Notices

Tapering

Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't know what to tell you Chill, about twenty years ago I stopped smoking weed by tapering but it took a loooooong time to get free from smoking.

I have been trying to do the same with drinking however it just seems to send me back into a relapse, but that is just me.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've 'tapered' and it only led me back to drinking. Damn it! Now I'm 'that guy' that told me tapering wouldn't work. What have you guy's done to me!?!?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Seriously though... If you're tapering, it's a step and an awareness that you do have a 'problem' with the drink. That's a step in the right direction. Just take care of yourself and be serious about the 'taper' if that's your route.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Seriously though... If you're tapering, it's a step and an awareness that you do have a 'problem' with the drink. That's a step in the right direction. Just take care of yourself and be serious about the 'taper' if that's your route.
Iv'e known i have a problem for years now, this is my millionth attempt at sobriety , i am trying to tackle it tho
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Iv'e known i have a problem for years now, this is my millionth attempt at sobriety , i am trying to tackle it tho
I think 1,000,001 is your lucky number chill
Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I think 1,000,001 is your lucky number chill
That might be a good tattoo '1,000,001' lol ( i am considering getting inked when i am past this storm )
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I tapered successfully both times I quit drinking. But I did mine with wine. I just kept pouring water to dilute the wine. So I had a full bottle (the 2ltre kind) and halved it and poured water so all in all it took me 3 days. Mind you I didn't drink all day. I had waited until 7pm and the withdrawals were very minimal. I still had withdrawal but not nearly as bad as I would imagine they would have been. Both times I would have loved to go to rehab but there would be no one to take care of my son. A lot of people say that tapering won't work but I think if you really know this is it and you have to quit you can do it!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Go for it, Chilled.

You can do it, Mate.

Either tapering or cold turkey, please be safe.

I couldn't taper, had to bite the bullet both times. Lasted about 3 days but I was silly and did it without a Dr.

Stay strong like 100 lions!

Bruce.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Over the course of two weeks I consciously went from drinking

WAY TOO MUCH

to too much

to half that

half that

(etc.)

nothing (with resultant discomfort)

I knew it would still be unpleasant, and it was, but that it would be less so than if I had stopped at the first level.

I think the thing is to set a relatively short time limit (NOT six months!) and go for it.

Kind of like landing a damaged aircraft. It's still going to hurt when you hit the ground, but you will have guided yourself in to a survivable landing!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I see you're from the uk, and over there as you've found out they suggest tapering to get off booze. It absolutely can be done, but it does take discipline and the realization that you are only drinking to fend off withdrawals, not for "fun"
I did it over a few days from going from 24/7 benders, to 12, 8, 6, 3-4 then none. You will still feel like crap, but a hell of a lot better than going cold turkey.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input guys i really appreciate it!

Woke up this morning with anxiety and feeling panicky, only had 4 hours sleep! Didnt drink a huuuuuuge amount last night but still had about 5 pints which has obviously effected my mental state today!

Well im goona grab me some green juice

Have a blessed day folks!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cold turkey. No turning back. There is no try, only do.

That's how I went from a handle of vodka (the biggest US size bottle you can buy) every 2 days or less to....sober. I was very (VERY) sick and I had had enough. I didn't know what was on the other side, but I knew I'd take uncertain symptoms, sickness and fall out over certain death by drinking.

I will be one year sober on Tue (21st) and my life is real, wonderful, and full. I was quite sick immediately then went through significant PAWS - probably through 100 days when a lot of things seemed to shift- but that amount of suffering? Not so much compared to everything I went through over the years.

Good luck. I hope you finally quit drinking.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For me, tapering was my alkie mind game to keep drinking a bit longer. I quit cold turkey.