Notices

Hope Everyone is Hanging in There ...

Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

Hope Everyone is Hanging in There ...

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing alright this weekend, finding joys, however small (my little dogs went outside in the rain to relieve themselves instead of hiding under the covers! I am so proud of them and their courage), and reaching out as needed. You are all as brave, too, making changes and transforming your lives, trying to find something better, moving step by step. Thank you for being there for me.

If you have any joys you would like to share, I would love to read them. Here is another of mine: I went to the opera for the first time (have been a subscriber for 14 years) without drinking alcohol. It had an even greater emotional effect on me than it has in the past and was a very validating, rewarding experience. Plus: berry infused seltzer and dessert bites at intermission!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many years ago, when I first got clean, I moved to London. I met a woman on the tube who played music for the opera & she invited me to go to many performances free.

I was not an opera type girl! 20 years old then. As alien to me as anything on earth.

I still remember those shows. Opera is woven through all my memories of early recovery. I loved them!

As to weekend joys, I did some energy healing work today for my sponsor. It felt very special, because typically we are in roles where I receive & today she allowed me to give & she very intentionally received.

My adult son beat me at board games & gloated this evening, at his house. I tried to explain that even if he wins, I actually win, because I created him from scratch - but this did not quiet his triumph.

Then home to the pup & tidying for beloved friends who are arriving for Mardi Gras this week,

I said no to a giant parade tonight (because I am an introvert & must ration crowd energy). That is meaningful to me. I rarely say no to invitations, but it was right. Balancing my life.

It's all what we say no to & what we say yes to.

And sometimes we say yes to things we don't know & they are unanticipated pleasures (like my memories of those operas...), & sometimes we say no & miss something (like the parade tonight, but I had a sweet night at home - it was just right!).

Thanks for instigating that forgotten memory from so long ago! Happy weekend!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another Sunday evening spent with good friends and good Indian food

D
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wen- yes there is courage and change shared at SR places. I have shown and shared and supported as such.
I do not think I would be showered with pride for weeing outside in the rain though.
I like SOME opera. What did you see and why?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My daughter got some bubbles from preschool and she wanted me to blow them for her and when I did she and her little brother were having so much fun catching and chasing the bubbles. They were so happy and it made me so happy! I thought to myself if I had been hungover today I would have said no to her and I wouldn't have seen their beautiful smiles
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for a lovely, upbeat post WenRiver. I'm glad you're enjoying your new found sobriety.

I didn't do anything special - just a hike in the snow. But the glorious feeling of not being hung over - & filled with regret - never gets old. It makes my day every time.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore;6338604[B
]It's all what we say no to & what we say yes to.[/B]
YES.

Heartcore, I LOVE that opera is woven into your early recovery memories! It is so dramatic and terrifying and confusing and magical and beautiful and emotional and impassioned, which is what recovery can be. Ah, to be 20 and in London.

It sounds as though you and your sponsor have a very special, trusting relationship. That is lovely.

Board games with family (and yes, his wins are yours because that is how genetics work; it is science) and puppy time and finding balance are a terrific way to spend the weekend!

I lived in New Orleans many many years ago in my late teens, early 20s. What a beautiful, rich, gothic city. I, too, am an introvert, and after one parade, I was satisfied! Fun and exhausting. Good for you for recognizing what you need!

Thank you so much for sharing! Enjoy your visit with your friends!
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Another Sunday evening spent with good friends and good Indian food

D
Sounds just perfect, Dee! What are some of your favourite Indian dishes? I not only love Indian food, I love COOKING Indian food, specifically my mom's recipes because I also am Indian!
Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Had a great Sunday! I hit a Na meeting and it was amazing!! I knew I was supposed to be at the meeting especially when this one lady spoke it was as if she was speaking right to me. It's amazing when someone's story can help you especially when yourself is struggling. I knew that was my Higher Power, I knew he wanted me to be at that meeting for a reason and I heard it loud and clear.

So grateful for another day of recovery❤︎
Old 02-19-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I do not think I would be showered with pride for weeing outside in the rain though.
I like SOME opera. What did you see and why?
Tee-hee, Phoenix, I had a problem with weeing outside when I was in the drink (something about embracing my primal side or some other nonsense), so I think I would be showered with pride for weeing inside now!

I saw the very delightful Falstaff. Verdi's comedy of errors that taught us that all men are buffoons and all women are conniving but it is good and fine as long as everybody can have a hearty laugh. Oi. Such simple (oft erroneous) lessons from such a complicated art form. Great cast and energy, lovely set, fun costumes. Have you seen it? Do you prefer comedies, dramas?

Why I saw the opera? I am a huge fan and have been since my youth. I love the flair and drama. I even took a stab at opera singing in college! It is better for me to be in the audience.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenofheartz09 View Post
My daughter got some bubbles from preschool and she wanted me to blow them for her and when I did she and her little brother were having so much fun catching and chasing the bubbles. They were so happy and it made me so happy! I thought to myself if I had been hungover today I would have said no to her and I wouldn't have seen their beautiful smiles
Your post literally brought tears to my eyes. Everything about it is exactly the raison d'etre. I can truly envision these sweet, precious moments with your babies. I am so happy that you can savour them. There have been so many times that I was physically present for events but with sobriety comes the emotional presence (and appreciation) which I hope to never take for granted. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Thanks for a lovely, upbeat post WenRiver. I'm glad you're enjoying your new found sobriety.

I didn't do anything special - just a hike in the snow. But the glorious feeling of not being hung over - & filled with regret - never gets old. It makes my day every time.
Hi, Hevyn! Thank you for your kind words. I tend toward the positive, the optimistic, and it feels really good to return to that after a long absence.

I love your day! And, I think I understand. Even the smallest tasks for me -- such as doing dishes, sweeping, going for a drive, bouncing out of bed -- are rich with sensation because I experience them in such a different way without the dimming, distancing effects of hangovers and regrets. Hiking is on a whole nother wondrous experience! Plus, you were hiking IN THE SNOW (I have only seen snow three or four times and it is just elegant and quiet and full of secrets).

It is so encouraging to read that you are still experiencing the magic of not being hungover because that is something I aspire to do every single day. I just peeked and saw that you are 9 years into sobriety. Congratulations!!! You are a wonderful, kind guide (is that too much pressure?) here at SR.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you so much. No, not too much pressure.

I love your description of snow. We're just a tad weary of it though. Almost 2 feet on the ground last week - but it's melting.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alyn528 View Post
Had a great Sunday! I hit a Na meeting and it was amazing!! I knew I was supposed to be at the meeting especially when this one lady spoke it was as if she was speaking right to me. It's amazing when someone's story can help you especially when yourself is struggling. I knew that was my Higher Power, I knew he wanted me to be at that meeting for a reason and I heard it loud and clear.

So grateful for another day of recovery❤︎
Alyn, those moments when energies align and flow are so powerful, aren't they? I am really happy that you experienced that and that you are so proactive about your recovery! Great job and happy Sunday!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been riding my bike and enjoying the warmer-than-usual temps we are having here in North Texas. Also just checked the radar and see we are going to have some nice rain overnight.