Notices

HALT: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired

Old 02-21-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HALT: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired

I've heard it said several times that when a person is hungry, angry, lonely or tired they are more likely to succumb to addictive behaviour. Last night I was lying in bed (sober) thinking about that. I realised that I'd had a lot of coffee yesterday and that reduced my appetite which meant that I was actually about a hungry when I went to AA. I sensed anger and resentment towards AA and then when I got home I felt a bit angry with the group for not being some kind of marvellous refuge to make me feel better. Not surpisingly with all those thoughts whizzing in my head it was relatively hard to sleep and I got more tired.

Clearly all these things link up. Today I've decided to only have one coffee and get enough to eat and also to do some exercise so when I go to bed tonight I'll be tired for the right reasons. Hopefully that will mean my temptation to consider taking drugs and getting drunk again will not lead to me caving in.

I might go back to AA and talk about it too, perhaps.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post, my AV could spin around most any craving and tell me I was craving a drink. In early sobriety eating regular meals was crucial to staying sober. If I got a little hungry my AV would scream loud and clear, " you need a drink you big dummy!!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

There's an AA speaker I heard once say - if I didn't offend you today, come back tomorrow!

I can't share with you how many times I got angry and resentful at friends in the program. Still do, a little and not frequently. Early I heard and read that when we are disturbed by others there is something wrong with us. Heck, reading that made me resentful!!

Today and over time, those feelings have mostly dissipated. Of course it's progress, not perfection and we are only human.

Coffee does that to me as well and early on there is so much turmoil to our bodies and minds trying to regulate, find a new normal. HALT is a great newcomer reminder to do a quick self check.

There's a short book entitled Living Sober that has many other things I found helpful in starting the journey. Maybe check it out if you haven't.

Sharing about resentments in the group is a great idea. ALL will quickly identify with this topic, rest assured. After all - resentments are the number one offender.

Thanks for thread!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I definitelyget "hangry." Also anxious when I am hungry. I keep snacks in the car.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

HALT is extremely important to remember, especially in early sobriety. Our addictive voice will use any and all of these to try to trick us into drinking.

Knowledge is power!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Hangry" I like that! New word for me. Maybe I'll share that word at a meeting later.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I taught nursing students - we used HALTS(ad). The T for tired or thirsty.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread. I went to a meeting yesterday and got resentful at someone during the meeting. I've got a family member who's also in AA and there is a big resentment there. They weren't there, but someone else actually mentioned them in their share. I had to get up and leave. It's good to read resentments at/in AA are actually a normal part of recovery. I've never heard that before.

I'd love to share about my resentments at a meeting. Boy, the people I would offend. I'd probably take up the whole meeting as well!

HALT - Anger is my big one. It's much easier for me to stay on top of the other 3. I eat well and am getting lots of sleep. If I get lonely I go to a meeting (despite my resentments). Usually at least. If you're so resentful at AA you stop going, well, that's a problem. It's been a problem for me in the past, and continues to be.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can understand why you were a bit cross someone talked about one of your family members at a meeting. Anyway, I hope that you still find your group to be mainly positive and supportive.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Different people require different levels of support. I feel pretty lucky in the fact that the HALT method and SR were all that were necessary for me. The HALT method/theory really works for me. Mainly the hungry portion. Early on I'd whip into the drive-thru just to get a burger to slam down. When my belly is full, I have no desire to drink.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had "one of those days" today, where I got enough sleep but I wasn't totally awake because I hit snooze so many times and didn't shower and didn't make coffee or eat breakfast before clinical... So I was running my bum off at the nursing home, where I have just started as a nursing student, so not knowing the routines, not being used to the running around, being unfamiliar with the people and personalities and behaviors.. and then trying to collect the information I needed to start writing a care plan on my assigned patients, not being familiar with charts, because I'm used to electronic records.. I. have. the. worst. headache.

And the idea of drinking to make the headache go away, it did come up.. I mean briefly, and I didn't get upset, I acknowledged it and let it pass and I'm fine.. But if days like this did become routine, where I start the day off neglecting my own needs and then exhaust myself attending to all the needs of other people, then I'm gonna burn out quickly, and I'm gonna relapse.

I need to make sure I get as much sleep as I can, HAVE BREAKFAST and water, not just caffeinated beverages.. And I need to get up and spend a little time in meditation/prayer.. And I need to carry around something to munch on for a little energy, and some Tylenol!