Notices

Greetings, New Member

Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings, New Member

Greetings, I just signed up, and wanted to introduce myself.
I joined because I need to control my binge drinking, It has started to affect my work, and I need to get under control. I hope to find the information, and support to help me get thru this. I joined this site as an alternative to AA. I am not anti-social, however I find AA meetings a little off-putting, I have attended meetings in the past, with a girlfriend and I don't think its for me, I have also made an appointment for individual counseling in my area, however I am not here to judge what works for others, if works for you, press on.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Are you looking to "control" your binge drinking, or quit completely?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! You will find lots of support here and lots of different ideas on recovery.

I'm glad you are planning to get counselling.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know at this point.I have been able to control my drinking habits in the past, and I have also completely abstained for years, I have always had a problem with alcohol, mostly binge drinking. Its weird with me because I can drink "normal" , but through the course of my life there have been occasions, when I start I cant stop. Its like i don't have an "Off" switch. I don't crave alcohol or constantly think about it, or want a beer or feel i deserve a beer as a reward, its a strange thing. I will say this I have dui"s in the past, (both of them dismissed), and I have hurt people I care about while drunk, and screwed up jobs (thats what got me to this sight. I just probably screwed up a good paying job that I just started 2 weeks ago). I just need to figure this thing out. I do know that i'm a problem drinker, and I would like for it to stop.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR NuLeaf

You'll find a variety of methods at play here, including AA but certainly not just AA

I had a toxic relationship with alcohol. The only way I solved my problem drinking was to sever that relationship and not drink at all.

D
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BFG

Hello, I am new to recovery and I have been to many A.A and N.A meetings and I have not found one that I can feel totally comfortable. I have even bought drugs at N. A. meetings. I am looking for suggestions and guidance to direct me in my journey.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Nuleaf and BFG! This is a great place to be.

I understand the wish to moderate and get a handle on your continued drinking. I tried for years. I don't have an off switch either. Many here will tell you the same. I finally realized it caused me a lot less stress and anxiety to just not drink at all. It was the best decision I ever made. I hope you find what you are looking for here. Check out the Secular Connections forum when you get a chance, there is a ton of information on alternative program's there.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Nuleaf. Being part of this community gave me the courage to change my life. It's wonderful to be free of the drama, fear, & misery caused by drinking. Welcome
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Nuleaf. Like many, controlled drinking for me was just an excuse to keep drinking. I even had a boss (a sociologist- so he adamantly believed logic can overcome addiction- so controlled drinking was what I had to do). That made it worse- I had official sanction to drink, so when (and it came) I stuffed up- I could say 'I am trying'. I hope you figure out what works for you.
To me- you saying binge drinking, worry and job security are huge red flags. I am glad you are looking into it seriously with a plan in mind.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words. It's good to know that I am not alone. My big dilemma this morning is having to face my job. They haven't heard from me since I walked off Friday after "speaking my mind " while still under the influence. It's like i'm afraid of admitting I have a problem. I know what the worst case scenario could be, I lose my job. The problem is if I keep my job my co-workers will think that the new guy is some kind of un-hinged quack, but I guess that is my pride thinking. I also don't think I can work there because I am truly ashamed of my behavior. I am mustering up the courage to give them a call just to apologize, and deal with the consequences of my actions.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nuleaf...glad you are here. I bet you are already at work. I used to work payroll and coordinated a LOT with our Human Resource Dept. I feel like before you even approach your boss you should check with HR. They offer a bunch of support. Checking into a rehab may be covered as well. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nuleaf - thinking of you & wondering how it went with work. Hope you're ok.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA Member

welcome!
Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Nuleaf!
Hi BFG!

Good that you're here.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Nuleaf. I'm new here too. SR is amazing and I have found a lot of support and great advice here so far. I'm on day 3.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I know in the US a lot of places will go a little easier on you (as in, not fire you) if you admit you have an addiction and are seeking help. As MsCooterBrown said, you might want to check with HR.

Hope you find something that works for you - post often, read often & take it one minute at a time.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome