Notices

im an alcoholic and i need help

Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im an alcoholic and i need help

hi all

I've never posted on this sight before and didn't know if I should but I haven't really got anywhere else to turn and my life is in a bad way.

I'm an alcoholic as the title sais, I'm only 20 but I've been drinking for years and its just got worse and worse . I started drinking when I was younger to hide my social anxiety and feel more relaxed but then I stared drinking pretty much everyday.

I've gone through a lot of painful things because of alcohol and its made my life so much worse but when I try and stop drinking I always start again and now every time I drink I black out . its terrifying I also always drink alone . I'm sitting here today shaking because I'm so hung over I had the most embarrassing episode of my life last night ,

I decided to go to the swimming pool drunk and ended up passing out at some point, the staff there had to get me changed and help me home I'm so embarrassed I can never go back I want to stop drinking more than anything.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome.

Lots of what you say sounds very familiar to me. And how good that you've spotted this negative cycle, and that alcoholic is now a problem, rather than the solution it at first seemed to be. That is a piece of wisdom to hold on to. Alcohol gradually makes our lives more and more unmanageable if we persist in following the obsession.

Why not look up your local AA meetings and go along to some of them. You do not need to speak in front of the group at all if you don't want to. But you will get a lot of identification with what you hear, which can be a massive comfort in the early days of sobriety, and the folk there who have walked this path before us really do help us as they share their experiences and strength, giving us hope that we too can succeed in a new, sober life, free from shame and fear. It really is possible you know.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello thanks for the reply

yes I thought alcohol was the solution for a while but its ruining my life and making me ill. it feels good to talk about it on here I don't think I can manage this by myself.

I've wanted to go to AA so many times but I live in a small town and would know people in the meeting, I think the shame and embarrassment would be too much
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The good news is you don't have to feel that way ever again. Let this be the moment you commit to sobriety. Your life will change for the better for it and this cringeworthy experience will be something of the past. Not to be forgotten, but never has to be repeated again. I've had many embarrassing experiences like this, and they only got worse over time.

Once you pass the invisible line where you start drinking till passing out, you can never go back to drinking normally, so spare yourself the wondering and experimenting.

I know today you feel horrible and would want to do anything not to feel that way. The problem comes some time later, when the hangover and embarrassment fades a bit, and you have a choice whether to drink again. I can promise you choosing sobriety is the right choice.

And let me just throw it out there - it is possible to get sober without AA. I did and I'm saying it because it was a revelation to me at the time that it could be just as simple as committing and finding support here. There are other options if AA doesn't work for you. However, if embarrassment is the only reason that prevents you from trying it out - your life is more important, and all people are there for the same reason. Just know you have options and it is your choice.

Welcome to the forum. Stay here, you will find a lot of support and information. Feel better today and know change is possible and within your reach.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know, EVERYONE in an AA meeting is an alcoholic. It is run entirely by alcoholics. Anyone there went there for the first time for exactly the same reason as you. (Unlike the swimming pool). X
Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

The most important thing is that you are seeking help. Focus on that and don't even think about what others might think. It is all about you getting sober.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello melki

thank you for your message . you are so right it always happens like this, I'll get totally wasted and then wake up and tell myself ill never drink again and I don't for a while sometimes weeks even but then something will happen or nothing will happen and I get drunk again because I tell myself this time it will be different, I wont pass out again but I always do.

I know ill get the urge to drink again but I pray ill be strong this time and make it through
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I just want to add that it's absolutely fantastic that at your age you've reached out, you have sooo much life to live you don't need alcohol holding you back. I wish you all the best in your recovery. Stay with us, keep posting, join the daily threads put yourself first.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you

I'm going to go to AA because I need some support
Old 02-18-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkgirl97 View Post
I know ill get the urge to drink again but I pray ill be strong this time and make it through
Just hoping and praying for the best is not enough, I'm afraid. You need to have a plan what happens then. Visualize it. Think what you can do instead. Why not write out all your reasons now and keep this list handy?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you

I'm going to go to AA because I need some support
Great choice in getting help! Best of luck, hope it goes well. Is there a meeting today?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

no I wish there was
Old 02-18-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep posting on here ... there are some fab people on here with much advice and kindness... you should be err proud of yourself for posting and reaching out for help. .. you can change and your life can become amazingly better. ..hang in there! I found reading books on recovery immensely helpful...amazon has tonnes for cheap if u can look there. ..thinking of you today and sending positive thoughts !
Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA is a good option. I live in a college town and I know there are AA groups geared toward people in the 20's. Maybe you can find something like that?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

no I wish there was
If you give the hotline number a call they can get someone local to you (same gender) to give you a call back for a chat. Often that helps in getting through the door for our first meeting as well. Are you in the UK?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi DG. Perhaps change your name to something positive? All the shares here are gold, so I will not reinvent the wheel. Just to offer support and my thinking of you. Be proactive- sobriety does not just happen. Working through crap takes work and support. Keep posting. PJ (:-)>
Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome drunkgirl!

You sound like you're where I was at when I was 21.

I got to the point where I just knew that if I kept drinking I was going to die and I knew I had to do something about it. That was the worst place to be in--knowing I couldn't live with booze, but also believing I couldn't live without it.

But I knew I had no choice if I wanted to live, so I reached out for help. I got into a detox, from there went into a treatment centre, followed by sober living. I also got into AA, went to regular meetings, got a sponsor and worked the steps.

It took time and work, but I found out life without alcohol could be better than I'd ever dreamed. I still had problems--life still happens, but I was better able to cope and actually enjoy life.

Stick around here and you'll get support and information to help you make a plan to get and stay sober. Then you won't have to be drunkgirl anymore.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome, I'm glad you're reaching out.

I also turned to alcohol to self-medicate anxiety/depression and had no idea that it would lead me, very quickly, to alcoholism. I believe that you will be much better to manage your anxiety when you are sober. I also had blackouts towards the end of my drinking days and they are so very scary, especially for women. Remind yourself that you never have to go through this again.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wanting to quit is half the fight.

Getting educated on addiction and craving will put you in a position to get through the first month.

You will suffer physically and mentally for the first month.

Then it is mostly mental.

Eat when you crave. Sweets trick your brain and eases the discomfort.

AA didn't tell me what i just told you. SR did.

This place saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Drunkgirl. Don't be afraid to try an AA meeting. You really don't have anything to be embarrassed or ashamed of. Making a positive change for yourself, admitting you have a problem and are seeking help is a HUGE step and something to hold your head up about. Think of all the people in the world who are bogged down in misery and won't ask for help because their pride gets in the way.. And if there are people that judge you, that just means they either don't get it or they have their own ugliness inside they haven't worked out yet. Even if you find AA isn't for you, there are tons of other options available to help you get started on your journey! Wishing you the best!