Notices

Newbie with a drink problem

Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Still sober after day 1 of the easter hols and don't fancy a drink at all.
Daughter went in the freezer yesterday to look for some ice cream and found an empty bottle of vodka hiding away at the back. My wife questioned me about it and I told her straight ...I hid it after I'd downed half the bottle! Tbh, I'm glad she found out!
Although I think she knows I have a problem, she's still not convinced its as bad as I say. She still wants me to drink socially on holidays abroad! I'm not sure this will help. Sometimes I just wish shed be strict and say no way! Maybe she doesn't want to accept my problem??I don't know?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

As long as you accept it nothing else matters
Old 04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome YorkShire!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck Yorkshirebloke!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Welcome! I also failed to be able to drink in moderation. Many people can, but for various reasons I can't. I think your insight is spot on.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Keep posting yb
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

so, the bank holiday has now passed and I'm well happy with myself for not drinking!
Actually sitting back, watching how friends acted when drunk was quite sobering in itself! in fact, it was quite worrying how much they drank and how much nonsense people spoke! It was also worrying that they wanted to drink next day to try and shift their hangovers!

Overall, friends were very supportive and understanding. They did ask when I'm going to start drinking again? -and that i need to be drinking again for when we go abroad on holiday! My wife even assured them that i'd be having a few pints on holiday!- this annoyed me a lot, as surely this is my decision? maybe i'd like to go abroad for the first time in my adult life and feel good in myself!?

My head is as clear as a whistle today but i seem to have a strong urge for a drink. -it seems to be the only thing on my mind. Maybe i'm just tired from a busy weekend and need a way to relax?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I often got through something tricky then wanted a drink as a reward...

work past the urge YB you're doing great.

D
Old 04-18-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

YB - One day at a time.

Deal with your holiday when that time comes around.

Regards 'Your fellow day 22'er'

Tony
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

After a difficult week( for some reason, for which i cant put a finger on, I've been struggling with my anxiety and depression) this weekend has been a real challenge. I nearly broke! I craved a beer so much on saturday,I put two bottles of beer in the fridge (just in case), paced the garden to try and talk myself out of it. The devil on me was saying, go on, a couple wont hurt, its sunday tomorrow and you're not going out so so what if you have a hangover. The other side was saying no, look how far you've come, do you want to spend your sunday feeling dreadful? I resisted and felt good on sunday morning......then low and behold, I went through the same scenario on Sunday!! Today I have no cravings at all!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
All is Change

Good on you. That's the way. One day at a time. Just like that.

edit add: of course, dump the booze. no temptations.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got though - but if you haven't already, take the beer in the fridge and dump it.

D
Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 42 of no alcohol! woohoo!
Nearly slipped though! Two un planned BBQ's over the weekend with beer and wine flowing like there was no tomorrow! I nearly bit my hand off, I wanted an ice cold beer so much! I was desperate!
Anyway, I restrained and am well pleased about it. The "drunkards" were funny at first, but then got annoying, telling me the same story over and over again!
Got another doo to attend this next weekend.......wish me luck!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Congratulations on Day 42. Many, many long-term sober people recommend "dry places, dry faces" for early sobriety. I know for me, avoiding those tempting situations is very important as well as simply making it easier on myself.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice work on day 42
Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 42

For what its worth I avoided alcohol related social events for a while., Recovery was hard for me I didn't see any reason to make it harder.

I often talk about building sober muscles. Noone starts of lifting 300 pounds.

I missed a few parties but I gained a new life. Still seems like a good deal to me

D
Old 05-08-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yorkshirebloke View Post
She says its ok for me to enjoy a few beers once a week, but I dont think she understands that once i have the "taste" i feel the need to drink into oblivion!

I'm an all or nothing personality, but the "all" in this case isn't good.

I'm currently on day 3 of sobriety.
The "taste" you describe is the phenomenon of craving described in the AA book. Normal drinkers do not get that. That separates the alkies from the normies. Also, non-problematic drinkers don't seek out recovery forums or advice how to drink responsible they just do it. So, now your toughest challenge in front of you is accepting that you can never drink normal again (if you ever had). Welcome to the biggest club that nobody wanted to join. But it's one club you will learn to live happy, joyous and free if you put the work in.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Disregard my previous post. I didn't realize I missed a whole month of this thread. Geez!!

Congrats on 42 Days! that is a great job.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days...well done! Really good job on moving past the cold beer you put in the fridge...then the BBQ.

I've only had one social occasion in which sobriety might have been threatened since my sobriety date. My husband and I entertained a friend for dinner. It was kind of too easy because our friend doesn't drink and my husband didn't drink that night either.

Good luck on your journey...you're doing great!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Welcome Yorkshirebloke! I'm not sure if this was going through your mind while you were on vacation, but it reminded me of a recent bender I had (last night), where I said to myself, "I've been sober for 5 weeks now, I can just have one glass of wine...I have control of my drinking..." That one glass turned into two bottles. I feel miserable today...physically and mentally.

Anyway, I guess my point is that us types will never stop at one drink. And if that chatter starts in our heads, "I can just have one..." it's all lies. Sobriety is where it's at. I wish I was like a normal person that could stop at one drink, but I just cannot. There's no ifs, ands, buts, or bargaining about it...

I'm glad you're here!