Notices

Alcoholic Fatty Liver Reversal Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Fatty Liver Reversal Thread

I was recently diagnosed with fatty liver and have been having a hard time finding information as to its duration of reversal, and symptoms seem to be quite short, so I joined to make a thread about it.

Please post only if you have reversed your fatty liver due to alcoholism.

Please list how long it took.
Did you stop drinking?
How much were you drinking?
What supplements did you take?
What were your symptoms and how was it diagnosed?

Hopefully I'm on the right forum for this.

Thanks

I have not reversed mine yet but in a couple months of drastically stopping my drinking and supplements there seems to be a lessening of symptoms.

My symptoms started with sweaty itchy groin, which I assumed was jock itch but would never resolve and I'm sure the fungicides I used were even harder on my liver. I started developing rashes on my shins that were quite bad and itchy and saw ATLEAST 5 doctors about the issue and most just recommended creams. I had blood work done for my liver just incase once as well which came back normal, so i assumed it wasnt that. The last doctor I saw I reasoned with to atleast check my liver and get an ultrasound, which came back as fatty liver, and this time my bloodwork was slightly elevated for ALT, that was 2 years after I had my liver checked and it came back normal, but still had same symptoms. So, finally I knew what was causing the symptoms. I also was getting tired and gaining weight.

I was drinking anywhere between 6-12 beers almost every night for a solid 3 years, and drinking heavy but not every night for atleast 2 years before that.

I drink hardly at all now and when I do its just a few beers typically once a week. Probably shouldn't drink at all. And now I'm taking Milk Thistle and Choline twice daily.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Seems like the best thing you could do for both your health and peace of mind would be to stop drinking altogether. Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal themselves if we let them.

I had some bad liver numbers and really bad blood pressure issues after years of hard daily drinking that have normalized by staying sober.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Seems like the best thing you could do for both your health and peace of mind would be to stop drinking altogether. Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal themselves if we let them.

I had some bad liver numbers and really bad blood pressure issues after years of hard daily drinking that have normalized by staying sober.
Thats good and thanks for sharing! Glad that your levels normalized.

Would you mind sharing the information regarding the questions asked? Such as how much you were drinking and how long recovery took. Were you diagnosed with fatty liver? Symptoms etc.

EDIT: Why can I no longer edit the original post?
Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I hope you decide to stop drinking for good.

Please note it's against our rules to ask for or to give any kind of medical advice.

Posts can be edited for about 15 - 20 minutes after posting, but not after that.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fatty liver can have quite a few causes. For most, abstinence and healthy food with as little fructose as possible will completely reverse it. But there can be other causes like insulin resistance, which is why talking to your doctor is your only safe bet.

However, continuing to drink with a fatty liver diagnosis is like playing Russian roulette.

FWIW I personally saw a complete reversal after 6 months sober combined with a low glycemic load diet. Alcohol and sugar are very similar when it comes to your liver, hence why even kids can have non-alcoholic fatty livers. But to be sure, consult your doc; it's their job and they have been trained in this matter.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I drink hardly at all now and when I do its just a few beers typically once a week. Probably shouldn't drink at all.
Yeah...I'd take out the probably.

Not trying to be a wiseguy but I don't really see the point of doing the other things you're doing, or asking others what we've done, if you're still drinking.

It's kinda like trying to bale out a sinking boat by making the hole in the hull bigger.

Drinking - no matter how much you've cut down - is just not the way to make a fatty liver better.

D
Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome

Yeah...I'd take out the probably.

Not trying to be a wiseguy but I don't really see the point of doing the other things you're doing, or asking others what we've done, if you're still drinking.

It's kinda like trying to bale out a sinking boat by making the hole in the hull bigger.

Drinking - no matter how much you've cut down - is just not the way to make a fatty liver better.

D
The sinking boat analogy is a good one!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks

Welcome to SR Time4Life

D
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree that abstinence is your best bet. For some reason we treat alcohol and its maladies different than other illnesses.

Imagine if you had broken an ankle by hopping around on one foot everywhere, and were saying "I should probably not keep hopping on that foot, or maybe just a few hops a few nights a week."

Just being silly. Best wishes on your health and recovery.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think that complete abstinence is the best for liver problems. Medical intervention (seeing a Doctor) is also advisable after long term drinking.