Notices

"Just 1 more time" might be your last.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Just 1 more time" might be your last.

As addicts we have all been through the "one more time" mind game. It always ends with using and by two days it is already gone. I wanted to write this post to show an example of what can happen when you go out and do it "one more time".

I have a friend who was a heroin addict, crack addict, benzo addict, and alcoholic. He was about as bad as you can be. I saw him at Walmart and he said how I look so good and that he is going to get sober too. He could barely walk. I prayed he really would get help and get sober. The next day I get a phone call from a mutual friend and she tells me that he died. A man and his son were playing Pokémon Go and they stumbled upon his body. He had been thrown into the bushes. It breaks my heart. Not only did he overdose, but who he was with drove him to a parking lot and dumped his body into the bushes instead of calling an ambulance.

"One more time" can be the time where the addiction wins and we lose.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes- addiction is hell.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it really can be life and death.

I've been called melodramatic in the past & probably will be again one day, but I've lost SR friends.

They're dead.

Good people leaving behind parents, siblings, partners, kids grandkids and friends.

Things really can turn in an instant from one bad decision.

D
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sad. :-(
Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sad to hear that.

Addiction is like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So very sad.Every so often,I hear of thr deaths of folk who all die in much the same circumstances as your friend.Folk I worked with at a drop-in centre catering for drug and alcohol addiction.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My condolences AdelineRose
Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, it is a very sad reminder of how important sobriety is to each of us.

I know that I do not have another "one more time," in me. I know it would lead right back to daily drinking, and stopping again would be difficult. I don't plan on finding out how difficult.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Horror stories like this have been occurring every second of every day before everyone on this forum was born. Before their parents were born.

If it were enough of a "warning", no one would be here.

Yes that "one more shots a permanent vacation". The very nature of addiction will take that fear and use it as another excuse.

IMO, that person needed a lot more than a prayer, and I'm not sure how he was going to get that when families are told to kick people to the curb etc.

Once someone's body, mind and spirit are that sick, they need all the support they can get.

Here's hoping that those here receive enough grace to break free of whatevers holding them back.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey did that make the news? Could swear I've heard this story.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I've been called melodramatic in the past & probably will be again one day, but I've lost SR friends.

They're dead.

Good people leaving behind parents, siblings, partners, kids grandkids and friends.

Things really can turn in an instant from one bad decision.

D
Me, too.

I don't have another chance in me. For me, to drink again is to die. Not that day, or that week but...in short order.

And, here's the thing: the ONLY reason I would drink again is because I am an alcoholic.So my job is to do everything I can, every day, not to give that fact any traction in my life.

I have too much to lose- and my life is too good now. There is not one single thing that was better when I was drinking- not one- and things would be infinitely and ultimately, permanently, worse if I drank again.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
D
I have heard so many friends say, "I'm going to try to get as high as I can and whatever if I overdose, all I care about is getting super high". He was one of them, mixing crazy amounts of heroin with crazy amounts of benzo.. sure he prob did it a million times before, but all it took was THIS time to end it all. It disgusts me that people can be so cruel and heartless and throw him in the bushes- sadly I know a good amount of people who have been treated that way.. I thank God EVERY day a million times a day that I am sober.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Hey did that make the news? Could swear I've heard this story.
Yes it did make the news so I am sure that it was the same person- 42 year old male and his name was Andrew Micheal Moore.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melissa1217 View Post
Horror stories like this have been occurring every second of every day before everyone on this forum was born. Before their parents were born.

If it were enough of a "warning", no one would be here.

Yes that "one more shots a permanent vacation". The very nature of addiction will take that fear and use it as another excuse.

IMO, that person needed a lot more than a prayer, and I'm not sure how he was going to get that when families are told to kick people to the curb etc.

Once someone's body, mind and spirit are that sick, they need all the support they can get.

Here's hoping that those here receive enough grace to break free of whatevers holding them back.
Oh yes he did need more than a prayer, but that is all I could do..anything beyond that was my control. I was in the exact same spot as him 2 years ago. My mom kicked me out, but then I just lived on the street or on a friends couch. Me and my boyfriend at the time (husband now) didn't care about anything but getting high- we wouldn't even eat some days because heroin came first. In the end he went to prison and I couldn't stand to be alone on the street. Him going to prison helped save both our lives.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sad part is we as addicts never thought that "one shot could end it all for us". We are so busy wanting to get well that death never crosses our minds I mean it never for me it's crazy as addicts especially when you are doing heroin you think you're untouchable its sicken to think about how I was in my full addiction.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never done heroin but this applies to alcohol too. So many times I've thought "One more time, no big deal" which led to another bout of drinking. If I drink again, I don't know if I'll make it back. Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
If I drink again, I don't know if I'll make it back.
That's what scares me knowing if I go back out, I'm certain I will not make it back.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi AdelineRose, I'm having a rough time here .

I certainly didn't mean to imply that YOU did or did not do the appropriate thing.

I guess it's just frustrating because it seems for these very lost folks there just isn't enough help or support.

You'd think that nowadays we'd be more enlightened and be able to find a solution.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I apologise that in my post I didn't express my condolences AdelineRose.
I am very sorry for your loss.

D
Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alyn528 View Post
Sad part is we as addicts never thought that "one shot could end it all for us". We are so busy wanting to get well that death never crosses our minds I mean it never for me it's crazy as addicts especially when you are doing heroin you think you're untouchable its sicken to think about how I was in my full addiction.
Towards the end of when I was using if someone said stay in withdrawal or get well and you'll die - Sadly, I know 100% that I wouldn't have picked staying in withdrawal. I was so worried about not being sick- so petrified of running out of heroin that I would have rather died than be sick. Thank God those days are behind me and staying behind me forever