Notices

Anger

Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger

I had a family situation that really made me angry and then more so when some of the members added some post to facebook. Two weeks later I am still very angry!
I started thinking about how angry I am. I would normally be over my feeling within a day or so. Could it be that I am not drinking? I have no desire to drink because of it but I can't seem to get over it. It could be that I know it is far from over and will only get worse before getting better. ( boyfriend, step adults, divorce etc. etc.)I just hate walking around so angry.
To top it all off I started a new job a month ago and that in itself is so stressful. What a time to quit drinking (LOL).
Old 02-24-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Have you tried mindful meditation? It can help to put a stop to some of the rumination. Google how to stop rumination for tips.

I find that I don't let things go a quickly as I did when drinking. I don't hang on to anger, but I will either eventually say something or decide it wasn't important and let it go.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Just want to add, I don't think that it was that I let things go when drinking. More like I easily forgot about things.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

in aa we offer our experience not our opinion

praying for the person we resent is a method to minimize/ remove those feelings

the person who offended us may also be sick/ suffering

Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sammy

I'm sorry for whatever upset you and got you angry.

I found my emotions were a little bit all over the place in my early days - I've said before I was a million different people in my first 90 days and it really was like that.... but I settled down emotionally eventually.

For me the bottom line with anger is does it matter?
if it does I should do something about it...if it doesn't matter, I should let it go.

I've got a long list here of things that might help you with anger and stress

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-respite.html:

It's a learning curve for us, learning to deal with things sober, but you'll get there

D
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some people claim the root of anger is actually fear. Is there some underlying feeling or resentment that could be driving the anger? I'm not saying there is at all, but I know for myself there have been times when something really really got under my skin and drove me crazy, then when I stopped and really analyzed why I felt that way, I realized my feelings were actually based on fears of some kind, which is what pi**ed me off to being with. Who wants to be scared, right? Lol.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that since I've been sober my feeling are more "true". If I am mad its because I should be mad...and I stick to my guns (I rarely get mad though). When I was a drunk my anger and happiness were like a roller coaster and often unwarranted.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of anger early on in recovery too. Maybe you could step away from FB for awhile. It can be a mine-field.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the responses. I just have to let it go. I don't even know why I am so angry it isn't even about me. It is more my boyfriend being hurt by it all. I think I will just step back and let them all deal with it.