Notices

Right at the start

Old 02-25-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Right at the start

Well here goes... I have never done anything like this before but the time has come to admit I have a problem and need help. I'm a 35year old single guy, good job and on the surface look successful and happy, but the reality is I am not. I'm crap on my own and spend way too much time inside my own head. This has led to drinking way too much, roughly about 40 units a week. I have tried to quit before but never lasted much longer than a week. This week I got really annoyed with myself on Wednesday morning (it's now Saturday) because I drank whisky on Tuesday night. This led to me getting no sleep that night. That has been a new thing but if I drink anything around ten units I just cannot sleep at all. Anyway Friday I wake up fully rested and happy and committed to changing things, and by Friday night.... Some how had drank a bottle of wine and a beer. I'm not even totally sure how jt happened.. So here I am on a Saturday morning in that old "I'm an idiot" mode, desperately wanting to change and scared I can't and with a lack of belief in myself. I know how good my life can be without drink. So why can't I make the good choice? So here I am at day 1... Again. So all I can think to do is try something different to help me. So here I am posting on a rehab site. I'm going to really try and use this, but of course now isn't the problem, the next day is.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi newlife
I moved your post to Newcomers forum for more response

Support made all the difference for me. It made me feel as if I could change and stay changed. SR helped me do that - I know we can help you do the same

welcome

D
Old 02-25-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for doing that. I appreciate it
Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi newlife and welcome to SR. There is lots of support on this forum and good on you for trying something new.
SR and AA have got me to 79 days without a drink, a miracle considering I couldn't do one day on my own.

Stick around, read and post lots.

I wish you the very best in your journey into sobriety.

Scruff
Old 02-25-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Newlife,

I was where you are. I was told to put the shovel down there is a solution. I found the solution in the AA book. There are other programs that work also. Just find a program and make a plan then stick to it. It's really that simple. Oh yeah and don't drink. Just remember you can't expect a different result by doing the same thing over and over. Good luck Newlife and keep coming back we are here to help and support one another.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, keep posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Site helps! Feel free.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the moral support.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trying to quit drinking by yourself is really tough.

This site, along with the face to face boost of AA in the beginning helped me to get, and stay sober.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1

In NA they have the Big 4

1.) Don't pick up
2.) Go 2 Meetings
3.) Get a Sponsor
4.) Work the steps

I have realized in your recovery you have to put the work and effort into it or you will never recover. Just not using/drinking isn't going to work you have to take yourself to meetings (they say do 60 meetings in 60 days) and get yourself an sponsor and work the steps with them and the obvious don't pick up (don't drink/use).

Whatever you were doing before wasn't helping so you have to ask yourself what were you not doing in your recovery before that this time around you will make sure you will do so you can stay sober. Being here and talking about it is the first step I hope you realize you can do this and recovery can happen you just got to want it and put in the work that comes along with it.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Update

Hi guys. Thanks for the support. Well day one was fine, though I knew it would. Today will be OK too as I have stuff to do. Monday will be tougher for sure because I will be feeling back to my self, be well rested and feeling good... That is when come 6/7 pm I can slip. Unfortunately I can't attend a group for reasons that are hard to explain. Not denial or embarrassment but a practical reason. I do however have a therapist I go to on a Thursday and I have discussed the problem with family and close friends. I am hoping that their support, my therapist, my faith and my own drive for change will keep me going this time. That and checking in here every day both for support and as a reminder of the reality of the situation. Thanks guys
Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you know days 6 and 7 are usually rough you can definitely plan ahead.

This is a link on making a recovery plan
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

- it mentions AA in a couple of spots but it's not a requirement to go to AA (or any other meeting based approach) in order to make a good plan.

If you feel you need more support tho, keep in mind that AA and just about every other recovery method has online meetings now.

D
Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day3

Hi guys. Well yesterday went fine. No desire to drink and had a pretty full day. In work today and I have developed a plan for keeping me busy during the week. This involves checking in here every day around 8.00- 8.30 as I know that is the danger time for me. Tonight will likely be the start of my alcoholic head starting to wake up and start niggling at me so I'm being extra aware. I am hopeful this time around, I don't know why, I just am. I am going to develop an emergency relapse plan tonight for those times in which I am getting it really tight. Motivated to change this guy's. We can do this. Screw alcohol, it's the worst friend we ever had.