and our marriage is as strong as it's ever been. I'm sure it helps that I've been sober for 7 years.

You joined this website the same year I did, but right now our stories are a bit different. This website is great, but I suspect it's not enough to keep you sober.

Have you thought about trying the face to face support you can get in AA? Really, what do you have to lose?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I am losing my marriage. We have been growing apart for years, but now my husband has the excuse that I'm an alcoholic because I can't stop drinking after one. I have not had a drink since the emergency, choking on water incident 12 days ago. This is how my family will now think of me and I feel like I have committed a crime just by drinking too much. I am depressed. I was depressed when I drank 12 days ago and had I choked in my sleep I would have been ok with it. I am so depressed. One more drink will destroy my life however it is destroyed anyway because I lost my freedom.
Try not to leap ahead into the future too much Pepper. None of this has actually happened yet right?

It's this last one where he wants a divorce if I take one drink ever again. That's a lot of pressure.
Unfortunately it's a pressure we created by our drinking...but really, after a week or two you'll find staying sober a lot easier

I haven't taken a drink for nearly ten years. If I can do it, it's entirely possible for anyone else

Have you thought about things like AA or some other meeting based group? talked to your doctor of found a counsellor? Inpatient or outpatient rehab?

All those things could help you stay sober.

You should also become a regular poster here. SR helped me a lot. Why not check out our Class of March support thread? All you need to do to join is post in it

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-5.html

D