Notices

Facing 2 DUI in 7 year and petrified

Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facing 2 DUI in 7 year and petrified

i am petrified. a little over 7 years ago i had a complete nervous breakdown and began binge drinking.. i had 3 arrests, two i refused a blood test and it was reduced to 1 DUI and reckless driving.. i served 14 days in jail and was on probation, did my time and completely changed my life around. i got in school and it is my final semester in school, met an amazing person, had a son that is now 5, starting working in television and had just a complete overhaul of my existence. a few months ago she told me that we needed to separate and i started to lose it.. i started drinking at home and would never have driven while drinking again... she caught me and told me to leave and i was pulled over... i declined a blood test but have since been completely out of control with my depression and unable to function.. i have my first arraignment tomorrow, i have been going to AA for the first time, four times in 7 days, i am looking to seek mental assistance for my now diagnosed PTSD and Bi-polar disorder.. i can not take my son to the very prestigious pre-k that i was responsible for getting him to, i can not get myself to and from work or school, my life has completely fallen apart in two weeks.. and all i can think about is going to jail.. i can not afford a lawyer this time... i am in complete and utter panic mode because i had made such a great life for myself and $5 ruined that.. i am in TN so the jail time is 45 days to one year.. i work two jobs.. i can not calm down about going tomorrow and really need some advice, help.. anything... i have given her all of my credit cards, all of my money, and my id's to make sure that i do not relapse
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I am sorry for your situation. But right now, there is nothing you can do about it. Don't play the "what if" game. The only thing you can control is you, and I think you did a great thing by not drinking! (giving your money to someone else). There is a ton of support here.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Go and volunteer at the local homeless shelter or try the church. It seems to me you'll want to spend the next period busy doing good work to take your mind off the future for now.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sorry I have to do this. man on Sat night here in Milwaukee at 7pm in the evening. hit a 60 year old man crossing the street.. killed him.. police looked for 48 hours for car with that hit on it and windshield.. they found him.. drunk.. hiding in his apartment not far from the kill... he will now face murder with a car.. 60 year old never knew what hit him .. he was high.. two families screaming my father my grand dad my son. at each other. two men one drunk with 3 DUI's under his belt and one man with warrant for his arrest in drugs and robbery... kiddo maybe the God you are not listening to is trying to tell you something. listen hard. is this how you want to be remembered. sorry all.. we were going to an event for singer friend.. we saw this happen .. I was one of the responders trying to get the man on the ground to stay with me.. and Eddie Lee was screaming in his phone for 911 to listen carefully.. we never made it to our Fun event.. I cried all weekend.. circles I keep saying the circles we have around us and how they touch so many.. prayers hope and trying so hard to have a better tomorrow.. I got home and had a drink of my wine.. I paid for it my leg swelled up and we had to ER me on Sunday for help.. I have not had a drink in 19 years.. will I again. no kids and beans with Gods good grace and hope No I will try to stay firm and not do this again.. a lady clown in Wisconsin..
Old 02-20-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

I'm impressed that you're taking responsibility for your actions by admitting that there is a problem.

Huge.

You're going to meetings and seeking Psych Services.

Make sure to get something signed at the meetings to show the judge.

You (We) will get thru this ... you're not alone.

Like the 1st step says WE admitted ...

Its a Fellowship

God bless

Old 02-20-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR labyrinth.

All of those things you mention in your post ought to mitigate against a heavy sentence I would have thought. I am not from the USA so I have no experience but maybe you could do some online research about getting some free legal advise, even if it is only guidance rather than an actual lawyer.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the situation you are in. I can only suggest that you stay sober and keep getting the medical help that you need. I wish you well in Court tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I lost my license this last time around due to two DUI's within a ten year period. Rode a motorized bicycle around town and to drunk driving school for a couple of years. Wasn't easy but, I got through it sober.

Not sure about your State but in CA for refusing the test I think they pull your license for a year or two.

Stick with AA and let God help you to stay sober and work through all of this.

Down the road (if you keep doing the right thing) it will be behind you.

