Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Vipassana Meditation ~ An Introduction by S. N. Goenka

Mini Anapana For ALL (English) -S.N.Goenka

dhamma.org
Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
All is Change

Why the breath?

The cravings, the aversions, the ignorance is at the deep levels of the mind-body phenomena.

The conscious mind is not aware of the processes at work deep inside.

The unconscious midnd is continuously operating deep inside.

When asleep the unconscious mind is still working.

The dreams are on the interface between the conscious and the unconscious mind but happen when asleep.

How to observe the unconscious mind when conscious?

The Breath is one process, unlike others, that can be controlled by the conscious and by the unconscious.

When deep processes are in action like the generation of passion or anger the breath becomes hard and hot. So by observing the breath it is possible to observe the deeper processes.

The breath is a bridge between the conscious and the unconscious.

Why the nose?

The aim is to sharpen the awareness and to study the truth as it is.

In the area of the nose it is possible to study realities that are there all the time. It is a study of truth. This must be equanimous. This takes practise. It takes work. There is no magic. Old habit patterns must change.

In the area of the nose the point of focus can be narrowed so that over time the mind becomes very sharp and focused. (then it is possible to start the practice of vipassana.)

A study of the natural breath, as it is, moment to moment, in the area of the nose is a study of the deepest parts of the mind and body.

When the equanimous awareness is established the deepest impurities start to move. At this time it is important to recognise that the unpleasant sensations (and pleasant sensations) are to be used as a tool to establish and maintain equanimity and in doing so these solidified seemingly permanent impurities start to dissolve, rise, and pass away.

But to get there it is essential to first practise anapana. Do so now.

Be Happy.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
All is Change

Here is an hour meditation with instructions by Goenka in Hindi and English set in a forest at night with the wind in the trees and the night animals making their noises. The instructions are tailored to suit old and new students. The whole thing is about 1 1/2 hours with the meditation hour starting after about ten minutes.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gn4j3c...sanaforest.mp3

Sensations are
pleasant
unpleasant
neutral

reaction to pleasant sensations is craving, hunger
reaction to unpleasant is aversion, hate
reaction to neutral is ignorance

There are sensations everywhere. Neutral sensations are merely pleasant or unpleasant sensations that are deep and subtle. Not known at the moment. Can be known. Ignorance can be changed to knowledge.

The path to self knowledge is a path of wisdom. Dhamma.

No reaction to cravings.
No reaction to aversions.
No reactions to ignorance.

No reactions is equanimity.

Equanimous awareness of the truth leads to the ultimate truth of full self realisation.

Walk on the path and Be Happy, Be Peaceful, Be Liberated

May all Beings Be Happy
Old 03-04-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you, Grymt. I am an "old student", too. I will sit today.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
All is Change

Good. For you and many others.

Thank you, I've been mostly going into some of the basic ideas. (which is enough to start) Leaving the instructions to Goenka.

Here are some ideas about sitting place...

A place to sit.

Some of the things that are helpful.

A mat about 2 1/2 foot, 75cm*2, by 2 1/2 made of firm foam. A blanket folded to that size is fine too.

A seating cushion about 1 foot by 10" of firm foam.

Some things like socks stuffed with socks or rags, stuffed toys, bits of foam cubes.

A quiet, dark, wind free space where you can be for about an hour at a time. Place the mat so you have room around you. Place seating cushion on mat and use the small cushions to support knees etc.

If you use the space for only meditation it tends to adapt to your needs and supports it.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
All is Change

Some sitting positions. The point being keeping back and neck straight while sitting on a stable base.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psou5qj7pq.jpg
Old 03-05-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I've found that training myself for the sitting position is an important element to the practice, the familiarity of the posture helps facilitate the mental attitude.

I like the 1hr suggestion though, I don't practice zen but I had the opportunity to attend a 1hr zazen session before a long redeye flight and it was the perfect antidote. For my normal practice I sit in seiza posture and can reasonably hold 45 minutes, happily this group permitted a 30 minute stretch so I remained fairly comfy thru the session. lol, they concluded with brief formal prayers made in a standing position I wasn't ready to get up (they know when to do a brief stretch before the moment of standing) so they got me on that one but I was pleased to be able to hold my own posture to respect their practice.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
All is Change

The Buddha's first sermon after his Enlightenment centered on the

Four Noble Truths

1 The truth of suffering (dukkha)
2 The truth of the cause of suffering (samudaya)
3 The truth of the end of suffering (nirhodha)
4 The truth of the path that frees us from suffering (magga)

The Fourth noble Truth concerns the Middle Path or

The Eight Fold Noble Path

1 Right Understanding (Samma ditthi)
2 Right Thought (Samma sankappa)
3 Right Speech (Samma vaca)
4 Right Action (Samma kammanta)
5 Right Livelihood (Samma ajiva)
6 Right Effort (Samma vayama)
7 Right Mindfulness (Samma sati)
8 Right Concentration (Samma samadhi)

The Technique used is Vipassana. Anapana is practiced in order to sharpen and strengthen the mind focus so that the entire structure of the mind and body can be examined using Vipassana.

This is 'Walking on the Path'

Bearing in mind the eight fold noble path.

The meditator undertakes to not speak lies, to not steal, to not kill, to not perform sexual misconduct, to not take intoxicants.

A bhikku, or bikkhuni, (monk or nun) take further precepts but for the ordinary householder the five precepts are essential.

Before meditating repeat

I shall abstain from speaking lies
I shall abstain from stealing
I shall abstain from killing
I shall abstain from sexual misconduct
I shall abstain from intoxicants

After meditating repeat

May All Beings Be Happy, Be Peaceful, Be Liberated
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Grymt,

my usual practice is on the mahayana side of things but I've been thinking of doing a theravadan retreat- theres a Goenka related center nearby that offers weekend and 10 day retreats (I live in the US). A friend of mine practices Theravadan and has gone on a number of retreats at a different center, and suggests that this Goenka center is known to be pretty ascetic compared to his. I don't mind that as such but I wonder if I have the chops for the meditation sessions; I can certainly swing 1+hr vipassana/samatha sessions a couple times a day but I can't hold my seiza posture for those durations without stretching to restore circulation. Thats been my exclusive posture for a while and I've been training on it pretty hard recently, but I have no experience with 1/2 or full lotus even with a cushion. So if this a question is pertinent and appropriate I'm wondering how strict the Goenka related centers tend to be wrt posture in-session.

Thx!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
All is Change

Hi, not that strict. Goenka explains this in one of the videos. Ist day discourse I think. It's recommended to keep the spine straight. I have sat courses where people sit on a chair in the back and others who sit by the wall sit up against that.
Personally on my first course I found that it was very painful to sit for the asked for time unsupported until the third day when suddenly my whole body 'dissolved' amd there was no more pain anywhere, just a vibration like tiny bubbles coursing through my entire body. Goenka said in that night discourse that that happens. After that, which I took as a dissolution of long held on mental and physical blocks, it became easy to sit. I would not worry about posture.