Notices

Day one

Old 02-21-2017, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

I have just admitted to myself and loved ones that I AM AN ALCOHOLIC and that the road will be long and feels daunting but I have made the decision today that I will not drink again.
My problem with alcohol has been apparent for many years but I never associated alcohol as being the cause to my problem until last night when I wrote down all the detrimental things that have caused my wife to force a temporary separation, EVERY single problem had alcohol involved and I am at risk of losing my amazing beautiful wife and my 2 adorable and incredible children. 1 and 5 years old.
I attended my first AA meeting (drunk) on sunday and continued to have a drink last night...I must learn not to be scared of facing this head on and making the decision every single day that I must not reach for the bottle for any reason.
For all you newcomers I am happy to share my thoughts with you and to be of any assistance I can to you.
Good luck to me and to all who made this decision to change their lives.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR no worries

D
Old 02-21-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome to SR.

The road is both long and short. The first 30 days is longer than the first 30 years, which go in a flash. It all comes down to 24 hours though. What we do today determines how promising our futire will be, and how happy our memories will be. "Today lived well makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope".
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are walking a very similar path to me. I have two small children and a wife that was ready to leave. My life was an absolute shambles when I finally gave up and went seeking help outside of myself.

I went to AA and never looked back. It is by far the best thing that I have ever done in my life.

You can do this, you have the strength to do it. Take all the support you can from AA and from here and just live a day at a time. Don't overthink it, take the suggested steps and your sobriety will be given to you!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Now,

It is addiction. There is no mystery...no magic.

You will suffer, then you will feel uncomfortable, then you will feel better.

Addiction is for life. Relapse is waiting. When we relapse we feel lost. Folks get discouraged...but it boils down to addiction.

Look in the mirror and see a drug addict. That is real. When you crave...offer yourself only the rationale that you are a drug addict. We crave.

It is not fun or funny initally. But, it gets better.

In time, we get better. We have to fill our day w sobriety. From dawn till dusk.

Eventually, our brains heal. We start to find enjoyment in everyday life. But it takes a long time to stabilize.

It is a change in lifestyle.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome Noworries to SR and to Day One. This is a great community and every single person here has gone through their own Day One's. You can do this!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have passed the first huge hurdle of getting sober- admitting that we have a problem and to actually admit to ourselves exactly how much our addiction is ruining our lives and those around us. I know that the fear in the beginning can be daunting and at times crippling.. you CAN do this. You have the power to shut this chapter in your life and open the door to a whole new one. Creating the life we deserve will take time and absolute dedication but it is so worth it.