M-Bob
Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can get through this. You are not alone. Just get to court tomorrow and this time tomorrow it will be over. Then you find out the consequences and deal with them. We are here for support. Hugs and prayers to you.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

staying sober is your best and only sensible choice. tomorrow you'll go to your arraignment and find out what's what........worrying endlessly over it now won't change whatever the outcome will be.

i know it sux....but drinking does that. thank god you didn't hit anyone, or harm yourself. some things in your life might get put on hold for awhile as you deal with the current circumstances. we don't know what the future will look like for you down the road....but it will certainly be much brighter as long as you don't drink. ever.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Stay strong. Whatever happens tomorrow, this could be the turning point for a life without alcohol-induced crises. A better, calmer, life is there for you.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry you are going through this....I would be anxious, too. I had a DUI many years ago and it was no fun. Judges like to see proactive behavior. Going to AA is great (and make sure you get evidence of your participation.) If there's an outpatient (or inpatient) rehab you can attend, that's even better. Sometimes they will allow rehab in lieu of jail time. You can do this. People have gone through what you're dealing with and come out with a better life. We are here for support.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi labyrinth,

Last May I was sitting somewhat where you are right now. Not the same exact circumstances but I was definitely in a world of crap.

There's no sense thinking in the "if only" and "what if" mode. What's done is done.

Try to find some peace knowing that whatever the outcome is you will get through it. It may take some time but you will. That's the only thing that got me out of my head and preserved my sanity.

I hope for the best for you tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with the others - try to remain calm. I had a DUI as well a year ago. It was not fun to deal with. At the time it happened I thought my world was over. I was terrified and had no idea where to turn. But I got through it.

One thing that stood out to me - you turned your credit cards and $ over to the person that kicked you out? Is this a good idea?

I would try to jot down what you would like to portray to the judge. Such as working two jobs, getting your son to school, going to AA, participating in an online forum daily (here). Is there a possibility of checking into a rehab somewhere? That will not only help you, but your case as well. If you're not able to obtain a lawyer, in my state they'll grant you a court appointed lawyer.

Above all STAY SOBER, present your side and look presentable tomorrow. Good luck, you're not alone and let us know how it goes. I am glad that nobody was hurt. It could have been worse.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here labrynth but if you want to change your life and stop drinking, this is the place to be.

I know nothing about DUIs but you're obviously making changes - I hope things go well for you

D
Old 02-21-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Luck today! Brighter days ahead for you, maybe this was a wake up call that the Universe is giving you. (Though it doesn't feel like it at the moment I know). Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I had my wake-up call in December of 2014 when I got my third DUI of my life. That night was the last drink I ever had. I immediately went to treatment, started going to AA, and began turning my life around. By the time I got to court for sentencing, I had done a ton of proactive things, and I got the very minimum sentence. I got through all of it. It was the push I needed to quit once and for all, and I do believe it was my higher power sending me a very clear message. I was terrified for a few days after my arrest - but with support from AA and treatment and people who care about me, I began to feel a calm like I had never experienced in my life.

You will get through this. Thank goodness no one was hurt - as others have said, it could have been worse. I know it all looks very bleak right now - been there - but just stay sober, do the right things, and you can build a much better life for yourself down the road. I did. You can, too.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Do not drink. Stay safe and do not take risks. Breathe. Get some one to go with you. Post heaps.
Support to you.
I have done the DUI twice- went to court. Different in Aus. but I empathise. Drinking will make it worse. Just take this day by day.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I also had two DUIs within 7 years. Along with an almost-DUI hit-and-run charge that was dropped due to lack of evidence that I'd been drunk at the time of the accident... a close call.

Along with a lot of other issues in my life falling to pieces during that time.

I did my time and muddled through it all.... and kept on drinking.

I also kept on drinking and driving. That's how bad and stupid addiction is. I risked my life. My kids lives. Other people's lives on the road. Finally one day, many horrible despairing blackouts later, I realized this was only going to end up in death or prison or worse..... and so I began truly embracing sobriety.

I am three years sober, I am happy and proud of myself and joyful and free of that awful despair. Those DUIs and their consequences are behind me. It was a series of lousy events in life that led to tremendous growth and abundance.

Yours can be, too..... keep at it. Embrace sobriety. Tend to your mental health. Make EVERY day a day of growth and action in the direction of a better, happier, more deep and abundant life. Recognize that sobriety is the absolute best way to attain that. Recognize that you will NEVER EVER have another DUI again in a life of sobriety. Nor many of the other troubles that come along with drinking.

You can do this. And it will be amazing.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi labyrinth... kiddo are you here today.. you have crossed my mind and I know the hearts of so many on here in the last 48 hours.. tag in ..prayers kiddo to you and family.. for so many many good reasons... a Mom