Notices

Day One... Again.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One... Again.

I'm an alcoholic. I've never said that to anyone. My friends don't know. My family doesn't know. Some of my friends may think I drink a lot, but none of them know the destruction it is causing in my life. None of them know that I spend hundreds of dollars that I can't afford to spend on alcohol. None of them know that I drink between a litre and a litre and a half of wine alone each night. None of them know that I choose alcohol over seeing family and*friends many times. Nobody knows all the lies I've told to cover it all up. Nobody knows that it's affecting my health, mentally and physically. I've missed work so much lately because of my drinking. I've stayed home the day after drinking with a promise to start fresh and make the most of that day, and then 2 hours after waking up I will go to the liquor store and buy a litre and a half of wine and drink all day long. Today is my millionth attempt at quitting drinking. My mind is foggy and my eyes are puffy and I feel like going to buy wine, because I don't feel like I'm going to succeed at getting anything done today and when I'm lazy I feel guilty, but when I'm lazy and drunk I enjoy being lazy. I tried to quit*drinking three weeks ago and I made it to ten days, which was amazing; I haven't gone ten days without a drink since two years ago when I made it to twelve days. I felt very determined this time and I started to feel like not drinking was easy and I wondered why I had thought it was so hard to stop. Then, on the tenth night, a Friday, I felt like drinking. Nothing happened, nothing upset me or particularly set me off, I just really felt like it, so I thought "why not? I'll get back to the sober thing tomorrow" and I have drank excessively every single night since, except one night that I spent with a friend who doesn't drink much. He brought wine and I had two glasses. He doesn't know that if he weren't there I would drink the whole bottle to myself and think that I hadn't even had much. It shocks me how long I have been battling with this now. It's really not who I want to be, yet I keep making the choice to let it.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

I hear ya groundhoggirl! The promises we make ourselves to quit and the shame we feel. It is tough. You are definately in the right place because we have been where you are. Keep reading, keep posting and good luck. Have you thought about something local like AA in your area?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Groundhoggirl !

You've come to the right place for support.

There is a wealth of experience here.

We've all got similar stories. You are not alone.

Strength - you can overcome this demon.

B.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

Come join the February Class. We would be happy to add you to the group.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I resonate so much with your post, could have written that word for word last November.
I know it's easier said than done, but you need to make the decision to stop drinking. But also, for me personally, I needed professional help and I needed to admit to family and friends that I had a massive problem which I couldn't solve on my own.
Basically I needed to be honest with myself and everyone around me in order for my decision to stop drinking to actually be put into action.
108 days sober and there is hope. In fact there was always hope, I felt it after the first couple of days.
Admitting to others that you are helpless in your addiction is not something to be ashamed of, it's a proud worthy moment and once you let others in to help, the journey to sobriety is much easier.
You can have a wonderful life without booze just dive in and realise you don't have to do this alone.
xoxo
Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Welcome!!

Come join the February Class. We would be happy to add you to the group.
Thanks; how do I join?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by groundhoggirl View Post
Thanks; how do I join?
Just go into the thread on the Newcomers (this) page, and say hello.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

12 is my record too. Welcome.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/404947-class-february-2017-support-thread-part-2-a.html

Here's the link if it works. ..
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought, ignorantly, that I was the only one that could be as screwed up as I was. I did most of the things you are describing.

When I quit, I thought I was losing it, until I found this place. I learned that all of the s*hit I did wasn't that unusual to all of the s*hit everyone else with my problem did. I also learned that how I felt wasn't crazy given the situation I was in. It helped and it can help you.

Consider joining a recovery group if you feel it would benefit you. Do whatever it takes. You CAN do it, and you will be grateful you did.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find incredible support on this site. I agree you should join the February 2017 class, also pop in on the 24 hour thread. Both of these threads will provide you with wonderfully supportive communities.

Glad you are here.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Your story sounds very familiar to many others here. I drank just to drink too at times. I either had an excuse or I didn't. I didn't care, I just drank anyway. Glad you're here.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi groundhoggirl

I could barely get 3 days once...this place and this community helped me turn my life around.

I know we can help you too

Welcome!
D