Notices

Back and forth

Old 02-24-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and forth

So. I'm 37. After so many years of being a functioning alcoholic I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to quit. I don't want to but I wan't to. I had went 16 days this time. Only contemplated a sober life since January. Just got a new job and fly to Central America on Tuesday. It's hard in early sobriety. Between the excitement and stress of a new job it got the better of me. Nothing crazy, just my favorite Rum and coke at home. I come on this website every night. As for me it;s nice that this is the first time I'm here on my own choice and reasons. It was crazy but stared at my rum and coke for 30 minutes deciding to take a sip. It felt like home but on the other hand felt guilty. Never have ever felt that way. Thank you to SR for changing my brain to actually realize I'm just hurting myself. I know its ending for the best. Just not to sure how to change my life around it. But, I feel blessed and its on my terms. I want to do this for me right now.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I have you right- you were the chef on a boat? Is the move to the new job a good one for your sobriety compared to the challenges you felt there?

Hope to see you around.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure, but have a plan. It's kind of cool always taking a new job because nobody knows you, I can go into this saying I don't drink. But there are real world pressures to bond with your new crew. Which usually happens over drinks!!!!! Like I said I'm Torn. I know drinking is not sustainable for me. On the other hand, my job is a permanent vacation with alcohol involved for work
Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi chef and welcome

remember

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 20th

we cant get drunk without the 1st drink

Old 02-24-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CC
good to see you again

If it's not too invasive a question, whats your plan?

D
Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi CC
good to see you again

If it's not too invasive a question, whats your plan?

D
Laughing because it's not that good. In my line of work a drink and a handshake is the closing deal. I fly in to Costa Rica on Tuesday. Nobody knows me. It's a good thing but yachting life is weird. I know as a chef I preform better sober and my life has less drama. On the other hand if the crew drinks and I choose to not hang out with them it's not good because we work and live with each other every day???? I know I'm better sober and plan on that.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If the crew is hanging out and drinking perhaps you can join them and simply drink a NA drink such as sparkling water. Early on in your sobriety it may be difficult, but eventually you're not going to be able to avoid these situations. If you avoid the situation without any explanation then I could see how the crew may resent you as you'll be seen as being antisocial. An explanation of "I don't drink" should suffice if anyone asks why you're not drinking alcohol.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CC- what is your not going to drink plan? What will you say, do, think to not drink at that moment? What actions will you take?
Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
Laughing because it's not that good. In my line of work a drink and a handshake is the closing deal. I fly in to Costa Rica on Tuesday. Nobody knows me. It's a good thing but yachting life is weird. I know as a chef I preform better sober and my life has less drama. On the other hand if the crew drinks and I choose to not hang out with them it's not good because we work and live with each other every day???? I know I'm better sober and plan on that.
It's good cos you're still fighting for your recovery

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
If the crew is hanging out and drinking perhaps you can join them and simply drink a NA drink such as sparkling water. Early on in your sobriety it may be difficult, but eventually you're not going to be able to avoid these situations. If you avoid the situation without any explanation then I could see how the crew may resent you as you'll be seen as being antisocial. An explanation of "I don't drink" should suffice if anyone asks why you're not drinking alcohol.
I wouldn't have been able to hang out with drinkers in the early days without caving into peer pressure.

I can do it now - my neighbor had a birthday and I went over for an hour or so...left cos it was getting boring...

didn't think of drinking, but I've been sober nearly a decade now.

It's not really a choice between being the anti social guy and the party animal - there are a lot of positions to take on that spectrum.

D
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
I know in my head. But there is the stigma/question when you say you don't drink. It's natural for normal drinkers to think the worst, He must be a "alcoholic" Why would someone not drink??? Not sure about this new job but I know for a fact alcohol is not in my future. I've been drinking and functioning on at least 1/2 a bottle of rum a day. My life has been good and fun but ready as an adult(in theory) to try something different
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
All is Change

Forget about the stigma. Get another stigma. You are someone sensible enough to not drink because when you do your life becomes unmanageable. Be that sensible person.