Notices

10+ year binge drinker...

Old 02-19-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10+ year binge drinker...

hello,

i am 32 years old. i started drinking @ 13. i would say i had a 'problem' by time i was 18. in that, when i drank, which was pretty much every weekend, it was to the point of blacking out. i would also often drink alone in my room at nights, even if it wasn't getting slammed, but just 4-5 beers before bed. i did this more often than not.

things started to get out of hand around the age of 21. by that time i had started getting black-out drink at least once throughout the week, on top of the weekends.

by the time i was 22, it was basically 3 nights a week of being black out drunk. have stuck to this pattern of drinking since.

i very rarely drink more than 2 days in a row, so i've never experienced full-blown withdrawal .i have however experienced such extreme discombobulation that i cannot even walk. extremely high blood pressure. full-day puking fits. etc. my hangovers have ended me in the hospital quite a few times (same deal. i puke my guts out in emerg ...rest for a couple of hours...then they give me a strong anti-nauseant, a valium on the spot to calm my nerves and then send me home with a 'script for them, so that i can treat myself at home the next time. i eventually run out of them (i am very weary of using them as it is, as i have a close friend who is addicted to benzos and it is hell for her. so i use them sparingly (maybe twice a week tops).

i've passed out on the street many times. been woken up by cops. taken to the drunk tank.
i've fallen and smashed my head many times. i've been beaten up many times. a lot of head trauma. sometimes i wake up with welts on my head and have absolutely not clue if they're from me falling or a fist. i have brain damage, for sure.

i have tried to quit many times. what always stops me is the feeling of irritability, angry outbursts, a total uptick in my OCD (to the point where i am talking to myself, angrily...like i am having imaginary arguments with people (NOT schizophrenic...this is more obsession-based), anxiety through the roof, and serious cognitive deficits (immediate memory being the worst...also, trouble reading ...)etc. what i don't understand is that i am NOT an every day alcoholic. sometimes i go nuts and binge 3 days in a row and then end up in the hospital...but it is rare. it's usually spaced out. i thought that you had to be physically addicted to alcohol to get these sort of side effects after quitting? sometimes i only drink twice in a week! granted, i drink probably 36 beer between those two days...
i am thinking my head injuries come into play here, too. i fear i have some sort of degenerative brain disease due to all the trauma incurred. it scares the crap out of me, which leads me back to drinking, which of course is hurting my brain even more...

anyone else in a similar position? i.e. being 2-3 day binge drinker type of alcoholic? and with head injuries?

thank you so much!

Last edited by Calley; 02-19-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: symptoms
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of problem drinkers like yourself that aren't full blown alcoholics, but when they do drink, can not control themselves.
It sounds like you know what happens when you do drink, and that's nothing but trouble. Now is a great time to stop!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have binge drinking issues without drinking daily. In a way, I consider myself lucky to not have to experience physical withdrawal. I recently experienced a head injury while drinking. I had to go to the hospital and get an MRI etc. I have also fallen, sprained ankles and done risky stupid things like swimming or climbing fences, getting in cars with drunk drivers. It is possible to struggle with alcoholism/binge drinking without being an everyday drinker. Have you tried seeing a doctor? Meetings? I'm interested in trying naltrexone in combination with meetings and psychotherapy. If you are really concerned about your head injuries perhaps you can get a physical checkup and discuss your issues then? Best of luck. You're not alone!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Best way to figure out if you are addicted is to not drink fora few weeks. Meanwhile it sounds you have life coping issues that are very common to all of us. We try to help each other and please know you are welcome here. There is much wisdom here. Thank you for posting.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i thought that you had to be physically addicted to alcohol to get these sort of side effects after quitting? sometimes i only drink twice in a week! granted, i drink probably 36 beer between those two days...

not sure what else you'd call that BUT addicted?

Definition: Addiction is a chronic disease characterized by drug seeking and use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences.

i suggest you seek medical help and guidance, as your condition is pretty severe. that would be the safest, wisest choice.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Calley!

I drank for 30 yrs. When I was your age I was drinking like you. I never tried to stop - just kept thinking I could control it. In the end, I found myself drinking all day, with a ruined life. It's wise of you to take a hard look at what happens when it's in your system. This is a great place to talk things over - glad to have you with us.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Calley

we have all kinds of drinkers here. I started as a binge drinker - sadly I moved on to the all day everyday kind of drinking, but I can definitely relate.

Whatever you brain injuries are don't let yourself be convinced you can never get sober. I've had a brain injury since birth and several other incidents and accidents since then...and thats not even factoring in my drinking career...but I'm looking at a 10 years sober in a few weeks.

Change really is possible

If you really feel it's a degenerative thing, see your Dr - but I'm willing to bet he or she will put your mind to rest

D
Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Calley, I was a binge drinker, became an almost everyday drinker, then "cut back" to binges once or twice every two weeks or so. It was all alcoholic drinking. It all caused me problems. Drinking as heavily as you are even a couple times a week never allows your body to function normally. Have you ever tried to quit for a month? You might be amazed at how much your irritability, etc. calm down.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Calley!

We alcoholics come in all shapes and sizes - so to speak - in terms of how much and how often we drank. That's something I really struggled with in my first few attempts at sobriety: what defines an alcoholic? Does one have to be an everyday drinker, or blackout drinker, or have withdrawals, etc. to actually be an alcoholic? The answer: it doesn't matter. If you find your quality of life suffering because of alcohol consumption, that's an issue and it has to be addressed, regardless of amount and frequency.

I was a binge drinker like you, until it progressed beyond occasional binges into a daily seventh layer of hell. That life is dunzo for me, thank goodness.

Wishing you happiness, health, and recovery. Stick around; this community is very supportive.

ABW1
Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can go a couple of weeks without drinking but when I do drink I cant stop until I am blackout. I get obnoxious, loud and sometimes mean and am always filled with anxiety when I wake up wondering what I did the night before. I thought if I stayed home and drank by myself I would be ok because no one would see or hear what I did drunk but when I'm hungover the next day I'm so sick and still filled with anxiety. I waste beautiful days hiding in my house feeling like death. I still get feelings like oh If I have a drink I'll feel so good and relaxed but I don't remember the last time I actually drank and felt good. I have never had withdrawls except for being hungover because I don't drink everyday but Ive been drinking almost every weekend for 10 years as well with blackouts and Im so done , I am enjoying sober life so so much!!