Notices

Am i an alcoholic?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Am i an alcoholic?

Hi, i turned 18 2 months ago, my first drink was when i had just turned 13 (a bottle of fortified wine) which got me drunk, i walked around singing in the streets and went home. Since then i have pretty much been drinking every one to at most three weeks, i was never an angry drunk always more talkative and happy, recently but i cannot drink without ending up steaming and every time i do i end up talking to everyone i see, smoking like a chimney(which repulses me sober) and pretty much being a nusiance although i am always very happy. If ever i stop drinking i usually last at most two weeks and start to feel more anxious than usual. I should also note that recently i feel like my concentration and memory have plummeted. After the two weeks I convince my self that alcohol is not the cause of any of these problems, my questions are 1)should i give up drinking and 2)my biggest worry, is the damage permanent.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't worry whether or not you deserve the label "alcoholic", who cares?
The important piece is how you respond to alcohol. just based on what you've said, alcohol isn't doing you any favors. Does anything good happen when you do it? If something is hurting you far more than it is helping or benefiting you, you should stop doing it.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR!

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, then stopping drinking is the solution. I hope you join us.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

MIB - reading your post is like looking into my past. Of course alcohol was typically combined with not simply nicotine but other nefarious substances.

I knew pretty early in my drinking career I had problem but it really didn't stop me. I went through many years of on again, off again behavior. "Things" were just good enough in my life I could put off quitting drinking.

How could I be married, have a home - children and a good career, yet be in trouble with alcohol??? It just didn't make sense.

I am now approaching the latter 1/3 (hopefully it's just starting!) of my life soberly. Almost 3 years worth. I will always wonder what getting sober at young age could have propelled me to be. Likely more useful to myself and the world around me.

Perhaps consider seeking some counselling - maybe check out some meetings of various recovery organizations. You'll likely hear some things that you identify with and likely some you don't. You are obviously concerned so take some steps to drill deeper.

Ultimately we all decide for ourselves what to do as our problems progress. Just know you don't have to wait till the elevator goes to the basement - we can get off on any floor.

Alcoholics die everyday, young and old in many ways. Some drank a long time, some only for a few years, our stories are all a little different.

Alcohol doesn't discriminate, however.

Welcome
Old 02-17-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If alcohol is causing problems of any kind, best to stop drinking it. I've been sober over seven years now and never felt better.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
MIB - reading your post is like looking into my past. Of course alcohol was typically combined with not simply nicotine but other nefarious substances.

I knew pretty early in my drinking career I had problem but it really didn't stop me. I went through many years of on again, off again behavior. "Things" were just good enough in my life I could put off quitting drinking.

How could I be married, have a home - children and a good career, yet be in trouble with alcohol??? It just didn't make sense.

I am now approaching the latter 1/3 (hopefully it's just starting!) of my life soberly. Almost 3 years worth. I will always wonder what getting sober at young age could have propelled me to be. Likely more useful to myself and the world around me.

Perhaps consider seeking some counselling - maybe check out some meetings of various recovery organizations. You'll likely hear some things that you identify with and likely some you don't. You are obviously concerned so take some steps to drill deeper.

Ultimately we all decide for ourselves what to do as our problems progress. Just know you don't have to wait till the elevator goes to the basement - we can get off on any floor.

Alcoholics die everyday, young and old in many ways. Some drank a long time, some only for a few years, our stories are all a little different.

Alcohol doesn't discriminate, however.

Welcome
that's great advice!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome ManInBlack

I agree with others here - if your drinking is causing you problems it makes sense to stop.

Posting here regularly on SR helped me remember that things really were that bad, and I was able to get through that rationalisation stage and stay sober.

I'm not a Dr but you're a young guy - I reckon if you quit now you have a great chance of having no long term health problems.

D
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(Sorry - double post)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, ManInBlack. I'm glad you're questioning how alcohol affects your behavior. For me, it completely changed my personality - and I could never predict what might happen when I drank. It often led me into dangerous situations. I wish I had stopped decades earlier - my life would have been so different. I hope you'll stay with us.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cheers for the replies everyone some great advice!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?
Is drinking a luxury?
Or now become a necessity?
M-Bob
Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

I just like to ask myself if I want to use an addictive drug or not. That usually clears up the confusion of alcoholism / 'normal' drinking for me when I'm in doubt, and it typically gives me a window into the many people I know who kid themselves about their 'normal' use as well.

You're free to use the same method if you like it
Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You could do worse than to avoid alcohol going forward. I can't tell you how many stupid things I have done since I was your age, because of alcohol. It can land you in a lot of trouble, mess up your body, and ruin relationships with people you care about deeply. Not telling you what to do or suggesting you quit, but don't underestimate where alcohol can lead. If you decide you want to stop drinking, this is a good place to start. This forum is one of the few things that has helped me after over a decade of very heavy drinking.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can really only diagnose yourself. I'm 28, and in hindsight if I could go back 10 years and quit I would have saved myself a lot of trauma, suffering, humiliation, money, and legal trouble.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am not one for labels, however if something is causing you problems in your life then the best solution is to get rid of it

Wishing you the best, stick around SR is a great place!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! As a lot of great advice has already been stated I'll say this: I was a happy drunk..then I got bitter. Everything the drink was causing bad in my life wasn't my fault. It was the world's fault. I've now realised that was BS! I wasn't angry at the world..I was just mad at myself.