Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

been doing so well, and have managed to put myself back at square one

Notices

been doing so well, and have managed to put myself back at square one

Old 02-20-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABetterWay1 View Post
I politely caution some of us to not invalidate Emma's worries, and moreover, to just be mindful of the gender dynamics involved (we're talking about a woman in a vulnerable position, alone, with a male taxi driver, and men in this thread deciding second-hand that she's imagining it and nothing happened, when we as men will never quite understand what that's like. Sorry...I had to put it out there).

OK...now that I've gotten my 'elephant in the room' (thread?) out of the way - Emma, I once had drinking habits like yours and they eventually progressed into something far, far scarier. Rather than try to moderate, I'd say give sobriety a shot. You won't regret it.

ABW1
Hi.Your assumption that only men are 'attempting to invalidate'some of the content of the OP is not correct.I am not a male.You have indeed missed the point completely.Several of us simply advized this young woman to exercise caution,regarding pursueing an innocent taxi driver via his employers.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I politely caution some of us to not invalidate Emma's worries, and moreover, to just be mindful of the gender dynamics involved (we're talking about a woman in a vulnerable position, alone, with a male taxi driver, and men in this thread deciding second-hand that she's imagining it and nothing happened, when we as men will never quite understand what that's like. Sorry...I had to put it out there).

You've over generalized to far in the other direction.

I'm a father with two daughter's in their 20's. You have absolutely no idea what we've been through. I understand more than you will (hopefully) ever know.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets get back to helping the OP, guys.

Dee
SR
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

emma, first, I'm sorry this happened to you. I know well the feeling of having no idea what happened.

I really hope you consider quitting. You are not back at square one, you are a blackout drinker and you will never be at square one again. This is progressive. I know because I am a binge blackout drinker too.

Once you are a blackout drinker you may be able to cut back to avoid the blackout but the continuation of drinking is still doing the same harm to your insides. Eventually you will begin to overdo it again and the blackouts will start occurring. Even worse, you no longer will be able to gauge what's going to happen when you drink. I went into a blackout last May after having two drinks. I know, I laugh too when I type or say that "But officer, I oooooooooonly haaaaaaaaaaad twooo *hiccup*". I have no reason to lie to you here. I seriously only had two drinks and went from being absolutely fine to blacking completely out. Due to the damage I've done to my body by binge drinking I can no longer gauge what will happen when alcohol passes over my lips. For that reason, I am done.

It's one thing to say "I'll only have X number of drinks" and know you'll be ok. This is a progressive disease, there will come a day that X can't be defined, due to the harm to our organs anything can happen.

I hope you seriously consider quitting before something even worse happens.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lets get back to helping the OP, guys.

Dee
SR
Apologies from Me,Dee