Notices

What if someone finds out...

Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Getting sober in my twenties was different but not tougher. For one thing I had a much shorter step 8 list

But I needn't have been concerned about anonymity in recovery. Apart from my entire secondary school I was expelled from, the police, a couple of institutions, the courts, all my friends, my family, my doctor, my employers and work mates, absolutely nobody had any inkling that I might be alcoholic.

In fact, as it was known so widely and my recovery was watched by so many, it resulted in several others including workmates and former bosses also seeking help in AA, and a few of them even recovered too.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Ego, pride and shame kill many alcoholics - many just can't take that step to find a solution. When I declared myself an alcoholic, it became unanimous.

Your words of encouragement and sharing of experience is beneficial to others and ourselves. Reminds us of the humility is takes to get sober; nurtures the soul I have learned. That is a hard lesson for those with egos my size. The pain of that was reduced when I began to understand humility isn't thinking less of ourselves, but thinking of ourselves less.

That is pretty consistent theme for those who get sober - helping others and viewing life in less self centered way. Why is it that sober alcoholics have such a burning desire (mostly) to help others?>

Maybe that another thread for you Thomas?!