Notices

Happiness and Being Sober

Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
I haven't received any physical withdrawal symptoms. My body is fine - my mind, not so much. But you are right - every time I give in, I reset. And it gets worse.
CL,

Welcome. As you've recognized, you are using alcohol to deal with underlying psychological issues, but said there is not much in the way of services for that sort of thing in Malawi. There are resources online for even that stuff. Google Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Anxiety and Depression. You can get workbooks off of Amazon, etc., for that sort of stuff.

In any event, if you concentrate on the psych issues, I think you will be in good shape. And it is a very good fact that you have been dry for 4 days and have had no physical withdrawals. Trust me on one thing. You DO NOT EVER want to get to that point where you have an actual physical addiction. That is a horrifying place to be at.

Stay away from the booze.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
CL,

Welcome. As you've recognized, you are using alcohol to deal with underlying psychological issues, but said there is not much in the way of services for that sort of thing in Malawi. There are resources online for even that stuff. Google Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Anxiety and Depression. You can get workbooks off of Amazon, etc., for that sort of stuff.

In any event, if you concentrate on the psych issues, I think you will be in good shape. And it is a very good fact that you have been dry for 4 days and have had no physical withdrawals. Trust me on one thing. You DO NOT EVER want to get to that point where you have an actual physical addiction. That is a horrifying place to be at.

Stay away from the booze.
Hello, Horn. Thanks for the message.

Yes, my dad was also an alcoholic, and he used to get the shakes when he didn't drink. His hands would tremble uncontrollably. Not a good memory and it is not something I wish to replicate.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome - I am very sorry to hear that you have decided you will relapse. I truly believe that is not necessary and wish you the best in deciding to quit, for good. You do not have to "end up" like your dad.

Take care.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Welcome - I am very sorry to hear that you have decided you will relapse. I truly believe that is not necessary and wish you the best in deciding to quit, for good. You do not have to "end up" like your dad.

Take care.
Hello, August

I am feeling much better right now. Emotionally I wasn't in a very good place when I began this thread. Course I'm only 6 days in but I am finding it much easier to go without a drink. I really am. I can't guarentee I'll never drink, but right now I can guarantee I'll try my hardest to avoid it.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand the fear of uttering forever...but I feel duty bound to reassure you, you can guarantee it

Give your recovery everything you've got, reach out for help when you need it, make the changes necessary, go to any lengths not to drink again...and you won't

you have the power - not your addiction
D