Notices

How many times did you quit before you finally did

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One and done for me.
I don't do half measures. I was a really bad alcoholic, and now I'm really good at being sober. My big regret is not doing this ten or even fifteen years earlier.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All I can say is, don't be like me. I've quit every week for the last 1 year, maybe 2. Its soul destroying.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I could say 100 times. I could say 200 times.

But only once, the final time did I accept that I would never be a moderate drinker. I accepted I would never drink again.

All times before that I kept it in my mind as a slight possibility in the future. Period.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I managed to quit successfuly on this my first attempt.I was a heavy drinker for around 18years,prior to last summer.10months in now.Yes,seek help using the recovery program through your Church,for one-to-one or group help.They know you already,you feel comfortable there.Stay close to SR,keep posting
Old 02-23-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Melinda

You bring up a valid point. that slight possibility in the future. I have to know that my life will never have alcohol in it again. I am amazed how insidious my drinking had become. While planning a vacation last night, I thought about what wine I would take...oops, no....not ever again.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

You have made a great first step in reaching out for help at your church, and here. Remember that whoever you see at your church or at AA, they are there for the same reason. I really believe you will find great hope and support, beyond your expectations, and no judgement. When I stepped into my first AA meeting, I nearly wept with relief and gratitude that I was finally surrounded with people who had the same problem and were there to help each other.

I tried to moderate my drinking for years before my decision to quit. I thought I could do it. I always failed. It wasn't until I admitted I was an alcoholic and accepted that fully that I was able to stop. It took action on my part - treatment and AA and telling friends and family. So far anyway, I've only quit once. I truly believe the desire to drink has left me forever - but I could not have done that on my own.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

notgonnastoptry, Can you tell me about the forced quits?