Notices

Feeling pretty darn good

Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling pretty darn good

Well here I am on day 69, bit of back story for those that didn't read my first post, on December 17th I promised my 8 year old I'd go snowboarding with him but had way too many drinks the night before, as usual my off button didn't work, I went anyway but it was a hard day.

I decided that day to stop and bought a season pass for us as part of my plan to quit, we have been out every weekend since then and it's been awesome to really get back into it like I was when I was a kid, this weekend I start training with the Canadian ski patrol, it's an amazing feeling to be joining their team, I can't believe how much my life has changed for the better in just a few months, especially my family life and the way I feel about myself, I no longer sometimes feel like they would be better off without me.

I figured the ski patrol would be a great thing for me since they need people and I'm there every weekend anyway, might as well volunteer my time.

I'm not gonna lie that I am super nervous about the toboggan training, gotta bring a 350 lb sled down the mountain, I have pins and screws in my ankle from a drunk night back in 2004 and it can be pretty sore sometimes,I just pray it will get me through this weekend, under normal circumstances it's not this demanding, spend most time just riding like normal and if you see something stop and help, usually can tow the toboggan with a snowmobile too, they said it's rare that you actually have to tow it, but of course you need to be able too, I've been snowboarding for a long time so I'm confident I can do it, just real nervous, I'll keep you posted how my weekend goes.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sport,

Sounds like you are doing very well. Congrats. I used to snow ski, but I never got past routine stem christi....parallel skiing and the double diamond runs were out of my league.

I quit once, at 27 or so, for 8 months. It was easy. No anxiety after I quit. No health issues that can recall. I got in amazing shape. So, I started up again.

23 years later....I was a mess. Not a hot mess...a high bp, pre diabetic, over weight, red eyed....troll.

Quitting was a living hell. At 69 days quit this time , I was working out, but I was really out of shape. My anxiety was hell. It took nearly 18 months to get to feeling m pretty good mentally. The mental damage for me lingered this last...and final quit.

So consider this if you decide to try to moderate in the future.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress sportsdeck,

D
Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

heres a chip for ya

Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really, this is AWESOME, and so inspiring! I know they say we have to quit for ourselves, no one else (although I think a kid under 18 really ranks)...but I read this as being all about YOU, Sportdeck! .

You quit to be the DAD you know you are, the ski patrol TEAM member you want to be ---and probably a lot of other facets of you are waiting their turn in the sober sun. I laughed aloud with delight when I read this post. THANK YOU, and I'll watch to hear how your ankle held up!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember your original post and I'm glad to know you've stuck with your plan and that you're doing well.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you sport. Sounds like you are really working hard for your family. Very commendable.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Super good news sportdeck. Love hearing success stories.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. Great story. I'm happy things are going well for you and your life has improved so much after quitting alcohol. I totally relate to your snowboarding story with your son. Last weekend I took my family snowboarding. I have a 7 year old son and was planning on teaching him how to ski. I met my sister and her husband there. As soon as we got to the hotel, we hit the bar. I was only planning on having a "few", but as usual I had too much. I blacked out and woke up dehydrated, nauseated, and feeling terrible. The last thing I wanted to do was go snowboarding. But I dragged myself to do it because I didn't want to let anyone down. I had an okay day, but I would have had a much better day if I wasn't hungover. Congratulations to you on your sobriety!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well day one of ski patrol training went awesome, such a good day, learnt a lot and I feel it's the right place for me to be, we helped a girl with a broken arm before it was even lunch time, I'm dog tired and ready for bed soon.

BUT, after the course there was a supper with free drinks and of course out of the 12 people there I was the only one that didn't have a drink, the fact that the drinks were there didn't bother me, it was all the questions about why wasn't I having them, like **** off, because I'm not, that's all you need to know...

Last edited by Dee74; 02-26-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sportdeck203 View Post
like **** off, because I'm not, that's all you need to know...
Exactly.

Brilliantly done and keep going! Love reading about your newfound outlook on life.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-26-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Woo hoo passed day two of on hill training, my legs are finished but I did it, feeling pretty high right now and I don't need booze to celebrate, lol.

I can start wearing the jacket and riding with them now any time I'm there, so pumped!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go sport. It's great to hear you are accomplishing such difficult but very positives goals. Very cool my friend.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your achievement

D